Can't use D-pad in Fuse?

Mortenx

Still Fresh
I've tried all settings for joysticks in FUSE, but no matter what setting I try, the D-pad + B-button isn't working. The only way I can make anything move on screen, is by using 5-6-7-8 + 0. Not very handy. :(

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? :D

Shaolin

I've tried all settings for joysticks in FUSE, but no matter what setting I try, the D-pad + B-button isn't working. The only way I can make anything move on screen, is by using 5-6-7-8 + 0. Not very handy. :(

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? :D

Shaolin

The DPad emulates the Kempston joystick by default; if my memory of my Spectrum days is right the 56780 input was what you got from Sinclair joysticks. So you need to pick Kempston somewhere in the settings...

Yeah, the D-Pad isn't going to work for every game by default, there's no consistency in Spectrum games for the input method (at least for the first few years).

If Joystick is set to Kempston, and you choose Kempston input in that game's menu (if it's an option) it'll work.

If any game you are trying accepts keys 5,6,7,8 & 0 then that is 'Cursor' (aka Protek / AGF joystick) and if you change the joystick setting to Cursor the D-Pad will work. With that setting rather than Kempston, you can also use the D-pad to 'redefine keys' so it works - games like Chuckie Egg for example. Lots of games have 'Redefine keys' as an option, just select that and use the D-pad to enter the up/down/L/R/Fire prompts.

There'll still be a few games that don't offer ANY joystick input or key redefining though (Bugaboo - Aaargh) that's ye olde days for you. We'd need to be able to assign keyboard keys to the D-pad manually.

if my memory of my Spectrum days is right the 56780 input was what you got from Sinclair joysticks.

56780 is Cursor input, Sinclair Joysticks had player 1 as 12345 and player 2 as 67890

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back