Release Chromium-Dev

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I just grabbed one of the later snapshots from Chromium and packaged it into the PND.

Made some quick tests:

Sync works, SSL works, pages seem to work fine, Themes work.

Only problems I encountered:

Bookmark Manager still doesn't work (however, you can create new bookmarks and use them around using the menu bar).

Menu has lots of weird unneeded stuff (Fake WiFi, etc.) and the preferences menu is kinda slow.

Download: Grab and test it here

Thanks! That's good news :) . Crashes can be fixed but performance was what I was worried about. That means that at least simplish synchronous html5 games should be possible. I'll have to look more into this when I get my unit :p

My guess is that your Chromium build is trying to build Chromium as though it's going to be packaged with Chromium OS. I was reading through the build instructions for Chromium (http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxBuildInstructions), and I'd say make sure that you've set GYP_DEFINES=chromeos=0, just to explicitly say that it shouldn't be built with the extra Chromium OS stuff. Hopefully that'll fix a few issues, as that page says that some features in the chromeos=1 build depend on the rest of Chromium OS and can cause issues and instability.

Hm, I just grab a precompiled version from the build-server, as various people had problems building it :(

So I cannot disable that flag :/

Hm, I just grab a precompiled version from the build-server, as various people had problems building it :(

So I cannot disable that flag :/

I'm pretty sure, that once the "os.new" is released, building chromium will be piece of cake. In the mean time I would be very surprised if google can't correctly set their own build flags :D

I'm sure they know how to set their build flags. ;)

I looked through their builds, and saw an argument to their compile script (for the Chromium ARM build) "chromeos_builder", which wasn't present for the "Chromium Linux" build. My guess is that they assume that people aren't going to use Chromium on ARM unless they're using all of Chromium OS (which is a decent assumption).

Stdio for Chromium Linux build: http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/waterfall/builders/Chromium%20Linux/builds/16847/steps/compile/logs/stdio

Stdio for Chromium ARM build: http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/waterfall/builders/Chromium%20Arm/builds/8703/steps/compile/logs/stdio

EDIT: In the update step (it's the step before compile, I'm assuming it's the equivalent of ./configure), stdio logs show that chromeos=1 - I'm guessing this is causing the weird stuff in the menu bar (and possibly some of our other problems).

Source: http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/waterfall/builders/Chromium%20Arm/builds/8704/steps/gclient/logs/stdio

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently in the process of trying to get an OE build environment set up so I can build Chromium from source (without the Chrome OS and whatnot). Just wanted to let people know, I guess.

Can anyone help me (DJWillis, if you're reading this, I'm looking at you) get a toolchain set up? I tried using DJWillis's instructions (and scripts) that Skeezix mentioned in his thread (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52343-pandora-sdk-installer/), but I'm running Arch x64, so the 32-bit prepackaged toolchain won't work for me. I'm having issues creating it though, (using "bitbake meta-toolchain-pandora" once OE is set up), as it says that things such as libqt-phonon4-dev don't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid question time, at present which of the Chromium versions is actually better for use on the Pandora? I received my replacement model last week and have tried both versions, but got the blinking cursor of death on the normal build (if I remember correctly)...

Stupid question time, at present which of the Chromium versions is actually better for use on the Pandora? I received my replacement model last week and have tried both versions, but got the blinking cursor of death on the normal build (if I remember correctly)...
This version is fast but the download manager seems a bit wierd, I think buttons are missing but works, and I had it dump out to blinking cursor twice last night requiring a reboot,

This version is fast but the download manager seems a bit wierd, I think buttons are missing but works, and I had it dump out to blinking cursor twice last night requiring a reboot,

Now that makes me wonder did I get the same thing happen on both of the versions, I've not downloaded the latest dev version yet, but I had the previous one installed.

Hm, yeah, had that blinking cursor myself one time now.

Worked fine during the last days, but something still crashes X... grrrr.

Downloads work as long as you set the path in preferences to your SD Card.

It will save it into Downloads on appdata regardless what path you select - a bit weird, but okay.

And yep, buttons in Download dialogue are missing.

No wonder this is a dev snapshot :D

Hm, yeah, had that blinking cursor myself one time now.

Worked fine during the last days, but something still crashes X... grrrr.

Downloads work as long as you set the path in preferences to your SD Card.

It will save it into Downloads on appdata regardless what path you select - a bit weird, but okay.

And yep, buttons in Download dialogue are missing.

No wonder this is a dev snapshot :D

I set my download to the root folder on my 2nd sd card which works ( there are no folders on that card)

Is it right that I dont have a close button I need to right click the taskbar and click close.)

Back