Cheap Webcam

Julius

Website
freegamearts.tuxfamily.org
A cheap webcam in the screen compartment would be probably really easy to add and could be used for all sorts of fun things (see below)

Best would be 320x240 or slightly above and it must have at least 30 fps (with auto gamma disabled). A removable IR filter for fun IR tracking things would be a nice addition (or a cam with only a weak IR filter).

1. Really cheap most probably and the OMAP has already full support.
2. Can be used for video tel.
3. Can be used for fun augmented reality games:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfp8id6bpDU
4. Can be used for all sort of fun tracking things:
Those eyetoy like games
http://www.free-track.net/english/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw (doesn't need a wiimote)
5. Almost all things an accelerometer can do can be done with a camera and motion tracking as well.
6. Uhmmm, use your pandora as a video surveilance system???

Discuss :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm not sure this is going to happen. I have to admit this would be very cool, and no doubt I'd use it, but I think it is one of those unnecessary things, considering the real purpose of the Pandora is gaming with PC on the side.

If you really want a webcam, something like this would work almost as well as built-in I would think, as long as there are Linux drivers available.

Edit: Found the page for this webcam (after fumbling with the manufacturer's Korean site, which won't work in a translation site since words are encoded in images) here. The driver is reported to be "Plug-and-Play" which means it uses drivers already existing in Windows. That increases its likelihood of it working in Linux. Yay. :)

Another edit: Nevermind. The above only applies to its camera feature. The webcam feature requires drivers which come on a disk. :(

Last edit: Googling "notebook webcam" pulls up many compact USB webcam products... pay no mind to the Korean stuffs.

Most USB cams work quite well with Linux, but as with all addons they will not be used by "the" programmers by all probability.

Besides, a ultra portable handheld is pretty much the absolute opposite idea to adding all sorts of add ons (on the go).

True...

...but then again, we must question ourselves "Would we wait another 2-3 months for them to add X feature?" If the answer is no, it's not worth it. :)

And, yes, 2-3 months I think is a reasonable guess considering the new software, hardware designs, and testings it would have to go through before they made 3000 copies of it.

That is true, however, theres nothing stopping them from adding such a feature in a future revision; albeit, it's pretty clear that there is not going to be a revision until atleast several cycles of the system is sold and they workout any problems with the current design.

Game_over said:
That is true, however, theres nothing stopping them from adding such a feature in a future revision; albeit, it's pretty clear that there is not going to be a revision until atleast several cycles of the system is sold and they workout any problems with the current design.
Actually, the camera interface pins are being used by the game buttons and we have used just about EVERYTHING on this chip so it isn't going to happen.

A cheap ass camera on such a fine piece of hardware seems wrong to me anyway. :)

MWeston said:
Actually, the camera interface pins are being used by the game buttons and we have used just about EVERYTHING on this chip so it isn't going to happen.

A cheap ass camera on such a fine piece of hardware seems wrong to me anyway. :)
I agree 100%. My cellphone has a cheap camera and it really sucks. I've never gotten a very good picture out of it (wasn't as bad as this free camera Earthlink gave me years ago though.. that thing was not even remotely useable for anything ever, just gave a kind of interlaced blur instead of a picture)

Anyone who wants this is much better off buying one as an add-on, that's the beautiful thing about USB host. Anything cheap enough to add w/o inflating the price too much would be too low quality to be good for anything.

Cool, I would honestly hate to see the Pandora with a built in camera; built in things as such on devices that was applied as maybe and afterthought eventually always becomes a waste of plastic and real-estate in the end.

Back