Can Someone Please Explain To Me...

magicman5421

TASTY SNACKS
Website
Visit site
What's confusing me a lot right now is:
How is pandora different from a regular computer?
We know:
  • Running a (full?) linux distro
  • Keyboard
  • Touchscreen (could be used as mouse)
From what we know, isn't pandora just a powerful little computer, kind of like the eeepc?
I mean, I still love it to death, but i'm a little confused.

magicman5421 said:
What's confusing me a lot right now is:
How is pandora different from a regular computer?
We know:
  • Running a (full?) linux distro
  • Keyboard
  • Touchscreen (could be used as mouse)
From what we know, isn't pandora just a powerful little computer, kind of like the eeepc?
I mean, I still love it to death, but i'm a little confused.
What do you mean by "a powerful little computer"? If you think it'll be able to handle any task your intel PII can, I'd propose you're wrong. There are 2 main obstacles: you will need to port an app of interest, you will need to hildonize an app, so that it would work nicely on a small screen of low resolution. So if you're not a programmer, you'll have to stick with what has already been ported/hildonized.
BUT. If debian arm packages will work on pandora, if the “fullness” of the linux distro will suffice (it'll have all the libraries needed, + a port of a good window manager +...)... If you ask me the hardware specs are fine, but isn't it software that makes it work? I think we can only judge about the result only after the release date. Once more - the specs are just fine - that is what makes me stay here and hope that in the end pandora will rule.
Ok, do you think that "a powerful little computer" should have skype running inside? I think the answer is yes. But will we see skype running on pandora. Well the forecast is bad in this case IMHO. A SIP program is possible, but i doubt skype will work. (we can sell our souls to nokia, so that they will allow us to run maemo - this is how we can get skype working :).
But as a full power multimedia (+PDA functions, + remote administration tool, + whatever!) companion pandora will rule.. or is going to rule.
By the way, if you're looking for a small computer I'd suggest you to have a closer look on menlow based MIDs and UMPCs. They will appear this year, will be more energy efficient than previous UMPCs (but not as efficient as pandora will hopefuly be).

Last edited by a moderator:
Most obvious ergonomically are the gaming controls. The console has analogue sticks and console-style buttons to make games much easier to play. It is also much smaller than most UMPCs out on the market, particularly the EEE. The battery life in theory destroys anything any UMPC out on the market can come close to, and is supposedly far better than the GP2x.

From a developer's point of view, the main difference is the architecture. A laptop or PC uses an x86 chip such as the ones made by AMD and Intel, which while being very compatible with existing chips and being reasonably fast, are very power hungry. The pandora uses an ARM cortex chip, so has a different assembler language and the way it does things is a little bit different.

You are thinking of an Eee PC or UMPC.

The differences are:

Pandora has gaming controls, fits in your pocket, and it comes with a great community backing it. :D

_VWV_ said:
you will need to hildonize an app, so that it would work nicely on a small screen of low resolution.

erm...hildonizing means that you adapt an application to the hildon UI used on the nokia internet tablets. it has nothing directly to do with making it work on a small touchscreen. nothing.

The first gameboy was also a computer, it had CPU, RAM, Sound card, whatever, just like any of these devices...
The Pandora is his time ahead in terms of handheld-console specs... but does that and a keyboard mean it is a small PC?
You're right if you say it's a PDA with gaming controls and nice specs.
You're also right if you say it's a handheld console with PDA features.

I don't really care what it is, it's just awesome :p

kanzlr said:
erm...hildonizing means that you adapt an application to the hildon UI used on the nokia internet tablets. it has nothing directly to do with making it work on a small touchscreen. nothing.
yes, it's true, sorry for bad term (just don't know the right one), but any way the idea was that sometimes you have to adopt an app to a new environment (smaller screen, lower resolution), right? Some times you need to press ok button which isn't there cause the window doesn't fit the screen. Then it's a kind of a restriction one should have in mind.

I've just seen a video of Beryl running on the Eee PC, and am starting think running applications on the small screen really won't be too much of a problem.

monkeyo2 said:
I've just seen a video of Beryl running on the Eee PC, and am starting think running applications on the small screen really won't be too much of a problem.

The eeePC screen is significantly larger than the pandora. Same resolution though...

Number 1, the EEE pc is in no way comparable to any kind of gaming device, it's just a shitty laptop with a very slow CPU, little RAM, no hard drive (a USB flash drive, slow as hell and tiny, soldered to the motherboard), no panel through which to upgrade the RAM so it's probably soldered on there. It's barely usable as a PC and its lack of gaming controls makes it a miserable choice for even emulators because you'll need to lug around a gamepad with it that may as well make it a full size laptop in your bag anyway.

Number 2, despite the resolution of the screen it will be FREAKING TINY and you're not going to be surfing the web in one window while playing a video in another and dictating text into AbiWord in another because each window will be the size of a postage stamp. It will barely even be comfortable to try and read text off the display and web browsing will have to be very minimal, you'll be scrolling everywhere because there is so little screen real estate... the only advantage a desktop environment really offers like X11 is that you can run a wide range of apps and easily switch between them like a media player OR and emulator or whatever. Not that it's going to be a desktop computer with a huge ass dispaly that you can take advantage of the same way. It is STILL a handheld device about the size of a DS, NOT A DESKTOP OR EVEN A LAPTOP PC. It is so frustrating to keep seein this shortsighted comparison being drawn again and AGAIN.

And for everyone who looks at '1 GHz' as a possible CPU speed and thinks of a 1 GHz PC CPU, GHz is an operating frequency and not a measure of performance. It'd be more comparable to a CPU a little more powerful than that in the Dreamcast which by rough comparison would stack up to the year 2000's best consumer-available processor; you're not going to be playing call of duty on this thing while running folding@home and playing XViD movies all at the same time. Good lord.

Stealth Bagel said:
Number 1, the EEE pc is in no way comparable to any kind of gaming device, it's just a shitty laptop with a very slow CPU, little RAM, no hard drive (a USB flash drive, slow as hell and tiny, soldered to the motherboard), no panel through which to upgrade the RAM so it's probably soldered on there. It's barely usable as a PC and its lack of gaming controls makes it a miserable choice for even emulators because you'll need to lug around a gamepad with it that may as well make it a full size laptop in your bag anyway.

Number 2, despite the resolution of the screen it will be FREAKING TINY and you're not going to be surfing the web in one window while playing a video in another and dictating text into AbiWord in another because each window will be the size of a postage stamp. It will barely even be comfortable to try and read text off the display and web browsing will have to be very minimal, you'll be scrolling everywhere because there is so little screen real estate... the only advantage a desktop environment really offers like X11 is that you can run a wide range of apps and easily switch between them like a media player OR and emulator or whatever. Not that it's going to be a desktop computer with a huge ass dispaly that you can take advantage of the same way. It is STILL a handheld device about the size of a DS, NOT A DESKTOP OR EVEN A LAPTOP PC. It is so frustrating to keep seein this shortsighted comparison being drawn again and AGAIN.

And for everyone who looks at '1 GHz' as a possible CPU speed and thinks of a 1 GHz PC CPU, GHz is an operating frequency and not a measure of performance. It'd be more comparable to a CPU a little more powerful than that in the Dreamcast which by rough comparison would stack up to the year 2000's best consumer-available processor; you're not going to be playing call of duty on this thing while running folding@home and playing XViD movies all at the same time. Good lord.
Wrong.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcmqntpFO8s

pandora said:
Stealth Bagel said:
no panel through which to upgrade the RAM so it's probably soldered on there.

OK, the ram is upgradable. The rest of his post still stands though.

The eeePC is still not particularly useful as a gaming platform. We're hoping that the Pandora will be.

Stealth Bagel said:
It will barely even be comfortable to try and read text off the display and web browsing will have to be very minimal, you'll be scrolling everywhere because there is so little screen real estate...
As an N800 owner, I'd have to say 4.3 inch 800x480 browsing is a lot more usable than you seem to imagine. It's not going replace my desktop, but the majority of website I frequent are perfectly usable, even for extended periods. Even around the house you can surf in situations you normally wouldn't (like on the toilet, or when you're "watching" reality television), and a pocketable device is obviously preferable to carrying around a laptop when venturing outside if using webmail, checking threads, reading the news, uploading photos or social networking are all you need to do. In fact, I'd say the only things missing from the N800 are gaming controls, and enough power to play videos without re-encoding them.

I realise that running Beryl on the Pandora may be pushing things a bit too far (although Compiz does appear to be available on ARM), but it doesn't seem too much of a leap of imagination to think some of the things in in the video of it running on "a shitty laptop with a very slow CPU", like the zooming, and flicking between screens without having to have a task bar, could make even better use of the Pandora's screen. From what I could find (1, 2), the Pandora appears have a better spec. than the iPhone, and that seems to be able to run a fairly slick interface.

pandora said:
Stealth Bagel said:

Stealth Bagel is speaking from an owners point of view though, Isn`t he ?. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Back