Can't Power My Gp2x With Batteries, What Now?

johnz1

Still Fresh
Here's the story: The joystick on my 2X was "dislocated" and I spent 10 minutes trying to fix it by turning and swirling the stick. At that point I got pissed off. I decided to open up the GP2X and see exactly why this was happening. I unscrewed the back, took it off, and saw that the main board was lodged into the front casing. I didnt want to use force to get to the front of the unit, so I decided to go down the cautious road and put it back together and keep swirling the joystick. After 5 minutes, everything was fine and the joystick worked.

Wrong - something happenned when I opened up the 2X. Now, I cant use batteries to power the unit. I've tried rechargeable and alkaline. Nothing makes it work.

What should I do now? Did I kill the battery compartment, or is there a simple fix?

It would be devastating if I cant get this to work again. A portable system that cant run off batteries, now that would be terrible. All help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU

Fishbong posted on Feb 11 2007 at 06:06 PM said:
Please specify. What happens if yu turn your gp2x on with batteries in it.

When I hit the power switch, nothing comes on the screen and the green power light doesn't light up. Nothing at all happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try some better batteries, Rechargable NiMH batteries, Upwards of 2500mah would be best.

Standard alkaline batteries are crap when used with the GP2x.

Trooper

I have tried Sanyo 2700mah rechargeables. They didnt work, even when fully charged. And these are the same batteries that I have been using with this system for 5 months!

These batteries are very fat. It could be, since you relocated the mainboard, that the contacts dont reach eachother anymore. This happened to me too.

Draco posted on Feb 11 2007 at 07:30 PM said:
These batteries are very fat. It could be, since you relocated the mainboard, that the contacts dont reach eachother anymore. This happened to me too.

I don't quite understand exactly what you mean. Could you just explain this a little more?

Thank you

Have you tried to use an external power adaptor? It's possible that the switch that sense if an external power adaptor is plugged in, is stucked, and that prevent battery to power the gp2x.

I also suggest to open again the gp2x, and check:

1) when battery are in, you can sense voltage on gp2x?
2) the power switch is working fine?
3) look for eventually broken or disconnected wire.

Good luck.

Blah posted on Feb 11 2007 at 09:58 PM said:
He's telling you to bend back the battery terminals, I think.

yes try that, i had a similar experience when i dropped my 2x and had to taek it apart, and do try using an external power adaptor (as diegor said) and see what happens....

OK, GP2X works fine now.

When I opened it up I didnt see anything damaged or out of place. I messed with the contacts and put the case back on. When I put the batteries in, I made sure that the contacts were touching those of the 2X. Now it works. The problem must have been that the GP2X contacts were receded and weren't touching the batteries.

Thank you to everyone that helped. Now my 2X is at 100% again

Back