Chatboard (nigel Brown Version) - Review

taras

Mega Pandora mania
Website
taras.net
I was surprised to find the chatboard was tinier than I had imagined - slightly longer than the GP32 screen and around the same height. It's also extremely thin. The buttons aren't too difficult to press, though.

The cable Nigel mods onto it is top quality and very flexible. There is enough for you to prop the GP up as a screen.

The chatboard and cable "fold" away quite nicely into the inside back pocket on the official case.

It works with all chatboard apps so far. The only problem is the lack of certain keys, although this is a problem with the original (Ericsson) Chatboard design - keys like Enter, Escape, function keys, Ctrl etc do not exist, but in their place are keys like Yes, No, WWW, SMS.

Overall 9/10 !

have you tried EdgePad v0.1 ??? it has just been released ... and in a near
future windups v2 would support chatboard too, so kedit will. B)

Aiken

How are the keys on the chatboard? Are they soft or hard keys? How well do they perform if you repeatedly pressed them, like if you were typing fast or something?

Not too well right now ...
the driver and the chatboard itself are still under development ...
but Edgewrite were one of the app that better manage the chatboard ...

Aiken

I had the Ericsson chatboard ages ago for my phone - it clipped onto the bottom and was rigid.

From what I hear the board is now modded with a new connector via a cable - as GP32 is a handheld wont this make for a sloppy way of using it?

Im just thinking that you can't use it on a crowded bus, or walkin down the street, you would need a stand or something to prop up the screen...

Im sure I've got it in a draw somewhere, but Id need to get a cable mod for it - any ideas?

I had the Ericsson chatboard ages ago for my phone - it clipped onto the bottom and was rigid.

From what I hear the board is now modded with a new connector via a cable - as GP32 is a handheld wont this make for a sloppy way of using it?

Im just thinking that you can't use it on a crowded bus, or walkin down the street, you would need a stand or something to prop up the screen...

Im sure I've got it in a draw somewhere, but Id need to get a cable mod for it - any ideas?
what you walk down the street playing a GP32?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well since I set it up as a GPS device I would use it as a mapping system walkin down the street :p

I think you know what I mean - standin at the bus stop etc, if it was still in a rigid clip on format you could hold the board and GP32 as one unit

Well since I set it up as a GPS device I would use it as a mapping system walkin down the street :p

I think you know what I mean - standin at the bus stop etc, if it was still in a rigid clip on format you could hold the board and GP32 as one unit
more info on the gps plz :D

really, that sounds REALLY cool...i have NO idea why...it just does... B)

Hia,

I bought the Ericson chatboard from Craigs little bunch a few weeks back, it works, but as yet I haven't found a REAL use for it.

Quake Console works with it, and so does Speccyall, to a fashion as it appears you need to press SMS a lot. One thing though, the rubber keys do give you a bit of Spectrum nostalgia :lol: .

I wouldn't mind a little text editor that works with it, that would be nice. I wonder if the linux emulator works with it. I guess you could do a lot more with it then.

TTFN,
Clare.

thre IS a text editor for it, look in betatest foprum
and linux is a port no emulator... and it works wit chatbaord since ages

Vimacs posted on Sep 29 2004 at 02:23 PM said:
thre IS a text editor for it, look in betatest foprum
and linux is a port no emulator... and it works wit chatbaord since ages

Kewl! I will have to peek into them.

Clare.

Back