Closest Pandora Competitor

Kangal said:
I think the people posting in this thread imagined the E7 should be like this:

Please don't be so arrogant as to speak for the entire rest of the thread. The thing that drew me, and perhaps a lot of others, was a DPAD and a QWERTY keyboard.

Neither of which you design has! I couldn't bring upon myself the SHAME of having a large phone without the justification of a QWERTY keypad!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
Kangal said:
I think the people posting in this thread imagined the E7 should be like this:

Please don't be so arrogant as to speak for the entire rest of the thread. The thing that drew me, and perhaps a lot of others, was a DPAD and a QWERTY keyboard.

Neither of which you design has! I couldn't bring upon myself the SHAME of having a large phone without the justification of a QWERTY keypad!

Umm, perhaps you didn't understand ... i was being sarcastic!
That's just a muck-up design!

So no, I'm not arrogant and no single person can represent everyone in a council

But just want to add to that, I don't like the look of that keyboard, it seems fairly small.
I got a Blackberry for 08 Xmas, I had to get rid of it. Phone was okay, just that I have large hands and my massive thumbs have difficulty typing.

How about this keyboard layout I designed? (please be honest)
Style A: Standard

3design.png

Style B: notice the top row is no longer bound to the rest; so d-pad, nubs can be placed between ... Pandora Style! (just love saying that ... Pandora Style!)

3designp.png

It is based on a slide phone/device (like N900) which is 130x76mm
+ The screen is 5.83" (128x72mm)
+ The underslide area is 130x48mm
+ This was the sizes I chose, but can be scaled down to desire
+ The keyboard is designed to be as functional as the TouchPro2 (number keys!) but as easy to type as the Xperia X2 (4 rows!)
+ The keyboard is fairly representative of a full-sized keyboard (eg -, +, ? keys and layout)

Attachments

• 3design.png
    3design.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 3designp.png
    3designp.png
    186.5 KB · Views: 77
SirisC said:
DualTrackPoint.jpg

On something that compact wouldn't the laptop nub mouse work better as a joystick?
I think you might be underestimating the actual size of those nubs. They have a pillar connected to a flex measuring board; we only see the tip during use. The smallest I've seen is in a modern ThinkPad keyboard, a base about 14mm square, and reinforced with 10 screws (4 within that footprint).
trackpoint.jpg

Attachments

• DualTrackPoint.jpg
    DualTrackPoint.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 88
  • trackpoint.jpg
    trackpoint.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 77
Prometheus said:
Poor eraser-mouse. :(

P1020304.jpg

Oh no, you've triggered my bizarre weakness, sentimentality towards inanimate objects :C

Compounded when they resemble animate ones :C

Attachments

• P1020304.jpg
    P1020304.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 77
I feel I need to defend the sliding design. For just a gaming handheld or UMPC, clamshell is fine and does give you that extra security. However, if used it as a mobile phone, clamshell design is pretty bad.

Sliding design benefits:

+ better for watching video (Even when placing on surfaces N900 with kickstand is great)
+ always in useful orientation (no opening hinge to access screen)
+ comfortable one hand operation
+ more comfortable tablet operation
+ only access hardware controls when necessary

- If it's a plastic screen, very prone to scratches
- Less durable

Again, not knocking Clamshell. I think Clamshell is perfect for the Pandora, but if the Pandora had a cellular radio; including Sliding design would be more appropriate (IMO).

@Exophase

I do agree that switching the nubs with QWERTY would hurt them more than help them. Also, the hardware keyboard control is good for AGI games, so it's not a total bust.

Phawx said:
Sliding design benefits:
+ better for watching video (Even when placing on surfaces N900 with kickstand is great)
+ always in useful orientation (no opening hinge to access screen)
+ comfortable one hand operation
+ more comfortable tablet operation
+ only access hardware controls when necessary

- If it's a plastic screen, very prone to scratches
- Less durable

Again, not knocking Clamshell.

Agreed.
Clamshell= high durable + medium functionality
Slide= medium durable + high functionality
Its a trade-off, "best design" depends on the user (clumsy? want more func's?)

Atom part doesn't bother me too much. No gaming controls a but sad. Price is very good. As is often the case with Engadget, no links to the manufacturer's website or where to actually get hold of one.

If I can't run a torrent app and download files to an USB & Network HDD, then is not a competitor. (I can do that with Pandora, right!?)

hosant said:
If I can't run a torrent app and download files to an USB & Network HDD, then is not a competitor. (I can do that with Pandora, right!?)
Yes.

Back