Charge Other Device With Pandora?

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
Searching for charging will only result in topics asking about the charger of the pandora and stuff like that.

Im curious, i have a bluetooth GPS, and its charged by USB. just like my iphone, mp3 player, video glasses and bluetooth earphones. So i was wondering if i could just bring my pandora and one usb cable with me? and ofcource a psp adapter to charge the pandora itself?
Or is it not possible somehow?

just wanted to make sure, the panda got 4000mah and thats good for charging some goodies sometimes:)

The Pandora can also be charged via USB. So you could get a computer, plug the Pandora into it via USB to charge, and then plug your other device into the Pandora to charge that.
Following to its obvious conclusion, by using two USB cables, you can connect one Pandora to the other in a loop, thereby charging each Pandora off the other, resulting in infinite charge!

I also heard you can charge the Pandora with a banana over USB, similarily as with PSP.

video glasses, eh?

any cheap ones that would suit the pandora?
mostly for when im on the buss, no need to watch a tiny screen.

Theres also USB2VGA adapters nowadays...

borgqueenx said:
Searching for charging will only result in topics asking about the charger of the pandora and stuff like that.

Im curious, i have a bluetooth GPS, and its charged by USB. just like my iphone, mp3 player, video glasses and bluetooth earphones. So i was wondering if i could just bring my pandora and one usb cable with me? and ofcource a psp adapter to charge the pandora itself?
Or is it not possible somehow?

just wanted to make sure, the panda got 4000mah and thats good for charging some goodies sometimes:)
4200 mah chap. :)
Not that it makes that much difference...

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Following to its obvious conclusion, by using two USB cables, you can connect one Pandora to the other in a loop, thereby charging each Pandora off the other, resulting in infinite charge!

lol

OK, WizardStan has officially given up on the physical rules of this universe.
I blame this on the mold makers' time dilatation effects.

borgqueenx topic

You don't even need two pandoras for infinite USB power, do you? Just plug both ends into one Pandora.

typs lik dis said:
borgqueenx topic

You don't even need two pandoras for infinite USB power, do you? Just plug both ends into one Pandora.
:blink:
*bows*
You are truly the master! I am not worthy!

typs lik dis said:
borgqueenx topic

OH SHI-

WizardStan said:
The Pandora can also be charged via USB. So you could get a computer, plug the Pandora into it via USB to charge, and then plug your other device into the Pandora to charge that.

*kind of*. It would take a PC 8.4 hours to charge the Pandora, IF IT IS OFF. If it is on and completely idle (which would be required to charge both devices), let's say using 200mAh, it would take 14 hours. If you are charging another device with it, let's say a GPS that has a 2000mAh battery... it would take 20.6 hours to charge both devices.

typs lik dis said:

Problem is, the Pandora needs to be turned on to supply power to the USB out port. So it would be draining a minimum of 100-200 mAh. Even if it were possible to charge with the Pandora off, you'd have to take into account sources of energy loss (which, although being very minuscule, do exist).

typs lik dis said:

This is brilliant.

Gary13579 said:
Problem is, the Pandora needs to be turned on to supply power to the USB out port. So it would be draining a minimum of 100-200 mAh. Even if it were possible to charge with the Pandora off, you'd have to take into account sources of energy loss (which, although being very minuscule, do exist).
*woosh*

Gary13579 said:
Actually, this isn't a problem. A standard USB port is capable of putting out 500ma. So, if the Pandora consumes 100-200ma, that still leaves an energy surplus in the looped-back charge configuration.

You could probably plug in an unpowered hub and add a USB device to take advantage of the surplus 300-400ma. Just don't forget to take into account the drain from the hub.

The Pandora should be able to run indefinitely in this configuration, without recharging.

VRAndy said:
Gary13579 said:
Actually, this isn't a problem. A standard USB port is capable of putting out 500ma. So, if the Pandora consumes 100-200ma, that still leaves an energy surplus in the looped-back charge configuration.

You could probably plug in an unpowered hub and add a USB device to take advantage of the surplus 300-400ma. Just don't forget to take into account the drain from the hub.

The Pandora should be able to run indefinitely in this configuration, without recharging.
Errr ... What?!?!

And what powers the USB ports? ;)

If your answer is not "the battery" then I ask again "and what powers that?". In the end it all leads to drawing power from the battery (or an infinite loop of questions, with no conclusive answer).

Yes, the fantasy world where energy pops out of nowhere was fun for a while. The real world is another story though. :)

Yoyobuae said:
Yes, the fantasy world where energy pops out of nowhere was fun for a while. The real world is another story though. :)
*woosh*

Gary13579 said:
*kind of*. It would take a PC 8.4 hours to charge the Pandora, IF IT IS OFF. If it is on and completely idle (which would be required to charge both devices), let's say using 200mAh, it would take 14 hours. If you are charging another device with it, let's say a GPS that has a 2000mAh battery... it would take 20.6 hours to charge both devices.

Not necessarily. USB is 5V, Pandora's battery is nominally about 3.7-3.8V. So the charge time could be reduced a little if the step down from USB power is efficient (switching instead of LDO, I guess.. with my usual "not an EE" disclaimer on that)

A quite serious, useful use case of the Pandora as charger is for (re-)charging a Bluetooth GPS. I've got this nifty keyring-sized BT GPS which is charged via USB. A fully charged unit lasts for about 20 hours, but as there seems to be zero storage-discharge (nothing I can measure anyway) I tend to leave it alone for many months sometimes. Sometimes I put it away without recharging it, then I'm suddenly on the road in some area with no power anywhere and I don't remember how much charge it had (there's no indicator). It's good to know that I can easily charge it from the Pandora if necessary (it doesn't take much juice to let it run for hours afterwards).

Yoyobuae said:

so far Pandora's only exist in the Fantasy world, so unlimited powers a possibility.....

LiquidG said:
Yoyobuae said:

so far Pandora's only exist in the Fantasy world, so unlimited powers a possibility.....
Apart from the prototypes.

Back