Best/notable C64 Games?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
You may have seen my list a week or two back with my 'best' and 'notable' list of Atari ST games.. a lot of people remarked they dug it, and I got to thinking it might be time for another round of peoples favourites :)

ie: For me, a lot of emulation boils down to..

Atari ST (16 bit) and Atari XE/XL/etc (Atari 8 bit)
Amiga (16 bit) and C64 and Vic-20 (Commodore 8 bit)
SNES
Genesis
TG16
Atari 2600
Arcade
Colecovision

And to a lesser extent:
NES - I know, its huge to a lot of you, but I only need a few NES titles, since I never had a NES as a kid :)
GG/SMS - had a GG, but the 16-bit versions are always better :p
Vectrex - Never had one until recently
Others I'm forgetting for sure :)

(And ignoring Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, ScummVM, etc here too.)

The ST, 2600, vic-20 and arcade I know like the back of my hand. SNES and Genesis and TG16 I've gotten pretty comfortable with over the last few years. (Love my Turbo Express!)

So my personal weak points would be C64 and Amiga..

So, to help fill me in on whats the cream of the crop for the C64.. post your favourites lists here, or a URL to any big name ones :)

(yes, I know, theres the Speccy and Amstrads and Acorns too.. and of course the X68000 and other Japanese only machines. But we didn't have them here so I'm concentrating on the machines I can actually still pick up easily ;)

jeff

Edit a week later; I've written up a summary in my blog: http://www.codejedi.com/cgi-bin/blog.cgi/e....blog?seemore=y

C64 Games:
Mayhem in Monsterland
Creatures 1&2
Hagar the Horrible
All the Dizzy Games
Turrican 1 & 2
Mission Impossible
Great Giana Sisters
Nebulus
Allycat
Draconus
Bubble Bobble & Rainbow Islands
Operation Wolf
Rampage and ramparts
Powerdrift
Bomb Jack
Wonderboy in monsterland
There were many great text adventure games that i cant remember...

The C64 was the ultimate machine for me, great community, easily programmable and games with great gameplay. I see this reflected in the gp32 today, and thats why i like it.

I was a big C64 nerd, I used to have a 1541 drive still hooked upto my pc whilst I backed up all the games :)

For me the best was Impossible Mission

Others I enjoyed (in no order)...

Buggy Boy
Bruce Lee
Way of the Exploding Fist
Uridium
Turrican 3
H.e.r.o
Spindizzy
Iron Man <-- 4 player mayhem :D
Invade-a-load is the best invaders conversion I ever played ;)

crazy comets
mega apocalypse
armalyte
katakis
paradroid
uridium
gaplus
great giana sisters
turrican 1 + 2
dropzone
anything by jeff minter
anything by shaun southern
axis asassin
impossible mission 1+2
last ninja series
IK+

i could go on and on and on. imho its the best 8bit system for games.

look here for screenies + reviews of just about any c64 game http://www.lemon64.com

the same exists for the amiga too http://www.lemonamiga.com

Attack of the Mutant Camels and others by Jeff

Parallax - great theme tune and title page

Master of Magic - great explore and fight game with good music - Mastertronic 2.99 Range ;-)

Wizard of Wor

Bruce Lee

Way of the Exploding Fist

Beach Head

Bionic Granny - one of the 1st 1.99 games from Mastertronic - so bad

Arena - by Cult Games - you won't find this - it was a 2.99 game I bought for a friend similar to a Spectrum Game. Featured a 2x2 screen size playfield, 2-8 nameable player or computer controlled Wizards, Spell casting rounds and move rounds all turn based but great fun. I'll never forget the "Eyeshole" vs "Somanumbatch" showdown.

You won't find it because I have found it near impossible to copy - I tried all my cartridges and finally managed to save it from tape to disk but it only works on real hardware - emulators cannot run it :-(

If anyone wants the .D64 to have a go at the protection for an 8 bit challenge let me know.

Whats funny is how many of those are also on other platforms (like the ST) - Turrican, Great Giana Sisters, Nebulous, Powerdrift .. we used to diss Amiga's since half their games were ports of ST games. Both camps should've taken the pill, knowing their games were all ported from the C64 ;)

jeff

thing on a spring
kettle
hunters moon
jack the nipper
all monty mole series
driller, the music is soooo atomospheric

Commando
Jump Man
Henry's House
Pitstop II
Omega Race (runs too fast on frodo but there is a PD Port for the genesis)

The Vic-20 Omega Race was always better than the C64 one (or at least, I thought so back in the day). I'll have to fire them both up and see :)

jeff

M.U.L.E. (VERY great game!)
Alter Ego (still love it, though it doesn't work on GP32...)
Law of the West
To be on Top
Racing Destruction Set (very good if played with 2 players and your own tracks)
Archon 1 + 2
Jumpman
H.E.R.O.
Labyrinth (basically the predecessor of Maniac Mansion)
Krakout
Murder on the Mississippi
Frankie goes to Hollywood
Metro-Cross
Nexux

SPACE TAXI! I used to love this game. Hopefully this will work properly on the GP2X... the GP32 Frodo port had some sprite collision bugs which unfortunately made it unplayable.

Impossible Mission is still one of the best games ever made IMHO... randomized gameplay means endless replayability. I still play this on my GP32 often

Gianna Sisters of course, Jumpman & Jumpman Jr, Might & Magic I & II, BC's Quest for Tires...

There's one called "Overlord" which is kind've like an early version of Master of Orion... I think there's a NES version of this too.

I also remember an ancient wireframe flightsim... Echelon I think.

kickstart 1+2, great motorbike scrambbling games even had its own course editor, fantasic 2 play action

This is going to sound retarded, but there was a game (possibly a hack) that my friend showed me in about 1989 called "Smurf butcher Bob" and it ran on either the commodore or the apple IIe. It was a single -screen interface and involved jumping over creatures to coccoon them, and if you weren't fast enough a giant dinosaur foot would come down and stomp you.

That game kicked ass, and I'm sure someone changed the title and details (when the foot hit you, the text read "Oh shit!!") but surely the game exists for real somewhere out there.....

vic20-ian posted on Sep 27 2005 at 04:52 PM said:
You won't find it because I have found it near impossible to copy - I tried all my cartridges and finally managed to save it from tape to disk but it only works on real hardware - emulators cannot run it :-(

If anyone wants the .D64 to have a go at the protection for an 8 bit challenge let me know.

Probably because of the copy protection. That messes up emus. Have you tried to use Isepic to crack and dump it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back