Can We Have An Explation For This Op?

Hmm, I just checked a few cases here and it's definately only on few units.
That picture is one of the worst cases I've seen, to be honest.

Might be that some of the copper tape we need for CE compliance is doing that - but we can certainly prevent that in assembly by simply making sure the tape is not crushed but properly in there.

I just checked on the few units we have here, it was only visible on one unit and pressing it together a bit fixed it.

But we'll make sure we check for that thing before we ship it. Definately no problem in the case design, though :)
And it won't render your Pandora unusable.

are they all like this?
if mine is like this i'll need to know a safe way to fix it permanently cos imo it's unacceptable at present.

@emcp
Without having one in my hands personally, I can't say what causes this. One possibility is that the hinge sides of the lower case part are too narrow and put a force on the lid, dunno. When I have one in my own hands I'll find a solution. Not being able to open the lid at all would be more annoying. Maybe I want to try different antenna designs. Maybe I want to do a tablet conversion.

edit:
Encouraging info ED, thanks :)

Not to shun OP, but you'd think if they'd have checked the units thoroughly before shipping such units wouldn't be appearing on YouTube, etc.

Even as bad as it looks in that image, you have to realize that the image is zoomed in quite a bit. That's less than a millimetre, in all probability.

Mantis said:
Not to shun OP, but you'd think if they'd have checked the units thoroughly before shipping such units wouldn't be appearing on YouTube, etc.

Well, that's what we're doing since a few days - it just adds a lot of time and at the beginning, everyone here was thinking it would be okay and tried to ship as fast as possible.

We changed that after the first 20 units or so. We now have a proper testing. It adds 4 minutes per Pandora, but that's definately worth it.

Last edited:
This is a very small cosmetic issue at best, let's not blow this into a huge quality control issue. Plastic can expand and contract with higher temps, and low temps. Sometimes a warp or imperfection isn't noticed until it happens. Not a huge deal, I've had it happen on a lot more expensive and higher quality devices then the Pandora.

I'm all for pointing out problems, if they are actually an issue on hundreds of units, but let's not blow this rinky dink shit into WWIII.

Chris

This happened on my macbook pro , where the metal actually bent and cant be put back for love or money ...

So it's not a slight to the team if this happens, when even apple has this happen to some of their devices.

Mantis said:
I that so important for you? I have a Zaurus PDA (made in japan, superb quality), but it's so damn obsolete now, I'd be glad to make it ugly like a $15 crappy Chinese device, but fast as a Pandora. I buy things to use them and not to admire them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vitel said:
Mantis said:
I that so important for you? I have a Zaurus PDA (made in japan, superb quality), but it's so damn obsolete now, I'd be glad to make it ugly like a $15 crappy Chinese device, but fast as a Pandora. I buy things to use them and not to admire them.

Not really. I do think the consumers have the right to bring the problem up though. The Pandora was ultimately created as a community effort, and I think that's great. But now it's a product, and people want answers for these things. At the end of the day, a cosmetic flaw won't kill the device's functionality. But it would be better if the problem didn't exist, which is why I think it's a good thing that people are making it clear it's a problem. It would not stop me from buying a Pandora. Only issues that greatly affect the functionality would make me think twice.

jumpman said:
This is a very small cosmetic issue at best, let's not blow this into a huge quality control issue. Plastic can expand and contract with higher temps, and low temps. Sometimes a warp or imperfection isn't noticed until it happens. Not a huge deal, I've had it happen on a lot more expensive and higher quality devices then the Pandora.

I'm all for pointing out problems, if they are actually an issue on hundreds of units, but let's not blow this rinky dink shit into WWIII.

Chris

yes, its a very minor issue.

my Toshiba satellite laptop had broken hinges after 1 year, got it fixed under warranty, then they broke again after another year.
and its not from excessive use, that thing was a stay-at-home laptop.
not counting it had dead pixels out of the box, got it replaced, then the network card failed after 6 months, got it replaced and the replacement laptop's HD went bad the next day, then the network card failed again after another year.

2nd time the hinge broke I just filled the weak hinge's cavity with epoxy (after checking it wouldn't prevent the hinge from working) and stuck the broken parts back on again, that finally held up, and replaced the network card with a USB ethernet adapter.

my HP G60 laptop has a wobbly/warped keyboard around the edges that's worst than that picture and gaps around the LCD that are almost just as bad, plus it overheats if I transcode DVDs on it, or play 3D games for over 20 minutes or try to get any work done when its over 28 degrees celcius.

those two laptops were over twice as expensive as the Pandora and made by BIG COMPANIES yet have so many problems, including the plastic casing.

so the OP team having some very minor issues isn't alarming, wake me up when they start exploding like Dell's.

@Stephane Hockenhull, sounds like you have terrible luck with consumer electronics. My laptop speakers have shoddy connections, but AFAIK that's the only hardware problem.

Got a HP laptop that had a faulty motherboard (the power/charging management circuitry was faulty or something).
Had got it fixed 6 times by HP over a year, it worked 6 month after the last return.
Then it never powered on… at all.

I hate that laptop!

(it's the main reason why I got a macbook)

My Pandora has that same issue. Almost exactly like the picture.
Doesn't bother me at all, though I do worry that long term it might collect dust.

All in all, I'm impressed with the hardware quality of my Pandora, but I want to stress that If it was being made a million at a time by Sony or Apple I would be irritated to get this level of quality. It's all about expectations. We signed on for a unique device made by a very small group of enthusiasts aiming for a very inexpensive price point. While I'm still rather irritated a the complete failure of all the time estimates, I've got no complaints at all about the device I've actually got. I'm thrilled with it. It's just what I feel I was promised, and it's every bit as fun to use as I had hoped.

EvilDragon said:
Well, that's what we're doing since a few days - it just adds a lot of time and at the beginning, everyone here was thinking it would be okay and tried to ship as fast as possible.

We changed that after the first 20 units or so. We now have a proper testing. It adds 4 minutes per Pandora, but that's definately worth it.

*Salutes you* That is the right approach.

Yeah this isn't a huge issue. The only concern it would offer me is the possibility that in the process of applying the invisible shield protector, which requires some moisture, it would be more possible that moisture could seep into the case.

But if mine were to come like that, no worse than photographed, I wouldn't sweat it.

Btw OPT, I hope you aren't working 7 days a week. Take a break day or two. The next 3000 cases aren't going to arrive immediately, no reason to kill yourselves.

Back