Cinnamon as the official desktop?

I'd be interested to see where Lxde has gone.  Last time I tried it it was a lot lighter in terms of memory used than Xfce, but that was very early alpha and it had plenty of bugs (it didn't help that I was using it on a Fedora machine, and at the time the Fedora repos were well behind the curve wrt Lxde).
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXDE-Qt
Interesting.  That arguably makes more sense than moving to GTK3.

I'd like to see what the Xfce devs opinion is on how long they can continue to use a deprecated tool kit (gtk2+).  Of course, in open source 'deprecated' just means you might have to patch security holes on your own fork down the line, though widget toolkits are rarely exploited, so that's even less of an issue, if you're happy with it as it stands.

I'm a partial KDE fanboy. I like kwin, krunner, dolphin, konsole and kate. Maybe also systemsettings. Plasma isn't too shabby either once you take out all non-essential widgets. The rest is up for debate, though some of them still stack up very favourably against alternative applications. There are some parts I'm not too fond of, like the semantic desktop stuff. I get where it's aiming but at the moment I'm not really getting much out of it save for some usually wrong krunner results.

I'll run KDE anyway. Hopefully wifi switching wifi/bluetooth completely could be done with rfkill

I'm a partial KDE fanboy. I like kwin, krunner, dolphin, konsole and kate. Maybe also systemsettings. Plasma isn't too shabby either once you take out all non-essential widgets. The rest is up for debate, though some of them still stack up very favourably against alternative applications. There are some parts I'm not too fond of, like the semantic desktop stuff. I get where it's aiming but at the moment I'm not really getting much out of it save for some usually wrong krunner results.
I was always drawn to Gnome (for whatever reasons), so I may have permission to ask stupid, kde related questions:

I guess it would be possible to get "Plasma Active" running, but would it be also possible to easily switch between the standard KDE "Desktop" and that Plasma Active thingy (preferably without a login/logout in between) ?

I guess it would be possible to get "Plasma Active" running, but would it be also possible to easily switch between the standard KDE "Desktop" and that Plasma Active thingy (preferably without a login/logout in between) ?
It will be possible in kde 5 but it's still in development. The switch will be instant (as plasma-desktop <-> plasma-netbook now)

Last edited by a moderator:
plasma2/kde frameworks 5 may very well be out by the time pyra gets here. They're launching this year IIRC.

Modern UI/Metro

x_Troll_face_sh_340x340_png_pagespeed_ic_sz_HYbc43.png

I really do not care that much. My home workstation has KDE (debian). My work laptop has gnome (fedora), my home laptop has icewm(debian) and my handheld has xfce(armstrong). As long as getting the software I want running, it is fine with me.

Mate, mate mate mate mate, you should _always_ use mate as the default desktop enviroment. Gnome3, is way too laggy especially on anything but a high powered x86 cpu, kde? Same thing, kde's way too bloated to really work right now. Next up cinnammon is juste gnome3 except less crappy so once again it won't be a remotely good option. MATE is a standard UI that works, if you want to have a touch-based UI thing then you can easily just have the pandora menu for people to use. Also for the startup system since it's using debian, you guys should be using systemd to make the startup faster. Also the people talking about 3-4s for boot, ED must be using an insanely fast flash memory to even attempt that since incase you haven't realized flash memory is either a) cheap or B) fast. You can't get both. If you get fast you're going to be spending through the nose.

Anyway to just reiterate this some more, you guys _should_ compress the kernel image using lz4, and the os/etc you're probably just going to have to do gzip since I'm not aware of squashfs supporting lz4 currently. But by using lz4hc you'll be able to boot way faster as the decompression time is way way better. All system files should be on a lzo compressed btrfs based system if you want to increase startup time w/o much latency. If you want maximum flash speed then obviously f2fs is best but that's more for nand flash in the terms of ssds, and I'm pretty sure the omap5 uses emmc for it's interface so you're not exactly screaming fast when it comes to speed.

I've actually recently switched my work desktop machine to an Xfce desktop. I finally got irritated enough to throw out Fedora, and went with Manjaro instead. And I very consciously choose the Xfce version, to get back to a desktop that does not attempt to be anything but the thing upon which my work is done. 

plasma2/kde frameworks 5 may very well be out by the time pyra gets here. They're launching this year IIRC.

As I recall the first kde 4.x that made it into debian was something like 4.2 because earlier versions didn't have enough features to replace kde 3.5. I don't expect kde5 situation to be much different

As I recall the first kde 4.x that made it into debian was something like 4.2 because earlier versions didn't have enough features to replace kde 3.5. I don't expect kde5 situation to be much different
3.99.x and 4.0 had always been available from the experimental branch. The packages have been kept there as the debian devs were rethinking the dependencies system within the kde packages and a way to migrate from 3.x to 4.x. Beside 4.0 was a plateform release and no a fonctionnal desktop one so it made sense at this time.the 5.0 will be way less of a redesign but an incremental improvement release. Should be available quickly in sid.

Back