Closed Source Ports

Hmm... I never quite knew what StreamMyGame was, 'Till I looked it up. so I'll never need to make infamously lame requests for ports of closed source games that will never happen. if it's what I have gathered, it means I can play any game installed on my PC on the Pando, if i'm correct. :p

Updated to include Runes of Avalon quote

Yes, streammygame could potentially allow you to play Crysis and any other PC game on Pandora. That is considering if your PC could run the game in the first place.

jakshep2 said:
Hmm... I never quite knew what StreamMyGame was, 'Till I looked it up. so I'll never need to make infamously lame requests for ports of closed source games that will never happen. if it's what I have gathered, it means I can play any game installed on my PC on the Pando, if i'm correct. :p
Yes, if your pc can play it. Which is kinda stupid considering that you could just play it on your pc then. Can someone please explain the practical use of streammygame is?

Last edited by a moderator:
sitting in the garden playing gta s:a while your desktop-computer is doing the hard stuff :) With an appropriate internet-connection (hdspa?) and enough money to let your pc run all day, you could play any game you like, everywhere.

conso said:
sitting in the garden playing gta s:a while your desktop-computer is doing the hard stuff :) With an appropriate internet-connection (hdspa?) and enough money to let your pc run all day, you could play any game you like, everywhere.
Sorry to get so offtopic but do you think 180KBPS will be able to have a playable result? Seems to be the average speed around these parts.

whiskthecat said:
conso said:
Sorry to get so offtopic but do you think 180KBPS will be able to have a playable result? Seems to be the average speed around these parts.

HDSPA on my university's campus is about 7 Mbit/s, well, I could even use wifi there and have about 10 Mbyte/s ;)

Thanks for the email. Realistically speaking it would be difficult to
justify development for a brand new platform that doesn't have a large
install-base of gamers. This isn't remotely an attack on the Pandora - it
looks like a good product and it's certainly powerful enough (from the
specifications) for running high-quality games.

But as an independent developer I need to be really careful as to which
platforms we develop on. We're self-funded, so that means we presently have
to look at platforms that have large existing install-bases of potential
customers versus future platforms.

I'm still very much hoping to finish Galaxy's End someday (a ridiculous
amount of work went into it), but it's likely if we do get the opportunity
to finish the game then Galaxy's End would still be for the PSP.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but I hope you understand. Have a
good week.

Sincerely,
Kevin McCann
President / Tiki Games, Inc.

A red reply, though understandable, of course.

Oh well, they did give me good news, though. I might one day see Galaxy's End released for my PSP. :)

Still Nothing from "Alawar - Dream Dale". But I know for a fact that they don't answer until a few days later. Because I have emailed Alawar in the past. And since Alawar now owns Alawar - Dream Dale. I expect a few days wait from them.

However, I a bit surprised that I haven't got a email back from the Audio Surf guys yet.

So I guess I'm still waiting.

whiskthecat said:
conso said:

Ha, I can hardly get the wifi chip on my UMPC to give out enough constant bandwidth to streammygame in my house at 640x480. HSDPA isn't very good either, but I only tested on a train.

Streammygame is ideal with a EeePC type device hooked up to your TV with a wireless keyboard/mouse controller or whatever. (Or someone with not-cr@p wifi chip)

will these closed source games then (once they are ported) be available for free or for money? How about the open source games?

selmiak said:
will these closed source games then (once they are ported) be available for free or for money? How about the open source games?
What you expect? If someone make a game that sell, and then port it for other platform (ie for Pandora), I expect that this port will be sell for profit too.

whiskthecat said:
jakshep2 said:
Yes, if your pc can play it. Which is kinda stupid considering that you could just play it on your pc then. Can someone please explain the practical use of streammygame is?

well, one use is that the unit that the game is being "streamed" to is not powerful enough to play it (like trying to play resident evil 4 or WoW on P&|a) so that is a use. another is that maybe it's a particularly nice day, and you might want to play some san andreas in the back garden, so you boot up streammygame and play it in the sun. there are hundreds of practical uses for this, but nobody seems to see what they are.

whiskthecat said:
remember, it doesn't stream the actual game itself (the models, etc) just the image from the source computer, so maybe it's fast enough.

Added the guys at tiki games.

I also finally got a response back from the guy who developed briad

I actually got an email from someone else about Pandora that I put on the list to think about later when I dig myself out of my email backlog. I am actually doing a Linux / OpenGL port of my engine for my next game, and it might not be too hard to backport that stuff to Braid.

Anyway I haven't thought about this too seriously yet but am open to the idea...

That looks like an orange for right now.

Also removed quote tags in the first post because of a limit on them... >.>
I also rearranged the games in alphabetical order.

Ok, I think I got an orange response from Jonathan Mak (the author of Everyday Shooter on the PSN). He's just not too keen on opening up the source (maybe he's under the impression that the SDK license is viral, I don't know?).

Thanks for checking out the game, and thanks for the info on Pandora. My game engines always compile on at least OS X, Linux, and Windows so if it resembles those platforms then maybe. The caveat is, for personal reasons, I'm not a big fan of releasing the source code to my work so since I don't have the handheld, I won't be able to compile the game on it.

Sadly, I also don't have much time to look around on how to setup a project to compile on different systems, so even a slight learning curve is too much for me. Even Linux is a bit of a headache for me as it seems there's a million variations of which stdlib to compile into it or (??? I just know that when I compile it on my Linux box, it might not run on someone else's Linux box) which the best way to solve it is by releasing the source code...

And honestly, I'm just really tied up with the new project.

but who knows!

-j

I think that in order to clarify what happens regarding the SDK and firmware to him, the Pandora developers themselves should be contacting him when the hardware is available to all. He just might be interested later on.
Either way, for now, he just doesn't have the time.

You need to let him know that just because Pandora runs linux doesn't mean it has all these incompatibility because their only is 1 hardware architecture. If he sets up a cross compiler for Pandora, and rewrites his code to be Pandora compliant, a re-compile will work on all Pandora's.

Soulkiller said:
You need to let him know that just because Pandora runs linux doesn't mean it has all these incompatibility because their only is 1 hardware architecture. If he sets up a cross compiler for Pandora, and rewrites his code to be Pandora compliant, a re-compile will work on all Pandora's.
Yes, just sent him another reply. His main issue seems to be lack of time for learning how to work with it though.

Back