Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

Mmh, I've been contemplating switching to just phones. This announcement just pushes me further along. If someone makes some homebrew games for both platoforms because of this, it's a success. But I won't be buying one.

Pickle said:
craigix said:
This really is like a joke thread.

'How could GPH mess up their next system'.

Analogue stick and no Dpad.

Drop the OLED.

Use the same Wiz SOC.

Put the speakers on the back.

Lolz.

They would never do that stuff.

i think its worth noting they are also changing to EABI from OABI, which also make all existing wiz software useless.

I think that pretty much sums it up. I've not had any desire to buy a Wiz and won't for this console either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I think GPH did quite well with the Wiz - the controls are ok and the OLED screen is nice (yes it's rotated but it is less of a problem now that it does 120Hz by default in the firmware, many no longer even notice). The screen makes it really unique for me, response time, viewing angles and black level is the best I've seen on a handheld so far, even pandora is far behind in that regard. The firmware was useable on release, compared to the one with autobricking "feature" on F100 release. They should have handled the source code better though, what happened to that svn they used to host in F100 times?

Don't known what they are thinking with that Caanoo (is this name meant to compete with Dingoo?), but I'll wait for release before judging. Meanwhile I should get another Wiz while it's still possible, the developer ones have missing charging chip and needs that clunky devboard to be useable at all, also USB host is unstable on mine for some reason.

notaz said:
Meanwhile I should get another Wiz while it's still possible, the developer ones have missing charging chip and needs that clunky devboard to be useable at all, also USB host is unstable on mine for some reason.

Im with you on that "clunky devboard" ;-)

I have a dev Wiz (kindly donated to my by WarmFluffyUK) - what's this "missing charging chip" about then?

Incidently, I really do like my Wiz. Rarely use GP2Xs at all as a result.

iprice said:
I have a dev Wiz (kindly donated to my by WarmFluffyUK) - what's this "missing charging chip" about then?

Incidently, I really do like my Wiz. Rarely use GP2Xs at all as a result.

Some of the wiz's released by gph (give to evildragon) do not have the charging chip in the wiz, but on the dev board (breakout board). So in order to charge the wiz and the board have to be connected to a usb plug.

Cheers Pickle. Obviously mine was from a more recent production model, as I can charge it via USB without a BOB. The battery is mup though and doesn't hold charge for long at all.

No one has actually asked this.
ED: which of the two renders in the first post is the more recent? Notice on the second one;
- Different colour
- Power switch is on the left
- Analogue stick seems more flush
- Extra button on the left
Edit: no extra button, just a different shape.

Peter R said:
Are you certain that they are doing this?

Yes, I can confirm this.

Orkie said:
You do know the kernel has an OABI compatibility mode Pickle...?

I know, and I told that to GPH. They wanted to work to make the games compatible.
But according to an eMail I just got, they seem to be a bit clueless.
They mentioned that the games can't be compatible because the Caanoo has double the RAM (which doesn't make much sense for me... if games don't use more than 32MB RAM, they should work on both...).

I'll try to help them... the devices HAVE to be compatible... what sense would the same SoC have otherwise??

Last edited:
Ed, while you're at it, please tell 'em to;-

• Add a d-pad in there somewhere
  • Put the speakers on the front of the system (or the bottom if they want)
  • Use LCD with an LED back-light for the screen
  • Have it so that the WiFi is built-in
  • Scrap the G-sensor and replace it with rumble
  • Up the Internally Flash Memory from 2GB to 32GB
  • Bring the processor speed from 533Mhz to 1.5Ghz
  • No more SoC, as I hate SoC
  • Increase RAM to 1GB
Sh*t! What am I thinking? My request is for a whole new console, meaning tell them to scrap this Caanoo crap ASAP!

To be perfectly fair I want one. I have to say it looks a kinda like a Tapwave Zodiac. Also why didn't gph upgrade screen res to 640x480 because the screen is larger there is no point in keeping it 320x240. I do like the addition of an analogue stick. For the love of God wifi 802.11b/g/n. Also 600mhz processor and 128mb. It would be cool if I could listen to music while playing games. However I do like how they got rid of the stupid to dpad thing and put in better controls.

linuxftw said:
To be perfectly fair I want one. I have to say it looks a kinda like a Tapwave Zodiac. Also why didn't gph upgrade screen res to 640x480 because the screen is larger there is no point in keeping it 320x240. I do like the addition of an analogue stick. For the love of God wifi 802.11b/g/n. Also 600mhz processor and 128mb. It would be cool if I could listen to music while playing games. However I do like how they got rid of the stupid to dpad thing and put in better controls.

For perfect Wiz screen size compatibility.

Also, where the hell did you get 600Mhz and WiFi b/g/n from???

One more thing...Lol, I can't believe you called a/the d-pad, "stupid" and you said, "put in better controls". :(

EDIT: It looks nothing like a Tapwave Zodiac.

SONY said:
linuxftw said:

For perfect Wiz screen size compatibility.

Also, where the hell did you get 600Mhz and WiFi b/g/n from???

One more thing...Lol, I can't believe you called a/the d-pad, "stupid" and you said, "put in better controls". :(

[/quote
I don't know I just want a faster processor and fast wifi I know those things won't happen but it would be nice. I said the two dpad thing was stupid sorry for the typo I hate how on the Wiz the actions buttons are a dpad so annoying to press so tiny. I think the controls are better. I would say the design is a little bit like a Zodiac maybe I'm imagining things but whatever.

EvilDragon said:
They mentioned that the games can't be compatible because the Caanoo has double the RAM (which doesn't make much sense for me... if games don't use more than 32MB RAM, they should work on both...).
ouch, it seems they have no clue about software then :huh:

I'll try to help them... the devices HAVE to be compatible... what sense would the same SoC have otherwise??
please, please!

SONY said:
I believe he was referring to the control layout of the device which really does look like the layout of the tapwave zodiac.

EvilDragon said:
Orkie said:
You do know the kernel has an OABI compatibility mode Pickle...?

I know, and I told that to GPH. They wanted to work to make the games compatible.
Kernel compatibility with OABI isn't a problem, but shared libraries are. How are they dealing with that? I guess they could put the old libs in a chroot (yuck).

EvilDragon said:
But according to an eMail I just got, they seem to be a bit clueless.
Why can't they hire someone who has a clue? I don't understand this strategy of using different contractors all the time.

EvilDragon said:
How is the memory layout done in the new system? Do they still have 32MB reserved?

EvilDragon said:
It's been suggested that they had to do a quick redesign due to problems with availability of the OLED. Testing a new SoC probably would have taken too long. Remember what happened when the GP2X was discontinued before the Wiz was available?

Looks like they were aiming for something like the GP32 because that was so successful, but that analog stick must be a lost in translation thing ... people liked the stick on the GP32, so they choose to go with a stick with this one? But the important part is that the GP32 used micro switches so it was more like an arcade stick / Neo Geo Pocket stick? :unsure:

They will get it right someday, right? And yeah, that SoC is not very attractive at this day and age.

Back