Clonk Planet For Gp2x 0.1 - Public Beta

Is this fullspeed?
The download version isn't, my version is more like it, exept when alot of stuff happens at once.

Is this worth not studying for tomorrow's chemistry test??
Depents, would you like to pass your year or not?

Will be some kind of Exit in next version? It's annoying to reset gp2x everytime you want to change level.
Is it normal, that you have to push down to stop Clank from moving? Volume control will be good too. All in all it looks as very nice game.
My current version allows exiting, but when I try to start a next game then it crashes. Next version will have volume control. And it's normal that you have to press down for stopping.

EDIT:
So if anyone could tell me some good starting points with playing, I haven't found any infos how to get started, I just walked around, trying to kill some sharks just to later flood the sea with oil.
I suggest playing trought the first few tutorials for starters. After that you could do the goldmine level (in easy) to get the hang of mining a bit.

Is any of the links you posted getting updated now and then? It's annoying to get thrown out everytime you're game over.
Not yet, as the current version isn't fully stable yet. I'll tell when a new version is ready.

Just saw the tutorial levels, doh.
The text there sometimes goes over the screen, something you might also wan't to add to your todo list.

Thanks again,
Dave.

*goes clonking*

*finishes tutorial 1*

*restarts gp2x*

*finsihes tutorial 2*

*restarts gp2x*

Oh well, the game rocks :D

Your port of this game is awesome and as soon as you fix minor bugs the game is suffering from (like pausing when loading sounds, as you mentioned above), Clonks will rock! At the time there one thing that really troubles me: because I haven't ever play original Clonks, I tried to play tutorial levels. I was awfully surprised when I found out that the tutorial text couldn't fit to screen! I could see only the middle part of each text (nevertheless, I can tell what majority of the texts mean).

I'm looking forward to next release. Good work, Daid!

EDIT: Looks like DaveN was faster than me :blink:

ZeroFusion posted on Sep 4 2006 at 05:17 PM said:
Your port of this game is awesome and as soon as you fix minor bugs the game is suffering from (like pausing when loading sounds, as you mentioned above), Clonks will rock! At the time there one thing that really troubles me: because I haven't ever play original Clonks, I tried to play tutorial levels. I was awfully surprised when I found out that the tutorial text couldn't fit to screen! I could see only the middle part of each text (nevertheless, I can tell what majority of the texts mean).

Clonk.JPG
Like this? :)

I've also fixed the sound loading (simply loads the basic sounds on start now)

As my batteries are empty I cannot test on the GP2x right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daid posted on Sep 4 2006 at 09:14 PM said:
ZeroFusion posted on Sep 4 2006 at 05:17 PM said:

Clonk.JPG
Like this? :)

I've also fixed the sound loading (simply loads the basic sounds on start now)

As my batteries are empty I cannot test on the GP2x right now.

This screenshot looks really promising ;)

I am off to do some nicer menu buttons for the game. Daid, will you include my title screen in the new release ? :D would be cool hahaha

How about disabling the rotation of the windmill? I think it`s in the object definitions of the building, should be scripted. I will have a look at it, test it and report back.
Also I noticed, when I played a small gold mining level, that the game crashed after approximately 7 minutes. This happened again when I played around with the hazard pack. Maybe due to complexity? Float point math seems to be a problem with the game.

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 4 2006 at 10:30 PM said:
I am off to do some nicer menu buttons for the game. Daid, will you include my title screen in the new release ? :D would be cool hahaha
I will ;)

How about disabling the rotation of the windmill? I think it`s in the object definitions of the building, should be scripted. I will have a look at it, test it and report back.
Not needed, I optimized the rotation ALOT and it runs alot better now. (it contained alot of 'double' calculations, with sins and cosses, that I optimized to lookup tables and fixed point math. Optimized all cos/sin calculations to lookup tables while I was add it)

Also I noticed, when I played a small gold mining level, that the game crashed after approximately 7 minutes. This happened again when I played around with the hazard pack. Maybe due to complexity? Float point math seems to be a problem with the game.
I noticed the same. As the game keeps running in the windows version and it won't start with Valgrind on linux I'm kinda running out of options on how to find the problem <_<. And just to note out, game uses hardly any floating point math :D

EDIT: I think I've found the problem. It simply runs out of memory. Ok, I need upper 32 MB access... (EEK?)

Okay, just as I dug into the code and found all the sine and cosine crap, I decided to refresh the topic and noticed your post ^^. Good to hear that you worked it out already, I suck at coding and scripting anyways. Well, I guess I will do some graphics then. Also I remember that there was a lot of translation errors in the level descriptions and such. I will correct those if I find any. When can we expect a second release to keep us drooling? ;-)

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 4 2006 at 11:30 PM said:
Okay, just as I dug into the code and found all the sine and cosine crap, I decided to refresh the topic and noticed your post ^^. Good to hear that you worked it out already, I suck at coding and scripting anyways. Well, I guess I will do some graphics then.
Any help is appriciated :D

Also I remember that there was a lot of translation errors in the level descriptions and such. I will correct those if I find any.
I rather not mess up the default Clonk files. As they are... default :)

When can we expect a second release to keep us drooling? ;-)
When I solve these memory problems. I think I might also be able to improve the frontend with some c4f reading stuff.

Main pain at the moment is that rebuilding the project takes ~2 minutes.

Yeah, but the default clonk files aren`t a real problem. I am not going to play with scripts, only with sprites and descriptions which are plain .txt files anyway. Yeah that rebuild time sucks. But whatcha gonna do...

Warning, experimental
New, experimental engine, places all textures (about 8mb on load) in the upper memory.

This should allow alot larger/longer games to be played. But I haven't fully tested it yet.

Castle Dunkelfels still doesn't fully load, but it gets alot farther. Only 1 problem, at some point it tramples over the framebuffer memory, and thus the screen gets messed up for a sec (gets redrawn, but the sprites that where placed there will surely be messed up) It also tramples over the video player, but as it doesn't correctly quit yet that isn't much of a problem.

Other changes:
Code:
-Removed a SDL_Delay(10) somewhere, should speed things up.
-Won ALOT of speed by removing calls to cos/sin and replaceing those with lookup tables.
-Added 3 extra command line options: -NoSound -ColorAnimation -Smoke
-Added config menu (access with 'select')
-Fixed long texts display (so tutorials are playable)

Download the engine here: http://daid.mine.nu/pub/ClonkEngine
(note that I didn't add the MMU hack and thus it could be not that fast, but could be faster then the last release)

EDIT: Also managed to make the frontend read c4f files :) expect a new release soon.

I played a bit with the test release, somehow it still seems to crash pretty soon in-game. I would have said even earlier than before, but I'm not sure. Once it crashed short time after I checked the upper memory and it said there is just 8/32 of it used.
And isn't there an other way to manage these things? I've got no knowledge about anything deeper than C, but with the way you're doing it right now, it seems to always crash after a specific amount of time. Longer games can't get played if you won't clear the memory ever.

On the other side, this build seems to be faster, well done. The lava in one of the later training levels still seems to slow it down very much, maybe there are some floating point or cos/sin calculations as well.

I'm really looking forward to the next release,
Greetings, Dave.

After some testing done with the first version I noticed that it adds a few files to the NAND. You should change that ASAP!!! It puts out a clonk.log and some c4f file to the root. Maybe this can be easily placed into the SD directory. I believe, the logfile could be useful for debugging.

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 5 2006 at 03:05 PM said:
After some testing done with the first version I noticed that it adds a few files to the NAND. You should change that ASAP!!! It puts out a clonk.log and some c4f file to the root. Maybe this can be easily placed into the SD directory. I believe, the logfile could be useful for debugging.
It does? Shit, toughed I changed all the references to the 'home' dir.

I've updated the Engine link above, I think the NAND write should be solved now.

EDIT:
You could test running the engine like this:
./ClonkEngine -NoSound Daid.c4p Objects.c4d Test.c4s
(create a script, or trough telnet)

I'm doing that right now, and haven't had a crash yet...
EDIT2: Crash, but took alot longer... mmm, maybe I'm leaking memory somewhere.

FOUND it. It leaks memory, like hell.

Tiny drops of 1k memory, per framedraw.

Fixed it. Fixed alot now actualy. I'll pack it up for 0.2 soon, as quiting also works now, and the frontend is improved.

1k per frame... I love finding bugs like these, it's really motivating for the developer :)

Have you also been able to included the mmu hack? Since the kernel mod just would use around two or three lines of unix code in the run script I hope so. On the other side, there are developers like Franxis having a lot of problems with it..

OMFG, I can hardly await the next release of this... I am lurking the forum almost 17 hours a day since the port is out... if you want to know what an obsession is, feel free to take me as an example.

Almost done here. I added the MMU hack module (as it was easy to add and it seems to add some speed)

I managed to corrupt my player profile on the GP2x when I quited a game when my batteries where almost empty, yay for FAT32? :) Luckly I can also choose between Twonky and Joki now ;)

I just want the ability to enable/disable options in the frontend and then I'm ready for the 0.2 release.

Great! Can't wait to put it on my SD card! It's unlucky that it's 11PM here and I just have to go to bed because I have to wake up early tomorrow. Maybe I should wake up even earlier and check if the new release is ready ;)

Back