Can Anyone Estimate The % Of Games That Work?

imdaicon

Still Fresh
I've been lurking here for a little over a month debating myself about purchasing a GP32. The BLU+ issue doesnt bother me as it seems C64 and Genesis emualtion has been addressed. My main use of the Gp32 would be in this order: Genesis, C64 and maybe some Colecovision stuff. I dont care about movies, mp3s etc.

So my question is could anyone estimate what % of Genesis games work?

What about C64 games? I've been to the Frodo webapge and they have a list of working games and game requests. It seems alot of games I was interested in arent on either list. My favorite C64 game, Star Rank Boxing, isnt on either list( I believe outside of the US it was called: Barry McGuigan World Championship Boxing) Has anyone ever tried to get this one going? Hvae you found games that arent on the working list run properly?

I have a GBA for NES emulation and have been absolutely thrilled with it. If I could add a handheld Gen and C64 to my collection I my never leave the house again. But I'd feel kinda foolish to drop $200+ and then be disappointed by the expereince if alot of games I used to love dont run.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've been lurking here for a little over a month debating myself about purchasing a GP32.  The BLU+ issue doesnt bother me as it seems C64 and Genesis emualtion has been addressed.  My main use of the Gp32 would be in this order: Genesis, C64 and maybe some Colecovision stuff.  I dont care about movies, mp3s etc.

So my question is could anyone estimate what % of Genesis games work?

What about C64 games?  I've been to the Frodo webapge and they have a list of working games and game requests.  It seems alot of games I was interested in arent on either list.  My favorite C64 game, Star Rank Boxing, isnt on either list( I believe outside of the US it was called: Barry McGuigan World Championship Boxing)  Has anyone ever tried to get this one going?  Hvae you found games that arent on the working list run properly?

I have a GBA for NES emulation and have been absolutely thrilled with it.  If I could add a handheld Gen and C64 to my collection I my never leave the house again.  But I'd feel kinda foolish to drop $200+ and then be disappointed by the expereince if alot of games I used to love dont run.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I would say around 80% of Genesis games work with full sound. Most of the RPGs work as do the big games like the Sonic series, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of rage, Rocket Knight adv. This emu is still being worked on so expect the percentage of working games to go up.

NES works great on the GP32 too as it runs FULL resolution unlike the GBA which has resolution cut to fit the small low res screen. Plus the backlighting looks much better than GBA frontlight.

C64 is very good but I am unsure of percentage. I know that most of the games that I try do work, but no way to know if the games you like will all work. Lists are almost always incomplete, they only reflect the games tried.

I would say 95% of Coleco stuff works, except for the stuff that needs options like roller controller, superaction controllers, steering wheel, those don't work. There is a great Atari 800 emu that runs 5200 stuff too.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have come across 1 game that dosnt work.

Zool.

I have 50 roms on my smc.

About 60% work perfectly full-speed with sound and no bugs.

Of the remaining about 20% of them minor bugs (but the games are still very playable) and the other 20% are unplayable.

Keep in mind though that I only have DrMDv1.0, and Reesy has released 5 betas to his beta testers since then. ;)

BTW, SNES emulation is also very good (osnes9xgp); games like Donkey Kong Country are fullspeed with sound about half the time at 156Mhz.

Like I said I have only tried 30 or so games and had problems with zipped games. DrMD says "Failed to unzip" with most games I tried that are over 2MB. Sonic 1 works ok zipped on my gp but not zipped sonic 3.

Like I said I have only tried 30 or so games and had problems with zipped games. DrMD says "Failed to unzip" with most games I tried that are over 2MB. Sonic 1 works o.k. zipped on my gp but not zipped sonic 3.
then you should try to rezip them, as SONIC 3 runs zipped for me!

well....you could always put less on your smc AND NOT ZIP EM UP.

Although I must admit I've never had this pproblem and I've tested about three hundred roms or so... A lot don't work because of cyclone bugs (which Reesy is fixing) but there are MANY more that do work with great speed and sound.

Like I said I have only tried 30 or so games and had problems with zipped games. DrMD says "Failed to unzip" with most games I tried that are over 2MB. Sonic 1 works ok zipped on my gp but not zipped sonic 3.

What are you using to compress/zip your games, As i have never had any problems with zipped games in DrMD, And i have tried hundreds.

I use winrar btw, With its default options, Except choosing .zip instead of .rar as the compression format.

Trooper

Its probably your roms because I get Sonic 3 and Road Rash running. Road Rash isn't great on it though.
And anyway, the Game Gear version of Road Rash is superior to the Genesis version. Seriously! :ph34r: The Genesis one has slidy controls.

Oh, with regards to my earlier compatibility comment, I must have tried about 70 games or so...

Back