Callendar / Date / Time?

Duckbite

Still Fresh
is it possible to add date and time to the shell? Maybe even a callendar... store appointments etc. :) i know this sounds much like a pda but it would be very handy sometimes.

Calender is definitely possible. Time is not because the GP2X has no way of keeping track of time (power off=time gone if you save it). However, someone has to make something or port something, and it is not likely anyone would want to anyway, because you can't keep track of time. In short, no, unless you want a calender that can't tell you when it is time for something and may have the incorrect date. GP2X = not PDA

well, if someone finally gets wifi working it could still be possible: The gp2x could get the current time from some internet time server.

nites posted on Feb 22 2006 at 05:00 PM said:
well, if someone finally gets wifi working it could still be possible: The gp2x could get the current time from some internet time server.

still not all that possible on account that not everywhere is coverd by a wifi access point

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there'd be some way to have a clock. PCs (and the Nintendo DS) are able to accurately know the time even after they've been powered off for weeks. Perhaps it would have to be part of the firmware to actually utilize a small bit of battery while the unit is off to keep the clock going, but I'm sure it could be done.

However, it wouldn't be the greatest app, though, due to how long the GP2X boot is, plus navigating to the actual clock app. A calendar wouldn't be a great idea, either, since there'd be no real easy way to add appointments (no keyboard = hard typing interface.) Perhaps if a USB/EXT keyboard comes out, but even then, you still have the load time issues.

Good idea, but like Shikaku said, the GP2X isn't a PDA, it's an entertainment device.

Stop trying to make my toy useful. ;-P

is the time not kept by keeping the cmos powerd via the battery which keeps ticking while the system is offline i beleive thats how carts like pokemon work aswell

or something along those lines

The PC's mainboards have got a small battery inside them, this is why it always knows the correct time... this is also how you can "restore" the BIOS to the "passwordless" state ;D.

The NDS probably gets the power through its batteries, but I am not sure if such a thing is possible on the GP2X, especiall with this hardware-powerswitch, I guess the GP2X doesnt support A(damn i forgot the name, advanced power managment I mean).

Good idea, but like Shikaku said, the GP2X isn't a PDA, it's an entertainment device.

the GBA and the neo geopocket were "toys" too,tough they have their clokc calendar etc...(the neo geo pocket had this feature built-in,for the gba it was a rom with a pda function called..guess what?pda organizer....)

maybe it is possible to put in a virtual keybord to type small memo's. :)
i still think it'll be a cool option using my gp2x as a kind of pda, who know's what the future will bring.......

Solstar posted on Feb 23 2006 at 09:32 PM said:

the GBA and the neo geopocket were "toys" too,tough they have their clokc calendar etc...(the neo geo pocket had this feature built-in,for the gba it was a rom with a pda function called..guess what?pda organizer....)
The Neo Geo Pocket has a separate battery to keep the time/date running...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back