Pandora Camera On The Pandora - Why Not?

jakshep2

Website
Visit site
Is it possible to have a camera mounted on the back of the pandora screen, for taking pictures/ recording videos? if not, how come? I know I can't really expect more from this machine, but wouldn't it be cool to have a camera?

The design seems to show you that you can put the camera in any position via the cable. depending on where the USB port is located on the unit itself, I could place it on the rear of the screen as if it were built in. very very cool indeed.

Or you could always try something like this:
bag.jpg

There are hundreds of tiny USB and other type of cameras. Just use them. I hope that guy ports the eyetoy-like thing he made.

imbored said:
Or you could always try something like this:
bag.jpg
... I didn't think SDIO was going to be possible, as drivers aren't open-source... I vaguely remember having this discussion about the GP2X a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rayek said:
... I didn't think SDIO was going to be possible, as drivers aren't open-source... I vaguely remember having this discussion about the GP2X a few years ago.
There's now an open source sdio stack. It doesn't mean everything is supported, but it goes some distance.

I think you guys are overly complicating things.

Isn't there going to be a full sized USB port on the top right behind the open screen? Just open the screen so that the device is 'flat' and remove the camera cable. Now you have a camera right behind your screen for taking shots.

Pandora:
pandoraboardv2smallno4.jpg
Camera minus cable:

Quick and Dirty MSPaint ('d ps a camera onto the Pandora, but can't find a shot of the back of it):

pandoracamera1cl0.jpg

Voi-la, no fuss, no muss.

Edit: One possible issue. I hope the USB contacts on both devices align so you're not taking pictures of the back of your LCD... :p

Edit 2: Nah we're good. Thank god for the hi-res pics. Analysis:

Also, for those who want adjustable positions, you can try these sorts of things:

Or just use the short bendable hard USB cable that comes with the thing:

what if you want to use it as on top of the screen webcam, though?

I guess it wouldn't be hard to mount

Kyosys said:
what if you want to use it as on top of the screen webcam, though?

I guess it wouldn't be hard to mount
Why not something like this? (clip it anywhere you want, this one even has night vision for the pervies):

Kinamax:

This one clips on and has a retractable cable:

Or this Aneo one:

Or just use the short bendable hard USB cable that comes with the thing to aim it how you like:

BackAssward said:
Why not something like this? (clip it anywhere you want, this one even has night vision for the pervies):

Kinamax:

That's like the one I bought from the computer fair about 4-5 years ago. It only cost me £8.00 at the time but it works with Linux fine and the night vision is definitely useful (not just for perving either ;) ). The in built mic never worked right but was easily removed.

RedStar1949 said:
it'd be cool to actually have a compatability list for this
I'm sure we will have one. Once, you know, there's actually Pandoras to test compatibility on.

BackAssward said:
Quick and Dirty MSPaint ('d ps a camera onto the Pandora, but can't find a shot of the back of it):

pandoracamera1cl0.jpg
Um, yeah, the surface of the LCD would be on the other side of the lid to a camera plugged into the USB socket. Depending on the orientation of the plug on the camera you'd either get a picture of the back of the lid or a picture of the floor.

Firefox said:
BackAssward said:

(large picture that doesn't need to be placed in a quote pyramid)
Um, yeah, the surface of the LCD would be on the other side of the lid to a camera plugged into the USB socket. Depending on the orientation of the plug on the camera you'd either get a picture of the back of the lid or a picture of the floor.

He said that the orientation of the plug would have it rotated away from the LCD. And if you make sure the Pandora is at a 90-degree angle or so to the floor, you wouldn't be photographing the floor.

A streaming preview to the Pandora would help in getting the picture right of course

That would be pretty cool. Just plug that camera into the back usb port, open the screen all of the way and have the camera send what it sees and just press the right shoulder button to take the picture.

Back