Changing Username

ldaneels

Hi,

I am having a hard time changing my Pandora username. I tried usermod -l Newusername Oldusername, but it tells me I am logged in. I tried to log out manually, but it doesn't work as I need to log back in before I can do anything. I tried the sudo argument, but no success. Is there an argument to use with the sudo command or another way to change username ?

Thanks for any help

I think you can use sudo su to set the root password, then use CTRL-ALT-F1 (with a USB keyboard attached (+hub)) to get to a terminal login, login as root and change your password from there

If it complains about the user being logged in you may need to make another user account, log into that account.. run that command to rename (will need sudo access) and then you can delete that temporary account once done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"killall -u username" then do it from terminal.
Won't work, that will just killall your processes and bring you back to the login prompt.. And to run that command you need to be logged as somebody.. However if your logged in as the same user as you're trying to change the name it will complain that you are logged in.. why you need at least a second account to do so.

Or like what was suggested reflash the firmware maybe quicker than dealing with these quirky things.

You won't be able to log in as root unless you enable the root account by setting a root password.. this is a process as you need to sudo su and then run passwd to set a password, Also this isn't too much different than using a second temporary account like I suggested.. Also without plugging in an external keyboard I haven't been able to get to the background consoles as ctrl-alt-f1 is ctrl-alt-fn-1 on the pandora keyboard and it seems to be too many keystrokes to register for the Pandora keyboard. 

I was trying to find solutions that wouldn't be too much of a process.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up creating a second account & deleting the old one.

I understand what he did, my question was HOW he did create a second account and delete the first one. HOW. :)
start a command line, then :

sudo adduser <newusername>

log back in with that new user, starta a terminal then :

sudo deluser <oldusername>

Is there really more to it than changing the (real) passwd and group files?

Back