Chumby-Like Widget Engine

but... then people will wake up, and hate their alarm clock, which is their pandora. :(
they will punch pandora. pandora will be sad. and dysfunctional.

Been tempted to buy a Chumby for ages but couldn't justify the cost.

gDesklets could probably be either used or modified for this, XCFE is GTK compliant anyway. Only problem with that would be if you wanted to use them with other desktops.

Something based on QT would probably be best for cross platform use. Don't the KDE4 widgets use QT?

Wheels said:
Gruso said:
.., THE CLAPPER.
I once knew a young lady who answered to that...
I told you to stay away from my mum <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, glad some people like my idea :)

Funnily enough, clapping was one way of doing it that I thought of after I came off, another was a webcam, point it under your bed, wave your arm, it notices this, turns the screen on. One nice lazy action :)
(even though that does sound hard to do, and only useful to me, as I have a bunk bed.)
edit:
have some email lovelyness.
rhs5cp.jpg

Attachments

• rhs5cp.jpg
    rhs5cp.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 201
I would really like to see Chumby-like widgets on the Pandora. I wonder if it would be possible to have a Chumby OS emulator for Pandora, so that we could use the pre-existing widgets -- that would mean access to LastFM, alarm clocks, etc. The Pandora is hardly a competitor to Chumby, so maybe the Chumby folks would be into it. Chumby widgets use Flash video, however. And the screen sizes and resolutions are different.

Here's the Chumby wiki, which has some details about the OS and widgets.
http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

cobaltage said:
I would really like to see Chumby-like widgets on the Pandora. I wonder if it would be possible to have a Chumby OS emulator for Pandora, so that we could use the pre-existing widgets -- that would mean access to LastFM, alarm clocks, etc. The Pandora is hardly a competitor to Chumby, so maybe the Chumby folks would be into it. Chumby widgets use Flash video, however. And the screen sizes and resolutions are different.

Here's the Chumby wiki, which has some details about the OS and widgets.
http://wiki.chumby.c...x.php/Main_Page

They could give us nice starting points, insperation.

Flash will most likely be available to us, I can't see it being too hard to make he apps more pandora friendly.

Why don't we just see if we can implement Netvibes' UWA? It has a lot more widgets than Chumby does, and doesn't rely on Flash.

-God Ginrai

I think there would be advantages to any widget engine. I believe Chumby was conceived as an alternative to the clock radio, though, so there are tons of alarm clocks for Chumby.

cobaltage said:
I think there would be advantages to any widget engine. I believe Chumby was conceived as an alternative to the clock radio, though, so there are tons of alarm clocks for Chumby.

Yes, but the Chumby widgets hinge on Flash, which, while we will probably get it on the Pandora, we can't exactly guarantee when.

-God Ginrai

Perhaps Mac OS X Dashboard widgets would be useful? And Google Gadgets? And perhaps a few others.

They're all web based and supported by KDE's Plasma. If plasma is not used, it wouldn't be too hard to implement support for any of these on the pandora.

I just ordered a Chumby One, only $100 and can be used as a streaming internet or network mp3/flac player, pretty good price IMHO.

sindbad said:
Perhaps Mac OS X Dashboard widgets would be useful? And Google Gadgets? And perhaps a few others.

They're all web based and supported by KDE's Plasma. If plasma is not used, it wouldn't be too hard to implement support for any of these on the pandora.

I though about using Plasma for my launcher (Pangea) but I think it'd be a waste of precious ram memory, as plasma+kdelibs+qt would eat a lot of it. And we don't want a simple launcher to eat half of our ram..

efegea said:
sindbad said:

I though about using Plasma for my launcher (Pangea) but I think it'd be a waste of precious ram memory, as plasma+kdelibs+qt would eat a lot of it. And we don't want a simple launcher to eat half of our ram..
If KDE and plasma were already used, there would be no waste since the libraries would be shared. As I said, there would just be more work to get it working without Plasma, but entirely possible.

sindbad said:
If KDE and plasma were already used, there would be no waste since the libraries would be shared. As I said, there would just be more work to get it working without Plasma, but entirely possible.

Well, my launcher is more intended for running fullscreen applications, like games and emulators, it's just a simple launcher. So KDE won't be running at same time, so not shared libraries, kdelibs,libplasma,qt... would be used only by my launcher.

efegea said:
sindbad said:

Well, my launcher is more intended for running fullscreen applications, like games and emulators, it's just a simple launcher. So KDE won't be running at same time, so not shared libraries, kdelibs,libplasma,qt... would be used only by my launcher.

You said you were planning to have widgets, tho', right? Will it be your own custom style of widgets?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
efegea said:
sindbad said:

You said you were planning to have widgets, tho', right? Will it be your own custom style of widgets?

-God Ginrai

That was my plan, true, but it will not have widgets, at least, not on early versions, unless libplasma can be used (which would mean a rewrite...again..)

Back