Closed Source Ports

'fischju2000' said:
The Wonderful End of the World is a great indie game, and is selling for $9.95, they might be open to a port. They "originally developed games for mobile devices, including the award-winning Bebop" - many for PPC or Palm

http://www.dejobaan.com/
http://www.dejobaan.com/wonderful/index.htm

If somebody convincing contacted them, good things may happen

Looks like a fun katamari style game. Even the music reminds me of katamari

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI .kkrieger is writen in c++ / and DX8 or 9 iirc

sadly (not from thier point of view) I think the devs were highered by big time studios ... not sure since there hasn't been any further work on it

The pandora probaby doesn't have enought ram to run it though... it will barly run on my sempron 1.8Ghz (probaby not the limiting factor) and nvidia geforce 2 w/ 64mb vram (probaby the limiting factor)
Requirements:
* A 1.5GHz pentium 3 / athlon or faster.
* 512MB of RAM.
* a GeForce4Ti (or higher) or ATI Radeon8500 (or higher) graphics card supporting pixel shaders 1.3, preferably with 128MB or more of VRAM.
* some kind of sound hardware.
* DirectX 9.0b.
The only reason it runs at all on my box is that Wine/X11 seems to be able to share ram and vram transparently except for the obvious lag it won't even complete loading on winXP

Interestig .theproduct page >> (http://www.theprodukkt.com/mobile)

'DasFool' said:
'fischju2000' said:
The Wonderful End of the World is a great indie game, and is selling for $9.95, they might be open to a port. They "originally developed games for mobile devices, including the award-winning Bebop" - many for PPC or Palm

http://www.dejobaan.com/
http://www.dejobaan.com/wonderful/index.htm

If somebody convincing contacted them, good things may happen

Looks like a fun katamari style game. Even the music reminds me of katamari

So do you think it's possible that they'd port this to the Pandora? because this is a pretty good game if you like Katamari. B)

PoisonedV said:
I think kkreiger is less likely to ever work because its probably coded very low level since ive always seen it assosciated with demoscene stuff
Heh... PoisonedV, here's a hint: You can't drive a GPU directly at that low a level. ;)

They're using DirectX or OpenGL with some very spiffy shaders. Shaders, I might add, that are mostly portable overall from either API... :D

'#1 GameMaster' said:
I wish that Ceville could be ported to the Pandora it's a very fun :D point-and-click game. Here's the address to it's home page...

http://www.ceville-game.com/en/index_en.html
System Requirements

o Operating system: Windows® XP & Vista
o Processor: CPU with 1,7GHz
o Memory: 512MB
o Hard disk space: 2GB
o Video: 3D Graphic Card with 256 MB Ram
o DirectX® Version: 9c

'Nightwheel' said:
.kkrieger
http://www.theprodukkt.com/kkrieger

Uses x86 assembly.

It would require a significant rewrite; it has to be ported away from DirectX, and minor amounts of x86 assembly need to be replaced with C or ARM assembly. Memory and CPU usage would also have to be further optimized.

'cb88' said:

The pandora probaby doesn't have enought ram to run it though... it will barly run on my sempron 1.8Ghz (probaby not the limiting factor) and nvidia geforce 2 w/ 64mb vram (probaby the limiting factor)
Requirements:
* 512MB of RAM.
* a GeForce4Ti (or higher) or ATI Radeon8500 (or higher) graphics card supporting pixel shaders 1.3, preferably with 128MB or more of VRAM.
* DirectX 9.0b.
The only reason it runs at all on my box is that Wine/X11 seems to be able to share ram and vram transparently except for the obvious lag it won't even complete loading on winXP

^
Not enough RAM on the Pandora. That's the biggest challenge, since it can't cache the textures or stream them off the SD card. It has to generate them and hold onto them.

'cb88' said:

sadly (not from thier point of view) I think the devs were highered by big time studios ... not sure since there hasn't been any further work on it

Requirements:
* 512MB of RAM.
* DirectX 9.0b.

Interestig .theproduct page >> (http://www.theprodukkt.com/mobile)
even if it could be done, enjoy a half hour of loading for the meh gameplay.

Craigix said that he had got a commericial game getting poted to pandora and iphone, this was a few weeks back, does anybody know what the game is?

'OrR' said:
While .kkrieger is a fucking awesome demo, it's just not worth the effort of porting it to Pandora and I'd also guess it's probably very impossible.
Yeah, because kkrieger renders all textures in realtime while loading it could took ages to load it up on pandora. Apart of that porting this is pretty impossible.

Hi,

What about playing Osmos on the Pandora ?
CODE
http://www.hemispheregames.com/osmos/

It's a really nice game, and it has won a prize at the last IGF :)

So I sent the author an email some days ago:

Subject: Osmos on Pandora ?
To: eddybox@hemispheregames.com
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:30:44 +0200

Hi,

I've just tried the Windows alpha demo of Osmos (under Wine 1.0.1 / Ubuntu 8.10 64 bits) and I like it a lot !

I'm glad to see you won a prize at the last IGF too :)

On a side note, I think your game would be great on the upcoming Pandora handheld console :)

I hope you'll consider a port of Osmos to this nice platform :)

Sincerely,

Sam

And here is the answer:

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the feedback!
Pandora looks great. I'll keep it in mind. I'd love to get my hands on one for starters. :)

Cheers,
Eddy

Sounds good to me :)
Bye, Magic Sam

Why, oh WHY haven't I seen this game before? It would be gold to have that on the pandora, especially if controlled by an analog nub :p
I would easily pay 20$ for something like that.

'Magic Sam' said:
Hi,

What about playing Osmos on the Pandora ?
CODE
http://www.hemispheregames.com/osmos/
Game looks pretty awesome, I'd pay for it if it came out on the Pandora!

Hi :)
'dflemstr' said:
Why, oh WHY haven't I seen this game before?
You should have a look at www.igf.com more often :) It's a great source of information for quality indie gaming.

It would be gold to have that on the pandora, especially if controlled by an analog nub :p

Touchscreen control should work fine too IMHO :)

'lippy' said:
+1 :)
I really believe the Pandora has the potential to become a serious target for indie games commercial releases.

Bye, Magic Sam

'Magic Sam' said:
Hi :)
'dflemstr' said:
Why, oh WHY haven't I seen this game before?
You should have a look at www.igf.com more often :) It's a great source of information for quality indie gaming.

It would be gold to have that on the pandora, especially if controlled by an analog nub :p

Touchscreen control should work fine too IMHO :)

'lippy' said:
+1 :)
I really believe the Pandora has the potential to become a serious target for indie games commercial releases.

Bye, Magic Sam

i think it would be good, too. now, nearly every middle class person in first world countries has a computer (in the us its somewhere its 70-80 percent and growing all the time) so, having a computer is pretty par for the course. but if you buy pandora, it means you're buying something a bit extravagant so i feel that a huge percentage of the pandora community would be buying indie games and much less piracy compared to the pc

'PoisonedV' said:
but if you buy pandora, it means you're buying something a bit extravagant so i feel that a huge percentage of the pandora community would be buying indie games and much less piracy compared to the pc
An independent platform running independent games makes a lot of sense, to me anyway :) Let's hope the Open Pandora team agrees and works in that direction...

I know it's been brought up before, but what about Morrowind for the OP? I know a guy was working on an open source engine for the game and it was going well..

'MrBlais' said:
I know it's been brought up before, but what about Morrowind for the OP? I know a guy was working on an open source engine for the game and it was going well..
OpenMW is being actively developed, but it's written in D and neither one of dmd, gdc and ldc can provide an up to date, stable, ARM compiler. Temporary issue, though.

'sindbad' said:
'MrBlais' said:
OpenMW is being actively developed, but it's written in D and neither one of dmd, gdc and ldc can provide an up to date, stable, ARM compiler. Temporary issue, though.
So you're saying that it's possible sometime in the future?

Back