Can anyone detail this baby for me?

gpgorbosjr

Still Fresh
Can anyone either detail what this thing can do, or provide me with a link. I can't seem to find one.

Or, let me explain.

I saw the Pandora on Engadget for the first time today and went crazy, but it being the price it is and me not expecting it if I were to buy it now I'd be a little screwed financially.

However the Wiz is a bit closer in price range and I was wondering what exactly its full capabilities are. Or if I should just sit pack and wait to see if I can get a Pandora come second batch?

EDIT: I should probably add that I'm only looking to a device like this for gaming only.

Just look it up on wikipedia, that has a pretty good explanation of what it is. It's a pretty capable device in terms of emulation but not a powerful as the Pandora of coarse. It should have relatively identical library to the GP2X but also a host of small 3D titles to it's own. I would compare it to the GP2X f100 sense it brings back telnet over usb IIRC. It does have a touchscreen too though.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_JeJoSO6nFg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_JeJoSO6nFg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Thanks for the video, that answered a lot of my questions.

Probably going to wait for the 2nd batch of Pandoras. I knew it wouldn't emulate DS, but he kind of kill joyed the situation when he said he didn't know about 64.

No ones tried to port/write a N64 emulator on either of the systems, so that's why ED doesn't know. Zodttd was going to see if it would work for Pandora but that's on hold at best. you never know, it could end up on both if the system(s) fall into the right hands. As for the library, besides maybe some games/demos in time for Christmas, the library for homebrew will be pretty bare bones as well. I'll try my best to put out something by then as well :wink:

It seems likely that n64 emulation is possible, on the grounds that Zottd said it most likely was (a dev who recently backed out) and the psp can run it with a processor at somewhere around twice the speed.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm probably going to keep an eye on these two and the second N-64 is ready to go pick one of them up. Otherwise my DS/Flashcard still does me pretty well.

Which reminds me, I wonder how fast will they hack the Nintendo DSi, it has a SD slot (most likely SDHC compatible). That will bring homebrew to the masses in it's own right.

Game_over said:
Just look it up on wikipedia, that has a pretty good explanation of what it is. It's a pretty capable device in terms of emulation but not a powerful as the Pandora of coarse. It should have relatively identical library to the GP2X but also a host of small 3D titles to it's own. I would compare it to the GP2X f100 sense it brings back telnet over usb IIRC. It does have a touchscreen too though.
...snip...
Hadn't seen that video before now, thanks! Still hasn't persuaded me though :)

gpgorbosjr said:

Probably going to wait for the 2nd batch of Pandoras. I knew it wouldn't emulate DS, but he kind of kill joyed the situation when he said he didn't know about 64.
They don't know about N64 on the Pandora either though. Which ever one someone attempts to write it for it will still be a huge amount of work.

gpgorbosjr said:

I cant't figure out a single N64 game I want that I dont own. For me this is a SNES and Gen beast so thats what I want.

StriderNo9 said:
gpgorbosjr said:

I cant't figure out a single N64 game I want that I dont own. For me this is a SNES and Gen beast so thats what I want.

My problem isn't playing games, it is that I want to play them on the go lol.

To be honest the wiz isn't good as pandora i don't recommend it at all, it similar to psp without keyboard.
Terms of specs is not good as pandora, not many people pre ordered the wiz, the pandora sold 2000 units in 6 hours, check the difference below:

Pandora processor 600mhz-900mhz/Wiz processor 533mhz
Pandora 128mb ram/Wiz 64mb ram
Pandora internal memory 256mb ram/wiz int memory 64mb ram
Pandora keyboard:yes/wiz keyboard:no
Pandora usb port: yes/wiz usb port:no

Pandora let you connect control pads,hard drives,pendrives without a cradle the gp2x doesn't have any usb port so you can't connect anything.
The following emulators will appear on pandora psx,n64,jaguar,dreamcast maybe bit slow,32x the pandora is the future not the wiz if you looking for good system go for pandora it can do more thing than wiz, i've already pre ordered my pandora console.

sukhiextreme said:
To be honest the wiz isn't good as pandora i don't recommend it at all, it similar to psp without keyboard.

The following emulators will appear on pandora psx,n64,jaguar,dreamcast maybe bit slow,32x the pandora is the future not the wiz if you looking for good system go for pandora it can do more thing than wiz, i've already pre ordered my pandora console.

Oh, please - take it to the Pandora forum. This is the Wiz forum, and you sound like some kind of weird reverse-quasist. The Wiz is the successor to the GP2X, it's far more powerful than the GP2X, and given the state of emulation on the 2x at the moment, it will handle a lot of stuff just fine.

It's not a case of "this is poor, go buy a pandora instead" - people that buy the Wiz might have their own reasons for doing so. A great deal of people want to support GPH and buying the Wiz will do that. More people might not want to put money down on a console that's not even been built yet. Yet more people see the Pandora as overkill, and too powerful for their needs.

And some people just like the looks and styling of the Wiz.

There's no call for you to come barging in here and telling everyone they're wrong for wanting a Wiz.

D.

I think the Wiz would just fine for emus like snes etc. Think it has a easier way to hold it as a game device.
Then again first need to hold them both to be sure ofcourse ;)

But no it isn't poor man's Pandora :p

What do you guys know about the Ap Store? Are only commercial games going to be available on it or freeware as well? How much are they planning on selling games for or is that up to the developers? Any other details that anyone knows of?

I'll wait and see the state of PSX emulation on the Wiz(mostly in terms of controls) as I'd like to have a small device when I don't need the power/features of a Pandora. Of course, there are some things I'd like a Pandora for anyway...

Back