Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

this makes the Gizmondo look cool.
all theyve done is put an analogue stick on a wiz :/ for a company planning on a revolution they need to bring out some killer apps.

Flame ON!

I kind of see it like this, GPH learns dpads are what people want, but we see the 4 button dpad (luckily that was changed in the end), pandora is developed and GPH learns analog nubs are cool, so they use a analog joystick. I think GPH sees what people like/want, but have issues implementing it.

Im not big on this new iteration. At least with the F200 things from the F100 generally worked. They changed enough to need to recompile/tweak things, yeah should have started from scratch and released a more powerful device. Feels like work done on the wiz was a waste.

The 128 mb is nice to see, i really thing was a big flaw in the wiz. quake2 3d accelerate may work now.

SONY said:
I HATE YOU GamePark HOLDINGS!!!

Yeah, right - THEY TOTALLY IGNORE PEOPLE'S FEEDBACK!
The name - Caanoo - maby some clone of Dingoo :p
Analog Stick - Better wishes than F100's
LCD - ?!??!? We love OLED
Why the same SoC?
Extern WiFi = m*ck

I hope that they AT LEAST release some firmware for Wiz and fix everything they messed up in 1.2.1 and 1.1.0
They will just mess with good-selling Wiz :(
SaS

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that they AT LEAST release some firmware for Wiz and fix everything they messed up in 1.2.1 and 1.1.0
They will just mess with good-selling Wiz :(
SaS

Yes please GPH do so and software support aswell, otherwise like SaS said just mess with good-selling Wiz.

Well it's obvious that most think the analogue stick is a bad idea. Let's see if GPH gets the message and supports the people that support them. All they have to do is read this thread and view it as a microcosm of general opinion.
I wonder, with the Wiz label on those pics was this thing originally supposed to be a Wiz 2 or Wiz Remixed or something?

Off topic, does anyone elso get a pounding headache if they don't drink their morning coffee??? :blink:

Orion4874 said:
Well it's obvious that most think the analogue stick is a bad idea. Let's see if GPH gets the message and supports the people that support them. All they have to do is read this thread and view it as a microcosm of general opinion.
I wonder, with the Wiz label on those pics was this thing originally supposed to be a Wiz 2 or Wiz Remixed or something?

Off topic, does anyone elso get a pounding headache if they don't drink their morning coffee??? :blink:

It took a lot of pushing before GPH would agree to change Wiz's second dpad to segmented face buttons. In the end, this was only a minor change to a single part, with no modification to the case. Changing the analog stick in the Canoo to a d-pad would be a major part change, case revision, and board revision, all with a pretty major cost impact. I say the odds of GPH doing this now are close to none.

I don't know what GPH is thinking... My guess is that they had a problem with a supplier, so they rushed out a minor redesign of the Wiz.

The other thing is that almost nobody buys games in Korea. More R4 cards get sold than DS games. People are only willing to pay for the hardware, so GPH wants to keep the cost of the Wiz at no more than the cost of a Nintendo DS.

The real problem with GPH is the quality is crap. Bad soldering, buggy software, speakers wired backwards, etc. Also their lack of support for developers and constant GPL-violating really pisses me off.

Exophase said:
Orion4874 said:

It took a lot of pushing before GPH would agree to change Wiz's second dpad to segmented face buttons. In the end, this was only a minor change to a single part, with no modification to the case. Changing the analog stick in the Canoo to a d-pad would be a major part change, case revision, and board revision, all with a pretty major cost impact. I say the odds of GPH doing this now are close to none.

Any chance they haven't started mass production yet? If thay have then I'm sure you're right.

I do think the hardware quality of the Wiz, by all indications, was a lot better than GP2X. The ext cables weren't well done, though..

I wouldn't be too up in arms about the handheld.

At the end of the day, this is the proposed "wiz in GP2X casing" GPH was talking about for quite some time now. Why not just make the casing better looking in the process. That is exactly what they did. Going from OLED back to LCD was for-warned as well.

This is why we never truly got the the wifi dongle as they where working on this.

This is in no way a shock and should in no way be a shock to anyone here.

Trevsweb said:
this makes the Gizmondo look cool.

Hey, don't knock the Giz. I have one and use it all the time!
gizmondo-ije-50.jpg

Also, I really think South Korea and China should give up on making handheld consoles, because they only know how to pump out crap (on a yearly basis) and use f-all good research (& development).
They should leave it to capable hands...Japanese, Europeans and Americans.

SONY said:
Also, I really think South Korea and China should give up on making handheld consoles, because they only know how to pump out crap (on a yearly basis) and use f-all good research (& development).
They should leave it to capable hands...Japanese, Europeans and Americans.
Why should it matter where a company comes from?

So am I right in thinking that this new console will be another nail in the Wiz's coffin? ...and by the looks of it worse then the Wiz?

Just asking...

Jan-Nik said:
Why should it matter where a company comes from?

History has shown that South Korean & Chinese companies are "now" incapable.

Answer this? How come Nintendo, a Japanese company always triumph with almost all their handheld consoles? Is it the bucket loads of money they have?
I don't think so, because Pandora has almost a 100% approval rating from end-users.

As for Americans, well Apple iPhone 3GS has shown that it can still come into it's own in terms of competing with Nintendo and SONY in the handheld gaming stakes.
Heck! Even Nintendo, now seem to fear Apple.

Game_over said:
I wouldn't be too up in arms about the handheld.

At the end of the day, this is the proposed "wiz in GP2X casing" GPH was talking about for quite some time now. Why not just make the casing better looking in the process. That is exactly what they did. Going from OLED back to LCD was for-warned as well.

This is why we never truly got the the wifi dongle as they where working on this.

This is in no way a shock and should in no way be a shock to anyone here.

GPH was talking about selling Wiz's in F200 casing (not with sticks, with buttons) as a limited edition run to satisfy a limited demand. Then they scrapped that idea because they said not enough people were interested. No one should have expected anything like that at this point, and the resemblances to F100 here are probably more coincidental.

It's true that going back to LCD is something Tony Han mentioned a long time ago. But what we didn't know is that they'd be moving to an analog stick and sticking with the same SoC. For something that was supposed to be groundbreaking it's hard not to be a little disappointed, although I didn't have very high expectations.

Us never getting the wifi dongle should have nothing to do with this, since the wifi dongle is supposed to still be released and still be Wiz compatible. Unless you mean that they were waiting for Caanoo's release to release it, but really that doesn't make that much sense either. They probably didn't release it yet because GPH is not actually that good at releasing things in a timely fashion (yes, I know, OP is worse)

Exophase said:
Unless you mean that they were waiting for Caanoo's release to release it, but really that doesn't make that much sense either. They probably didn't release it yet because GPH is not actually that good at releasing things in a timely fashion (yes, I know, OP is worse)

GPH are also good at not making sense.

I was talking more in the sense of GPH not making any sense in what they do. It's all bs, if you ask me.

Also, if they're having trouble communicating, then there's such a thing as a translator. They should use one, because they're really not that hard to come by.

Peter R said:
SONY said:
GPH are also good at not making sense.

Could that be just because they don't natively speak English however?

Gads, will you ever learn what they are really like?

Anyway dear boy, why are you never on MSN anymore?

Back