Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

Ari64 said:
No, I gave up on GPH after I bought a GP2X. I was never able to code much of anything for it because I couldn't get the usb-net to work properly.

The kernel source. Not being able to recompile the kernel easily was one of the reasons I was never able to figure out how to get networking working.
Strangely, not only did USB-networking work for everybody else (admittedly, it was a bit of a pain to set up sometimes on the stock firmware), we also managed to compile our own kernels for Open2x. I think both of these are more a failing on your part to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ari64

Hmm, never had problems with USB Network with the F-100.
And the kernel source is in the meantime available, or not?
Afaik the problem with the missing firmware is due to problems with a 3rd party company called Dynsys, so I think you can't blame GPH here.

In fact you blame GPH here because of problems with your GP2x and not the Wiz is this correct?

Orkie said:
Strangely, not only did USB-networking work for everybody else (admittedly, it was a bit of a pain to set up sometimes on the stock firmware), we also managed to compile our own kernels for Open2x. I think both of these are more a failing on your part to be honest.
Because I failed to wait for a new firmware? That's a good idea, I think I'll wait another year and see if GPH can produce something that isn't crap.

sbock said:
And the kernel source is in the meantime available, or not?
They did eventually release kernel source, but it was not available when I needed it.

sbock said:
Afaik the problem with the missing firmware is due to problems with a 3rd party company called Dynsys, so I think you can't blame GPH here.
So is the real problem that Dynsys is stupid, or that GPH is too stupid to realize that the people they're paying are incompetent?

sbock said:
In fact you blame GPH here because of problems with your GP2x and not the Wiz is this correct?
Yes.

So is the real problem that Dynsys is stupid, or that GPH is too stupid to realize that the people they're paying are incompetent?

Ah yes, now I understand. It's the same thing as with Open Pandora and the Chinese factory.

Well USB networking has worked as long as it has been an option. I'm sure some kind of source had been available for a while before I got my GP2X - USB host stuff had already been figured out.

Wasn't Dignsys the only option? Didn't MES have some kind of deal with them?

sbock said:

Ah yes, now I understand. It's the same thing as with Open Pandora and the Chinese factory.

Nope, it would be the same if they released the Pandora withouth cases and told they will ship those later without anybody knowing if those are ordered anyway.

Also, wtf has the Pandora to do with GPH violating the GPL and why this fighting anyway? I don't see how craig/ED/OP are enemies of the wiz/wiz1.5 nor the other way round. Actually, I kind of wait for the moment people realize that a diverse OpenHandheld-ecosystem can be really enjoyable. I kind of wait for some cool multiplayer-matches between pandora/wiz1.x/a3x0, those will be awesome ;)

Also, wtf has the Pandora to do with GPH violating the GPL and why this fighting anyway?
And what has GPL violation in the year 2006 has to do with the Caanoo?

sbock said:
Are you a Wiz developer? Many developers get free Wiz and devbords and documents. Perhaps Orkie, Peter, Pickle or Exophase can confirm your statement?
What GPL violation you are talking about? And please don't again a quote from craigix aka Mr. Two Month as I don't think that that source is very reliable...

I can't speak for everyone, but I got my Wiz/BoB from ED, not directly from GPH. I assume he got some allotment for free. This is actually a much better strategy anyway since ED knows who should receive them much better than GPH. But I actually only received the Wiz after asking ED in reaction to GPH posting on their website a guide for how to run Temper on Wiz, which I suppose they just assumed I'd be porting.

GPH hasn't provided documents. We've all had the Pollux user guide, but quite bluntly that has been distributed illegally.

The Linux and U-Boot sourcecode has been provided, but long after launch and by Orkie, not by GPH (search his posts). The situation is that he personally asked for it and then distributed it. This does not constitute GPL compliance. I also don't know if this reflects latest firmware or not, but at least they're not changing the kernel version.

Incidentally, the Wiz itself has had the USB net problem Ari64 describes, where the gadget was broken at launch. This has only been fixed some months ago, and only by user intervention - which could only come after the kernel source was available. For this reason I too was fairly reluctant to develop on it (now I'm just busy with other things).

I would say that Wiz desperately needs an Open2x-like solution, and would have benefited from it most a long time ago. If you compare to Dingoo, where the users had to introduce Linux entirely, the situation is much more under control.

sbock said:

I don't personally have a problem with holding OP responsible for this, but it's a little different. The Chinese factory made several promises and lies regarding this. I don't know Dynsys's position, or if they did in fact promise and refuse various things, but I'm more expecting that GPH didn't really care in the first place. Both OP and GPH would have done better to draft contracts, I suppose. Still, it's not like GPH learned their lesson for Wiz.

I don't personally have a problem with holding OP responsible for this, but it's a little different. The Chinese factory made several promises and lies regarding this. I don't know Dynsys's position, or if they did in fact promise and refuse various things, but I'm more expecting that GPH didn't really care in the first place. Both OP and GPH would have done better to draft contracts, I suppose. Still, it's not like GPH learned their lesson for Wiz.

Well, fact is we all don't know what exactly happened in Korea. But it's always easy to say: They (in this case GPH) are stupid. That's my point.
My Pandora analogy only want to show: There are other companies who have similar problems with 3rd party development/manufacturing and imho you can't blame them. Neither OP or GPH. It was Ari64 who seem to have a different opinion..

I wish they would do some sort of trade in, like nintendo did when they released the DSiXL
Cuz I would trade my wiz for that thing :)

songhead95 said:
I wish they would do some sort of trade in, like nintendo did when they released the DSiXL

Yeah, nice idea. Like that...

Still, the current WIZ kernel source is not released, regardless what happened with the GP2X.

EvilDragon said:
Still, the current WIZ kernel source is not released, regardless what happened with the GP2X.

Have you or someone else asked GPH?

sbock said:
songhead95 said:

Yeah, nice idea. Like that...
Yes, and they should accept bricked Wiz prototypes with 2 dpads for trade-in too :D

Seriously, as long as it'll be 100% backwards-compatible with Wiz applications that run at 320x240, it's all good. This is like the transition from F-100 to F-200, if anything Wiz owners should be happy that the platform will continue to be produced and new software will keep appearing.

sbock said:
EvilDragon said:

I know some asked, as they asked me to get it from GPH...

Last edited:
conso said:
Nope, it would be the same if they released the Pandora withouth cases and told they will ship those later without anybody knowing if those are ordered anyway.

OpenPandora have released the Pandora and started shipping units without the TV-Out cables and told customers on the forum (not in a note included with their packaged product) that they will ship the TV-Out cable later because they have NOT been "ordered" because the TV-Out cable manufactoruer (the same case factory) apparently want an order for 10,000 units and OpenPandora have sold about 500.

Just a thought. How about we try to avoid bashing anyone for their stupidity, just for one thread? Because AFAICS, it's pretty easy to find anyone on the planet and if you look thoroughly enough through their personal history, you'll find them doing SOMETHING stupid.

I'm disappointed that this keeps turning into a discussion about Pandora vs GPH. I don't really see how that's relevant...

Pandora is far too expensive to be considered in the same category. As was mentioned before in the thread, there's definitely room for a $100 to $200 open handheld. However, for various reasons, most of us seem to feel that this is not it.

quadomatic said:
I'm disappointed that this keeps turning into a discussion about Pandora vs GPH. I don't really see how that's relevant...

Pandora is far too expensive to be considered in the same category. As was mentioned before in the thread, there's definitely room for a $100 to $200 open handheld. However, for various reasons, most of us seem to feel that this is not it.

It's not yet released and already many people come here in the Wiz section and start bashing GPH and insulting people. Even the English distributor start to bash products he sell in his shop and members of this community. No mod in sight for miles around.
On the other side: When I post 1 post in Pandora section and ask a slightly critical question the mods swarm in and the topic is closed and the next day people flame me.
So people do not like the Caanoo? That's OK for me. Everybody has other favors. But I think we can discuss this well mannered. I have problems with people bashing other people and companies. I have problems with distributors who don't stand behind their products and don't support them. Why are they selling the product anyway? I have problems with people calling other stupid. Just as Monk says, nobody is without flaws...
So you say the majority of people think this is a failure. OK. Fine. Then this is a product for a minority. I hope you have no problem with this...

BTW: I dont like the new Dingoo, but I accept that other find it a nice console. I never would go in the Dingoo section and call the console, company or other community members stupid.

EvilDragon said:
sbock said:
EvilDragon said:

I know some asked, as they asked me to get it from GPH...

Seriously, have anyone considerated contact the following?

http://gpl-violations.org
Freedom Task Force
Linux Foundation

This is very sad and a negative point to GPH, since they had GPL issues in the GP2X days too..

I'm sure if someone manages to actually ask them for the source they would comply.

Besides, what does the GPL say about languages? Suppose that GPH don't understand what you are asking in English as it is not their native language. Surely it is infeasible for people who make use of the GPL to have available to them translators for every possible language on Earth. Therefore, it stands to reason that the onus is on the person requesting the source to ask GPH in their native language.

This is of course bearing in mind that GPH are not in violation of the GPL by not providing the source as a public download; only if they refuse to provide it upon request.

Back