Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

DaveC said:
And where are the speakers? It has none from the look of it. So that means you have to stick earphones in you ear every time you want to play a game? That is retarded.

The speakers are on the back.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:

Thanks for a nice, calm, factual post. I must admit that personally, I've never been a fan of devices that have the speakers facing away from me. I guess that a surface below/behind (like a table) could reflect a lot of the sound back towards me, but it seems inefficient - especially in a battery-powered device - to be pushing the sound AWAY from my ears rather than towards them :(

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:
And where are the speakers? It has none from the look of it. So that means you have to stick earphones in you ear every time you want to play a game? That is retarded.

Oh dear...

EvilDragon said:

like on the dingoo a330 then? probably there where you hold the device or on a bit better place?

Pff I guess it could be cool if you're in to buying new hardware every 6 months. Personally I'm not interested in a GPH hardware subscription. The WiZ was the last GPH hardware I'll ever buy period.

1. The WiZ hasn't been out long enough for its potential to be realized.
2. The WiZ hasn't been out long enough to get a really strong development community.
3. Non developers wont want to buy hardware so often, or wont be able to afford to do so.
4. Developers will get tired of porting their work every 6 months.
5. The tech is less interesting, negative progress going back to LCD.

There are 5 solid reasons why this is a BAD thing.

xteraco said:

we don't know yet how good the compatibility between the wiz+caanoo will be, so i think we should wait and see what the first real-life tests will bring. everything else is pure speculation (though i bet the LCD doesn't have a 240x320 mode to be compatible with the OLED ;) )

it's true that they should've waited and support the first wiz version more than they actually did. they had several delays (windows sdk, wifi, fungp) - but that's a different story. when the caanoo comes out, everything (hopefully) the wiz-1.0 owners wanted will already be there.

i think we should give it the device a chance. i was researching a bit yesterday, and there is no device comparable to the wiz/caanoo out there at the moment when it comes to 3d (dont throw in pandora, it costs twice as much). it's not used that much yet - but i guess it will in the future, also having the joystick allowing better control for that kind of games.

crow_riot said:
xteraco said:

we don't know yet how good the compatibility between the wiz+caanoo will be, so i think we should wait and see what the first real-life tests will bring. everything else is pure speculation (though i bet the LCD doesn't have a 240x320 mode to be compatible with the OLED ;) )

it's true that they should've waited and support the first wiz version more than they actually did. they had several delays (windows sdk, wifi, fungp) - but that's a different story. when the caanoo comes out, everything (hopefully) the wiz-1.0 owners wanted will already be there.

i think we should give it the device a chance. i was researching a bit yesterday, and there is no device comparable to the wiz/caanoo out there at the moment when it comes to 3d (dont throw in pandora, it costs twice as much). it's not used that much yet - but i guess it will in the future, also having the joystick allowing better control for that kind of games.

It's not GPH's fault that the Wiz wasn't better accepted. People like Craig, who would have been a main european stockist slammed the Wiz, and didn't support it enough to get it off the ground, which he did do with the GP32 and the GP2x, instead focusing on building his own thing this time round.

GPH is obviously trying to get some more attention for their brand by coming up with some new hardware. You can hardly blame them, since this thread clearly shows us that you can't please everyone.

I should point out also that people are complaining about the analogue stick being bad for emulation. Doesn't the Wiz currently enjoy some popularity in South Korea from games alone?

Peter R said:
I should point out also that people are complaining about the analogue stick being bad for emulation. Doesn't the Wiz currently enjoy some popularity in South Korea from games alone?

i hope that's true. i like retro gaming, but i enjoy well made unique titles even more :)

Exophase said:
sbock said:
So you don't want to support GPH anymore and the new platform. That's very sad but OK for me. If other consoles are easier for development, obtain the GPL, are cooler and GPH consoles suck at this point I can understand that, even I'm no developer.

I never said I'd never support GPH again. Further, how much they honor GPL means nothing to me when deciding if I want to support something. I have no idea if this platform will be easy to develop for or not, that's not a factor. The reality is very simple: I don't think an analog-only handheld is appropriate for emulators (at least any I'd be doing) so I'm not going to bother. If someone else wants to port my stuff they can have at it, I'll lend the source to anything closed too.
I didn't really intend to start a long discussion about the GPL. There was a reason why I wanted the source and I was unhappy when I found out it was unavailable.

That was just one of many dumb things that GPH did. Another was that when I received my GP2X, the polarity of one of the speakers was reversed.

Surprisingly, the joystick on my GP2X worked fine. I know that a lot of people had problems with this part, so maybe I got lucky and got one that wasn't defective.

Nova said:
It's not GPH's fault that the Wiz wasn't better accepted. People like Craig, who would have been a main european stockist slammed the Wiz, and didn't support it enough to get it off the ground, which he did do with the GP32 and the GP2x, instead focusing on building his own thing this time round.
It is entirely GPH's fault. If the GP2X had been better, I might have bought a Wiz. Craig's opinion had nothing to do with it, and I didn't buy the GP2X from him.

BTW What does "Caanoo" mean anyway?

This really is like a joke thread.

'How could GPH mess up their next system'.

Analogue stick and no Dpad.

Drop the OLED.

Use the same Wiz SOC.

Put the speakers on the back.

Lolz.

They would never do that stuff.

craigix said:
This really is like a joke thread.

'How could GPH mess up their next system'.

Analogue stick and no Dpad.

Drop the OLED.

Use the same Wiz SOC.

Put the speakers on the back.

Lolz.

They would never do that stuff.

i think its worth noting they are also changing to EABI from OABI, which also make all existing wiz software useless.

Back