What Bits To Order For My First Gp2x :)

yanman

Still Fresh
I've decided I want one of these badly so now I have to work out what bits to get and where from. I'm in Australia so am I better getting things like SD cards, power packs, batteries etc here and just ordering the base unit from UK?

I figured I want at least the power pack and tv adapter. What do you guys recommend? Are most SD cards fine? I'll want to go with ones that are fast so I might check a few reviews sites.

Things required for the GP2X:

AA NIMH batteries, recommended rating of 2500+ mAh, and a charger, I believe you can get those at your local store under the brand Energizer, and I would buy 4+ (it uses 2 AA batteries). Also don't get a fast charger, get one that charges in 5+ hours because the fast ones do not charge fully.

SD cards, I don't know anything about Austrailia prices/stores, but almost every SD card works, unless you are upgrading, which is hit or miss. It is usually cheaper to buy SD cards online, but again I do not know AU stores. Also speed is not extremely important no matter what you do with your GP2X, unless you are impatient copying files to the SD card.

A card reader is HIGHLY recommended, if you want the cheapest one, get this, it is $4.08 AU shipped!

Make sure you also get a replacement cap, it makes things much better

Things you might want:

TV-Out ADAPTER, connects to your GP2X and outputs S-Video and 2 RCA. Get converters/extension cords if you are planning to get it.

Power supply, if you do not buy an official one, buy one that is 3.0V REGULATED at 1 AMP (1000 mAMPs)

Cheers Shikaku :)

Hmm so i'll definately get the base unit from gp2x.co.uk.. i read something somewhere about getting a free replacement cap with new orders

TV cable i'll most likely get from gp2x.co.uk. Is the GP2X end a standard connector? ie if standard maybe I can just buy locally too

PSU i'm not sure of.. if I buy it from gp2x.co.uk the plug might be incompatible with Aus (if 3 pin, not sure about 2).. unless gp2x.co.uk have Aus ones too.. I'll email them

Batteries and charger I'll get locally since charger is bound to be UK plug, also they're pretty cheap locally. I was going to go with some unknown brand 2800mAh AA's from ebay but then saw some posts about an apparent flood of Chinese AA's that had fake labels and were over-rated. I might just get 4 2400mAH energizers and a separate charger.

PSU locally is proving hard to find. So far all I can find is one listed on http://www1.tpgi.com.au/users/p8king/sps8041.htm that has various plugs, multiple voltages but regulated 1A current. It's important to get regulated one right?

found a 4GB 150x SD card on ebay for $110 =)

happy days are near!!!!

Shikaku posted on May 14 2006 at 07:39 AM said:
...Also speed is not extremely important no matter what you do with your GP2X, unless you are impatient copying files to the SD card...

Is this a fact ? I don't know for you but I get less (almost none) annoying emu/games pauses with my new 133X than with my 60X.

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe went to that ledshoppe site that Shikaku suggested with the $4 card reader. I ended up getting the USD$6.95 one that supported more formats.. then another for my g/f... then a bluetooth dongle (was cheap and i need one), then a LED headlight for camping trips.. and a dynamo LED light cos it's cool :)

I'm in much the same position. Living in Sydney, wanted a GP2x.

Bought an SD card, batteries/charger and card reader on EBay. Ordered my unit + power supply from Play Asia.

I originally ordered from Lik-Sang when they were offloading their MK1s for cheap, but they ran out of stock after messing around verifying my identity and told me I'd need to pay them an extra $30USD or so for the new model, "when it arrives".. I retracted my order and went with Play Asia who are a bit cheaper.

I got the exact same SD card, from that guy, it arrived yesterday, so I can vouch for a fast delivery, but I dont have any devices to test it out with, yet.

Back