GP2X Can Someone Please Explain Subversion (svn) To Me?

scientist

Still Fresh
This is semi gp2x related, since it's for development in general - and since this appears to be the most active forum regarding development in general, I figured a few of you are familiar with subversion and other version control software, so please help! (mods, if there is a better place for this please move it).

First, a quick intro. I've been coding for over a decade now, professionally for 8. I started with qbasic, then vbasic, then c, c++, finally found my home with html/php/css/flash. That's probably my favorite combo when it comes to programming, in fact, I haven't used c for so long, I am no longer familiar with it - and don't care to be!

Now the explanation: I have been involved in many large scale projects lately, working with 3-5 people on projects, and version control is getting out of hand. I have looked into subversion a few times over the years - it seems to be exactly what I need, yet not even close. To be specific - it has all the features I need: file locking+merging, history archive, tracking the actual changes by line# and etc., keeping a repository automatically making copies to edit, and so on)

The problem is, everytime I install some SVN client, I am overwhelmed with all the folders and additional files it makes. I only want to track the files related to the project, not all these additional folders and etc.

Is there a simplified client made more for html/actionscript/text files as opposed to c++, binaries, etc? I assume that any text file (.as, .html, .css, etc.) can be tracked line by line, and I don't care much about parsing the .fla, .swf, .jpg, etc. files as long as it can tell if a file has changed, etc.

Any suggestions? I have read many many many tutorials on SVN, including ones dedicated to maintaining flash projects, but none have cleared it up for me. I like to think of myself as capable of learning new things, but this just has my mind in knots. Thanks!

SVN faq:
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html

I prefer darcs, but a lot of people have switched to SVN do it it being not too far different from, and better than, CVS and RCS..

But really, don't just ask a question here because theres some smart folks here; ie: you could just as easily have asked about thw win32 API with the same justification.

You could post in.. say.. the SVN forums or other better places :)

http://www.svnforum.org/

jeff

I use SVN tortoise for flash projects at home and it works well, but i do it just for myself with no more people than me.

So, it is good for backups at least.

It creates 1 folder inside the folder u work in and then I think you to assign ur folder to a repository that is somewhere else. Away from your protected folders.

Ahh i set up that a few months ago and i cant remember now.

i only ever use the command line version of svn, im not sure about all the 'files and folders' it makes. the .svn is invisible, i mean there is no reason AT ALL you should go near the .svn directory.

ive switched to bzr but still do a lot of svn stuff for other things

im not sure about a simplified client, it doesnt quite make sense.

i believe i found what I was looking for - instead of using subversion, I'll use CVS, which is a much simpler solution, which doesn't have all the features, but still has everything I need.

Once I figure it out, I'll be sure to write a very clear and thorough tutorial / article on the process, since I couldnt find any.

decided SVN is a much better choice, and I have already got it running locally on my computer, along with the tortoiseSVN client, which is just great - exactly what I've been looking for, although some kind of integrated IDE would be nice, other than Eclipse.

I'm just stuck figuring out how to setup a repository on my website. My host advertised SVN and CVS as premium features for a certain package, yet they offer no support whatsoever, claiming since SVN is 3rd party (so what's PHP to them?), therefore "beyond the scope" of support.

Back