Cannoo Is Taking The World By Storm!

If you received your CAANOOO, mark where do you live?

• North America

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • South America

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Australia

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Asia

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Europe

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters

I got one here in Norway this week. A white one, I can live with the LED bleed and think it's very well built.

I hope we can get some console emulators one day, as I am sure the screen & controls will work well for MD/SFC/NES/GBA but sadly I only have the Wiz mame port, and the games I like are really jerky on that.

If you are not into the offical FunGP games, then I see little point in getting a unit currently. This situation will change when games become available. I find it curious that the producer didn't think of Wiz backwards compatability, but I imagine they had their reasons. (Like hoping the Dev community would do their work for free!)

CapcomSuicide said:
I got one here in Norway this week. A white one, I can live with the LED bleed and think it's very well built.

I hope we can get some console emulators one day, as I am sure the screen & controls will work well for MD/SFC/NES/GBA but sadly I only have the Wiz mame port, and the games I like are really jerky on that.

If you are not into the offical FunGP games, then I see little point in getting a unit currently. This situation will change when games become available. I find it curious that the producer didn't think of Wiz backwards compatability, but I imagine they had their reasons. (Like hoping the Dev community would do their work for free!)

There is also the NeoCD emu that runs decently, a Spectrum emulator, ScummVM & a few homebrew titles, the rest is coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amon_Re said:
CapcomSuicide said:

There is also the NeoCD emu that runs decently, a Spectrum emulator, ScummVM & a few homebrew titles, the rest is coming.

ScummVM is hardly usable, Dott, Sam&Max, Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island 2 don't run, the only game i was able to use was Monkey Island 1 :(
I hope it will be fixed soon

glezmen said:
Amon_Re said:
CapcomSuicide said:

ScummVM is hardly usable, Dott, Sam&Max, Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island 2 don't run, the only game i was able to use was Monkey Island 1 :(

Loom and Discworld both work.

glezmen said:
Amon_Re said:
CapcomSuicide said:

I have only tried it briefly this afternoon, Lure of the Temptress doesn't work neighter, Flight of the Amazon Queen however does.

i love how so many devs received the caanoo, and yet it seems as if they did no programing on it. and they complained about the facebook contests...

aesir911 said:
i love how so many devs received the caanoo, and yet it seems as if they did no programing on it. and they complained about the facebook contests...

What the hell are you talking about?

aesir911 said:

How do you know they haven't done any programming on it? It's early days, a bit of patience wouldn't go amiss :)

In fact, you could argue that that's why any available pre-release/competition models (for example, your own Caanoo) should have gone to devs so that they can do "programing on it". I'm above such arguments, naturally :p

aesir911 said:

You really are sounding like an impatient idiot. If you're disappointed by the lack of games, why not learn to code while you wait?

aesir911 said:
:angry:
I think I'm going to refrain from saying exactly what I think about that comment.
Of course I'm sure you'll be contributing, and not just whining like it's your right to have free software - and to a deadline no less.

u9i said:
As i understood it, not so many units were sent to devs this time, were they? Ruckage when did you get a unit?

/Uni
Hi Uni. I received my Caanoo about a week ago but I think I was among the last to get one. I really don't know how many devs got a unit but I'm sure we'll start to see programs appearing soon. These things just take time and I think people like aesir911 (and a few others) forget that the Devs do it all for free and in their spare time. Luckily my games are quite easy to port over so they should be released quite quickly.

ruckage said:
Hi Uni. I received my Caanoo about a week ago but I think I was among the last to get one. I really don't know how many devs got a unit but I'm sure we'll start to see programs appearing soon. These things just take time and I think people like aesir911 (and a few others) forget that the Devs do it all for free and in their spare time. Luckily my games are quite easy to port over so they should be released quite quickly.

I'm surprised you of all people didn't get one sooner actually, what with THREE of your games being built-in on the Wiz!

aesir911 said:

ahaha, it seems you have no idea about how much work programming actually is. it's just not a matter of clicking the make it run on caanoo button to get everything working from the wiz on it. did you ever try porting/programming by yourself? if not, go out and try before you complain.

i think we can count caanoo's that have been handed out to developers on one hand (or maybe two hands?) - andymanone, clare, ruckage, pickle, splintergu are the ones i can remember.
andymanone is more the hardware guy, haven't seen any software from him around. splintergu ported bennu but that doesn't mean everything previously working with bennu works immediately on the caanoo, from what i understand it needs to be at least made compatible (control-wise) and recompiled? clare huh, dont know, she was making some games and has some secret coming up? pickle is a porting machine, but also porting takes time and he might be busy with other stuff? and ruckage received his a few days ago and already released snake-on-dope?

what are u expecting? go and donate some money that other devs can buy a caanoo and make software appear more faster! (uni bought his caanoo on his own, for example)

crow_riot said:
clare huh, dont know, she was making some games and has some secret coming up?

I wrote Myriad which was supplied with the Wiz, I will be porting this and updating it at some point. Also I still want to write a version of Berzerk, a bit like my PC version but much more interesting.

Oh I have started to cobble up a Virtual Merlin (Retro handheld game device), I almost forgot about that, I have a lot of it up and running already!

Clare.

Clare said:
crow_riot said:
clare huh, dont know, she was making some games and has some secret coming up?

I wrote Myriad which was supplied with the Wiz, I will be porting this and updating it at some point.

thanks for clearing that up, i just couldn't remember all the built-in games on the wiz :)

Also I still want to write a version of Berzerk, a bit like my PC version but much more interesting.

where to find the PC version? (sorry, i'm not that long here to know everything :))

ruckage said:
aesir911 said:
:angry:
I think I'm going to refrain from saying exactly what I think about that comment.
Of course I'm sure you'll be contributing, and not just whining like it's your right to have free software - and to a deadline no less.

no, i'm not whining about how there isn't too much stuff out there. it's just amusing that nova was complaining so much about how more developers should have gotten more caanoos where i'm sure quite a few of the "developers" aren't doing any work on them.

Back