Censorship On The Forum

A_SN said:
Squidge said:
A_SN said:
What one stupid person?
The troll who's name starts with 'e' and ends with 'r'.

First of all, KeyboardCowboy wasn't Epicenter, some people pointed out why, and then he wasn't saying anything stupid. The only idiots were the stubborn ones who kept claiming he was Epicenter, thus dismissing his pertinent comments and ruining the discussion.

Anyways, this topic is about deleted posts, NOT KeyboardCowboy, thanks.

Sorry I hijacked your thread, but this point is well made! I was loving the discussion! And why has no mod come on here to explain themselves? I hate this 'secret police' modding. Make the 'Warn level' public, dammit!!!

Nova said:
AS_N IS EPICENTER!!!

10 points!

("I'm Epicenter, and so is my wife")

Last edited by a moderator:
Lurkio said:
ZOMG NOT FORUM CENSORSHIPS!11!!ONE!

Sound like conspiracy theorists much. (attach your tinfoil hats now)

Carry on. ;)
Well where did the 12 posts go then...

A_SN said:
Well where did the 12 posts go then...
I stole them to sell into the forum post slave market. :)

To be serious, stuff like this is certainly not new on any forum and this forum is nowhere near the worst i've seen for doing this.

In short I think that people are overreacting , but then you probably guessed my stance on this by the content of my previous post.

Well, you know that some of the mods on this forum will delete things and/or change things without public statement. We already know that. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're censoring someone, it could just be that they they're removing what they believe to be irrelevant content. Note that I'm not trying to protect them so much as I am just pointing out a known practice (which shouldn't really surprise any longtime forum members by now).

As far as KC was concerned, either he was EC or from the same mold. The problem with him wasn't that he was discussing something, it's that he was laboriously grinding on about something that seems to have been decided (the chipset). If he were actually trying to change something, he'd do it in a private, constructive way, addressing the actually developers directly instead of going on and on about the GP2X's faults (sound familiar?). That's why some people think of him as "one stupid person".

It wasn't a real discussion; in a discussion someone makes a clear point and they allow for retort... they don't ramble on like he did.

The other thing is that he seemed to be arguing about stuff other people have talked about rather than from experience or actual faults. If your going to argue something, at least have facts first rather than guess.

Conjecture based on fact is different from a guess, but you're more than entitled to your views. I can't rationalize labelling that as trolling, however.

Even if it's at a moderator's discretion to lock a topic, I didn't see a real justification for it. Likewise I can't say that I agree with deleting posts unless they are outright offensive (hate speech, someone posting disgusting pictures, things of that nature) or the content was illegal. The idea behind a forum is to allow free expression of ideas, not to suppress unwanted views. The fact that it wasn't just one person's comments removed, instead an entire branch of conversation, is troubling indeed.

I don't think us mods are too evil or strict on the boards, we are quite relaxed in a lot of ways.
I know of some boards where they are far stricter. One such example is a forum my boyfriend is a member of, the moderators there (called the Gort team) will give you a strict seeing to you if you even bend the rules a little. And if you say anything against the Gort team, it's an instant ban until they sincerely apologize! That's going a bit too far even in my books.

Heil Hitler!

hitler.jpg

Just because on some other forum your boyfriend has to toe the line etc means nothing to us here.

I am serious, why was the old thread closed and the new one opened? Why? Who closed it? Why has no mod come on here to explain etc.

The old thread was EXACTLY the same as the new one, the same people posting the same stuff. Dzz and Keyboard Cowboy etc. And as Warm and Fluffy said in her opening the the new thread, it was generating interesting discussion! So why the bleep bleep was it closed, just so that a mod could open HER thread about it. Pure ego? Maybe...

Just weird, arrogant and egocentric modding behaviour.

lubidog said:
So why the bleep bleep was it closed, just so that a mod could open HER thread about it. Pure ego? Maybe...

Just weird, arrogant and egocentric modding behaviour.
It was turning into a flamefest, just like the new topic will most likely do. :)

Also anyone that thinks forums are used for the free expression of ideas rather than just being an old boys club needs to show some evidence or hand in their internet licence.

BTW yes I am getting sick of this shit.

Lurkio said:
It was turning into a flamefest, just like the new topic will most likely do. :)
Maybe they could've let it stay in that one thread then rather than making another?

Orkie said:
Maybe they could've let it stay in that one thread then rather than making another?
I'm guessing that they thought it would be best to make a fresh start, it doesn't seem to have worked out like that though.

Lurkio said:
Yes, but who was doing the flaming? I don't recall KeyboardCowboy flaming anyone - quite the opposite. I feel quite ashamed to be a member of a forum whose other members attack someone so viciously with absolutely no provocation at all.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

D.

Dunny said:
Yes, but who was doing the flaming? I don't recall KeyboardCowboy flaming anyone - quite the opposite.
Did I say that He/She/It was flaming anyone. (if that wasn't aimed at me feel free to ignore my comment)

Dunny said:
Lurkio said:
Yes, but who was doing the flaming? I don't recall KeyboardCowboy flaming anyone - quite the opposite. I feel quite ashamed to be a member of a forum whose other members attack someone so viciously with absolutely no provocation at all.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

D.

Ditto. I still wanna know why posts have been deleted.

Back