Can You See Yourself Using Thr Pandora For A Long Time?

mazza558

Given that the Pandora is being made with some pretty high-quality parts by a smaller, less greedy company, and has a replaceable battery, I can imagine myself using it for a long time - longer than an equivalent device made by a bigger company. Maybe for 5 years or more. I'm basing this on the assumption that in 5 years, Wireless G will still be considered fast and SDHC cards will still be in widespread use. Either way, I'm sure it's going to be a sturdy little thing.

If it's rugged enough, then yes. I see myself using it for quite some time.

It's gotta be able to survive life in my pocket, though. I won't be gentle.

Oh yea, the hardware is hardly a limitation. The DS which came out 4 years ago yesterday was underpowered then, and it is still going strong today because of all the fun stuff even non-flashcart people can do with it.

I will be using my Pandora for a very long time.

If Pandora turns out to be as good as expected, I will use it until Pandora 2 comes out, which I will use until Pandora 3 comes out and so forth :)

I don't quite understand this topic, I still play my NES from time to time, thats about 20 years old, my Game gear still works, my neo geo pocket must be about 10 years old, that still works.
Do consoles ever really die?

Ill probably use it constantly as an organizer and use its other functions in my free time. Nothing on the market is all that similar then this and I will be use it at least until something else does.

Whats with posting a new topic like every other day?

I think personally i would us it for a long time, as most of the games i like are pre N64 and most will definitely be emulated. I watch videos sometimes on my gp2x but the screen not the best and can always guarantee the batteries to die before the end.

greendots said:
Keeping things interesting and conversation flowing whilst we wait for more news.

Last edited by a moderator:
mazza558 said:
greendots said:
Keeping things interesting and conversation flowing whilst we wait for more news.

You do a good job :)

mazza558 said:
greendots said:
Then try harder on Monday... ;)

The lack of umts/hsdpa and also the limited tv output makes it a bit limited, I would have gladly paid 100 more euro for that stuff to have the ultimate portable device. As it is it's still an awesome machine but if another similar device with better connectivity comes along I may think about it.
In any case, I think it's reasonable to release a Pandora 3G, Iphone style, with the full package, then I will stay with Pandora for a long long time.

oblivioner said:
The lack of umts/hsdpa and also the limited tv output makes it a bit limited, I would have gladly paid 100 more euro for that stuff to have the ultimate portable device. As it is it's still an awesome machine but if another similar device with better connectivity comes along I may think about it.
In any case, I think it's reasonable to release a Pandora 3G, Iphone style, with the full package, then I will stay with Pandora for a long long time.
I think we should focus on external accessories, the reception is often better(thinking about the crappy GPS in the N810) and you can upgrade easily.

Edit:
Certified Pandora accessories would be a cool addition IMO

Face the fact that UMTS is by far too expensive right now and that it can be done via usb devices etc.
But I m also still crying about the TV Output because the team always said that a second digital port is not possible. However: There could have been a switch to move the display from the LCD to the TV Output, this solution would have been much better than the analog output. This is the real bottleneck of the device I think. It could have moved this device to higher levels, for use as a desktop PC and it would have made sharing presentations alot easier.
Lets hope this is somehow moddable.

A USB to bluetooth adaptor would be great, if that would be possible technically. You buy the adaptor, plug in your USB modem, put it in your backpack and let it communicate wirelessly with the Pandora.

mali said:
mazza558 said:
greendots said:

You do a good job :)

Thanks - I just get sick of the bank problems/refunds/random complaint threads - the actual device is much more interesting to discuss.

maxSteiner said:
I don't quite understand this topic, I still play my NES from time to time, thats about 20 years old, my Game gear still works, my neo geo pocket must be about 10 years old, that still works.
Do consoles ever really die?
Some do. Specifically, anything with an optical drive, hard drive, or fan. These parts eventually do wear out, but the Pandora has none of these to break. :) Granted, everything wears out some day, but it took over 15 years for the cartridge contacts on my childhood NES to corrode to the point it was unusable. :( Compare that to my original Xbox, which in just 3 years had trouble loading most games and wouldn't load some at all. :angry: Analog sticks can also be a problem, but that can vary due to play style. While the sticks on my N64 controllers still work great, I blame circle strafing in MechAssault for killing the left stick of my original "Duke" Xbox controller.

mechanizeddeath said:
Granted, everything wears out some day, but it took over 15 years for the cartridge contacts on my childhood NES to corrode to the point it was unusable. :(
That's a common problem, but luckily, it's easily fixable.
Get one of these, there are instructions on how to replace it online, and even a video.

I still (and often) use my GBA SP. I can only imagine that I'll use the pandora even more fequently as it's far more fully featured and useful.

Back