Cell Phone-related Question

Yeah, CDMA technologies do not use SIM Cards. The only carrier that did was Nextel, (Sprint is CDMA) but even then I believe Nextel was using GSM. That is all being phased out in favor of their new "PowerSource" hybrid phones.

I had said that I would post a little 'how-to' on using a cellphone as a modem, so here it is:

Software:
bluez-utils (if using bluetooth for dialup instead of usb)
ppp
wvdial (not entirely necessary, but it's a good tool)

After installing openSuSE 11 natively on my MacBook Air, dial-up is one of the first things that I needed to get going. I've been favoring USB over bluetooth lately because I get longer up-times (connected without issue for several hours), so after a bit of looking around, wvdial seems to be the best tool to do both. It's pretty straight-forward and you only need one config file to set up both profiles. For anyone who's wondering, there are ARM and ARMEL versions of wvdial for Debian, so I'm sure that there won't be any issues getting it to run on the pandora.

When you install wvdial, it creates a config file called /etc/wvdial.conf and a ppp peers script called /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial; both files need to be edited.

CODE
##/etc/ppp/peers/wvdial

plugin passwordfd.so
noauth
name wvdial
lcp-echo-failure 500000
lcp-echo-interval 600000

CODE
##/etc/wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Baud = 12000000
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Area Code =
Phone = ATDT#777
Username = <Your Number>@vzw3g.com
Password =
Ask Password = 0
Dial Command =
Stupid Mode = 1
Compuserve = 0
Force Address =
Idle Seconds = 0
DialMessage1 =
DialMessage2 =
ISDN = 0
Auto DNS = 1
Auto Reconnect = 1
Dial Attempts = 3

[Dialer bluetooth]
Modem = /dev/rfcomm0

The following two lines are verizon specific, and would need to be modified for other carriers:
CODE
Phone = ATDT#777
Username = <Your Number>@vzw3g.com

To create a "/dev/rfcomm0" (for a bluetooth connection), as root:

CODE
#!/bin/bash
mknod /dev/rfcomm0 c 216 0
rfcomm bind 0 <BT Addr> 8

Then you just need to run "wvdial" (for usb) or "wvdial bluetooth" (for bluetooth) as root.

Back