Cleansing The Gp2x

The Master

OK, I've got a slight cosmetic issue with one of my GP2Xs. The unit seems to have picked up some "oily-smudge" type fingermarks on the matt surface, mainly around the buttons, plus a little bit by the joystick where I assume my thumb must have been resting.

The problem is that the normal "damp cloth" treatment won't shift it, so I was wondering if anyone could advise on what's safe to use as a cleansing agent. An alcohol based solution? Some kind of soap? Oxygenated water? Has anyone had any experience of any of these, or anything else?

It's definitely just fingermarks rather than wear, as the GP2X is almost new. Shouldn't be a problem to remove somehow, but I just want to be really sure not to use anything that may react badly with the console's material and possibly cause damage.

Would really appreciate any helpful tips or horror stories! Strangely, my 2nd GP2X, which has been used just as often, doesn't exhibit this problem at all.

The problem with alcohol solutions is that they are generally part water so you should not use them. The screen-wipes (as Gruntfuggly said) are a good choice. I don't think they would cause damage to the plastic.

..otherwise known as a microfibre cloth. I actually want one of these but don't know where to buy one.

I got three of these clothes, one for my GP32, another for my GP2X and the last one is for my laptop, and they all do the job perfectly.

horror story:
101_0270.jpg

Right thanks guys, just a few quick questions:

When you say "screen wipes", do you mean the disposable moistened anti-static variety that come in packets or tubes, for cleaning monitors etc? Even if not, would they be safe to use on the GP2X?

I've tried a dry "microfibre cloth" and it didn't seem to have any effect at all, neither when slightly dampened... however it's not the same type of cloth as that for cleaning glasses, will try that later on if I can locate one. I reckon this is going to need *some* type of liquid to shift though, or it would already have come off.

You can kind of see what I mean on this eBay listing: HERE

... there was another one a bit worse the other day, but it seems that auction's been taken down.

It can only be sweat or other finger juices - it's not like I grab my GP2X right after a greasy fry-up! Would be nice to get off though. Any more suggestions or voices of experience gratefully welcomed.

purple_goat, that didn't happen from cleaning, did it!?

Looks more like it exploded than melted to me...!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm going to try baby/screen wipes I think, depending on which I can find first on Monday... plus one of those glasses cleaning cloths. Fingers crossed.

I'm going to try baby/screen wipes I think, depending on which I can find first on Monday... plus one of those glasses cleaning cloths. Fingers crossed.
Let us know how you go. I am trying to decide how to clean mine too.

Glasses cleaning cloths sound hopeful for a dry method, becauses half the population wear glasses and it's imperative that one can see through their glasses.

Baby wipes sound hopeful for a wet method, because they are cheap and have to be non corrosive due to baby's sensitive skin :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Baby wipes sound hopeful for a wet method, because they are cheap and have to be non corrosive due to baby's sensitive skin :)
.. Just as long as you don't mind your 2X having that new baby smell lol.

Something else that I used to use to clean my laptop were tumble dryer sheets. These tend to be a little greasy though & have a much stronger smell to them. Not too bad if you leave a sheet out of the packet a day or two before using on the laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right then...

You said: BABY WIPES. Our survey said: UH-UH!

(but thanks for the tip... they brought my laptop up a treat, and much cheaper than the "laptop wipes" you can buy in PC stores which are probably exactly the same thing...)

You said: MICROFIBRE CLOTH. Our survey said: UH-UH!

(again, very useful, perfect for screen cleaning or *normal* fingerprint marks... just not these ones).

I'm starting to wonder if I just got a unit with slightly dodgy finish round the buttons and only just noticed recently. Doesn't seem possible to shift these smudges in any case. I'm not that fussed about it really, but would still like to try and avoid it happening more, or on my other unit. Assuming it *wasn't* like that out of the box, any thoughts what could cause it?

Hmmm... you could try glass cleaner I suppose. It's great for removing ink from printers, but I'm not too sure about oiley stains?

EDIT: Don't forget to test it on a small (out of the way) part first, for any chance of it screwing up the plastic.

Back