Cell Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
keaft said:
lol my sarcasm detector is borkon.

If you are being sarcastic:
keaft said:
This thread is educational. Most of you already know so therefore it isn't for you.
If you aren't being sarcastic:
I'm really not sure how Gmail does it. But it would definatly make sence to use the email gateways. That would just mean that you have an all-in-one, email/chat/sms/voice-chat/whatever else gmail does. I know that i will prefer gmail to text. Brb I gtg shrpn my txtng sklz.

No, honestly asking. I have never been able to send a text message to my phone via email, but I have tried on both nextel and AT&T. Maybe it's something you have to sign up for? I was wondering if GMail's actually would work, but I tried it and it doesn't seem to work.

Sorry to derail things, back to your thread already in progress...

Last edited by a moderator:
OrR said:
I think a Pandora variant with GSM module might be worth thinking about. Openmoko would probably be happy to help select a chip and provide software components. On the other hand, the Pandora's power management would probably need serious redesign and other things (audio?) might not work as they are. You could probably only use it with a headset, too, so the usefulness would be somewhat limited. Still, I don't think it's something that should be completely abandoned, maybe it will work out for the Pandora's successor if it's included early in the planning.
I'm not so sure: of course if you manage to put a GSM chip like the one in the freerunner inside pandora and port openmoko to it (shouldn't be that hard) you will be able to make/receive calls and SMSs, but I don't think that the clamshell design of pandora would be good for a phone.

If you start redesigning the layout, move the audio parts so that they can be used e.g. with the lid closed, add some phone controls etc. you no longer have a pandora, and may as well start from scratch, or just buy a FreeRunner

But then, my main phone is a 30 euro sturdy thing with more than one week of battery, so I don't really understand the whole smartphone stuff.

rokdcasbah said:
No, honestly asking. I have never been able to send a text message to my phone via email, but I have tried on both nextel and AT&T. Maybe it's something you have to sign up for? I was wondering if GMail's actually would work, but I tried it and it doesn't seem to work.

Sorry to derail things, back to your thread already in progress...
Yeah I remember my friend saying that gmail did sms and that it was a one way thing. I just googled gmail sms and it was like the first link. It's one of the gmail "labs" things. Not entirely sure how it works. But it does and thats the important thing lol. I'm using it right now and it's working perfectly.

Edit:
Ok so i just had a dee dee dee moment...
Someone probably already posted this...
Couldn't you bluetooth into a cell phone that your near and call like that. (read the third line of my sig)
Say you want to call someone but your mom/dad/sibling/spouse wont let you use there cell phone. You sneak in the dead of night fix up there cell... and viola no one gets hurt.

yes, actually. It was mentioned way back when. Instead of trying to cram cell phone powers into the Pandora, just get a cheap, no frills (bluetooth is standard now, right?), $20 phone and tether to that. There's even software which can manage your contacts and dial directly. Once they're paired, the phone can go into a backpack or elsewhere, and you can use the Pandora for all your talking and texting needs. In theory. The software needs to be ported, but at least it exists.

Well you won't have any official flash support from Adobe... or at least that would be pretty unlikely. Your only hope would be Gnash which I have heard is getting better. Still still using a website instead of a VOIP program... I don't think this is a good idea.

There are quite a few VOIP program and SIP provider. Some of them will be ported to the Pandora for sure. Might take a little time but it is very likely to happen.

Having skype forwould be nice for a lot of users (although closed-source), but I doubt will get a release for the pandora any time soon if ever.

A bit of a divergence, but what about instead of turning Pandora into the phone, connecting it up to the phone? I've been looking at MP3 players like the Samsung P2 that can use bluetooth to interface with a phone and run calls through the player and I think that would be an awesome feature to have for the Pandora.

Locri Epizephyrii said:
A bit of a divergence, but what about instead of turning Pandora into the phone, connecting it up to the phone? I've been looking at MP3 players like the Samsung P2 that can use bluetooth to interface with a phone and run calls through the player and I think that would be an awesome feature to have for the Pandora.
keaft said:
Ok so i just had a dee dee dee moment...
Someone probably already posted this...
Couldn't you bluetooth into a cell phone that your near and call like that. (read the third line of my sig)
Say you want to call someone but your mom/dad/sibling/spouse wont let you use there cell phone. You sneak in the dead of night fix up there cell... and viola no one gets hurt.
Polossatik said:
just what I said one page ago :)
Maybe I should put that on my first post.

Skype's Alternatives:
Ekiga is the free alternative for gnome
Epiphany (with telepathy) is the equivalent of msn messanger (sound + video) and can translate all the messanger protocol like Pingin.

I'm pretty sure that the community will adapt those freeware on Pandora

Sorry to violate one of the "Things you don't do" rules in my very first posting to this forum already, but I learned about (and preordered) the Pandora a few days ago, which was already way beyond 3 months from the last posting. Nevertheless, I think turning the Pandora into a cell phone is an intriguing idea, so here we go:

Here is a GSM module (including GPS!) that, as it seems, can be used to build your own cell phone (cf. the example rotary phone you can buy under "Related Products"):

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=757
(GM862 product homepage)

Unfortunately, I am by no means an expert in any related field (except, perhaps, electrodynamics, but that won't help us implement a GSM phone add-on device and app for the Pandora ;-))

Cheers,
Matthias

Matthias_H posted on May 21 2009 at 10:00 AM) Sorry to violate one of the "Things you don't do" rules in my very first posting to this forum already said:
the Pandora a few days ago, which was already way beyond 3 months from the last posting. Nevertheless, I think turning the Pandora into a cell phone is an intriguing idea, so here we go:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=757[/URL]
(GM862 product homepage)

Unfortunately, I am by no means an expert in any related field (except, perhaps, electrodynamics, but that won't help us implement a GSM phone add-on device and app for the Pandora ;-)"]

Cheers,
Matthias
At least you realize that what you're doing shouldn't be done. ^_^ Next time, however, please make a new topic and link to the original topic in your post.

Anyways, I think the Bluetooth tethering idea is probably the best bet at getting the Pandora to work like a phone. At least at this point in time.

-God Ginrai

craigix posted on May 21 2009 at 03:40 PM) I'm pretty certain that SonyErricsons PSP-Phone (PSPhone said:
is using the OMAP3.
What PSPhone? o_ô

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai posted on May 21 2009 at 10:17 PM) [quote="dflemstr posted on May 21 2009 at 04:10 PM said:
God Ginrai posted on May 21 2009 at 10:08 PM said:
craigix posted on May 21 2009 at 03:40 PM said:
I'm pretty certain that SonyErricsons PSP-Phone (PSPhone"] is using the OMAP3.
What PSPhone? o_ô
-God Ginrai
Probably yet another rumor, but look here: http://www.unwiredview.com/2007/06/01/psp-...-sony-ericsson/[/quote]That's from 2 years ago. o.o

-God Ginrai

...which would make it very improbable that it uses OMAP3 (if there ever was any doubt that it didn't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back