Changing Username

I went into System > Usermanager > Add User.

It is quite simple, really.

I hope this helps.

I want to change my username, but if I create a new one and delete the old, wouldn't it erase all my configs?

Is there a way to keep my current setup?

I want to change my username, but if I create a new one and delete the old, wouldn't it erase all my configs?

Is there a way to keep my current setup?
Most (if not all) configuration (xfce and such) is stored in the users home directory, try to find the ones that are of interest (e.g.) and copy them the new users home directory

cd /media/SDCARD/

tar cjf home_backup.tar.bz2 ~/

<reflash the firmware: simply creating a second user account has caused problems with some PNDs in the past>

<log in to your freshly flashed Pandora with all new user>

cd ~

tar xjf /media/SDCARD/home_backup.tar.bz2

<reboot>

I find it hard to envision a flaw that would tie a PND to a particular account that wouldn't be preserved in a tar of your home directory, so I don't really understand why reflashing then untarring into your new home directory is any better than creating a new user, moving the contents of ~ across, and deleting the old account.

Anyone have any idea what could cause a PND to be tied to a user account that would be avoided by reflashing?

Anyone have any idea what could cause a PND to be tied to a user account that would be avoided by reflashing?
I can't remember actually, there was a post some time ago about a problem someone was having and we couldn't solve it until the person remembered that they'd created a second account and were using that. Something to do with the uid I think? whatever the problem was, it's entirely possible it was solved long ago and I'm just being paranoid on outdated information.
Actually, yeah, you make a good point: creating a second account, copying the contents of home across, and then deleting the first account is probably a good first step. The worst that'll happen is it doesn't work right and you're no worse off. Take a backup of home like I mentioned first so at the very least if it doesn't work you can then reflash and restore.

Back