Cave Story

billyk94

Still Fresh
Would someone be able to recompile the GP2X version of Cave Story to make it compatible with the Wiz? How difficult would it be?

Has anyone actually contacted pixel or is this all just speculation? I think the additional content in the WiiWare version would justify the price, and it's widely known that the original is free on pc, so I can't see how this could hurt the WiiWare game.

He doesn't speak English though, and it would probably be best if it sounded professional (like it wasn't run through google translator). I suppose I could give it a shot if no one else is willing, although I'd have no idea how to port it.

Another company is selling Cave Story on Wiiware. It's quite likely that they bought the rights to the game, because otherwise they'd risk having another company compete against them. Even if it's not on Wii itself, a new free version for another platform would be viewed as competitive. Pixel can't really do anything about previous versions he's released for free, but that doesn't mean that it's not to the detriment of everyone involved for him to allow new ports.

Well it never hurts to ask. I was thinking something along the lines of:
Greetings.
As you are probably aware, Cave Story has been ported to the GP2X hand-held console. Recently the GP2X has ended production, and we would like to know if you would allow us to port Cave Story to the Wiz, the successor to the GP2X, to be distributed freely. We are aware there is a commercial remake of your game being created for WiiWare, however we do not believe this Wiz port would have a negative impact on the sales as the port would not have the improved graphics, music, or added content of the commercial version, and would simply be an alternative to using a computer. We are all fans of Cave Story, and would likely purchase the WiiWare version anyway. We understand that you and Nicalis have to do what is best financially, but we would appreciate it if you would allow us to create this port. In our opinion, this would only promote Cave Story, and could raise even more awareness about the WiiWare game.
Nobody has volunteered to port it yet, although someone likely will soon. We would like to know nonetheless whether you would have any concerns.
Thank you for reading. We are all looking forward to any new way to experience Cave Story.
Sincerely,
The GP32X Community

I think it's fine, but I'm not sure you should be speaking on behalf of the community when this is only your initiative.

Well that's why I'm posting it here first. If anyone wants to add anything or disagrees with anything, I can change it. It would have more impact if it came from the community. I can't send it anyway, since I can't translate it.

And I don't think I'm the only one who would like it ported :)

EDIT: I've checked the Nicalis site, Wikipedia, Cavestory.org, and google and I don't see anything about anyone besides pixel owning the rights. The Nicalis FAQ suggests that they don't either.

Wouldn't it be possible to talk to the guy who made the GP2X port and get the source code from him? I doubt that would be too difficult. I don't own a Wiz yet, but if I find out a Cave Story port is on the way, it's an instant purchase for me.

Wouldn't it be possible to talk to the guy who made the GP2X port and get the source code from him?

Unfortunately no, the guy doesn't want to share his sources, this had already happened with the GP32 port, it was cancelled because the author doesn't want to give his sources.

But there is still a way to make a wiz port, if the author wants to commercialize his game, it can be done via funGP I think, but it won't be free I suppose :/

Is there a good reason for the GP2X-port author not sharing his source code? That doesn't seem logical. I would think that a GP2X to Wiz port wouldn't require a complete overhaul, making it less likely to be a failed project, it would become available to a slightly larger community, etc.

sparrow15 said:
Is there a good reason for the GP2X-port author not sharing his source code? That doesn't seem logical. I would think that a GP2X to Wiz port wouldn't require a complete overhaul, making it less likely to be a failed project, it would become available to a slightly larger community, etc.

He isn't allowed to. It's not open source. The people who have ported Cave Story received the source to do so, but not permission to redistribute said source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could he himself port it to the Wiz? Would he?
(Sorry that I'm being so persistent, I'd just rather have a Wiz than a GP2X, and one of the big requirements for me is this game...)

sparrow15 said:
Could he himself port it to the Wiz? Would he?
(Sorry that I'm being so persistent, I'd just rather have a Wiz than a GP2X, and one of the big requirements for me is this game...)

I feel the same way, but that would probably fall under the category of "redistributing."

We still need someone who speaks Japanese if we want to ask permission from Pixel. Translators don't work very well. Example: http://translationparty.com/#4149062

Last edited by a moderator:
Back