Clrmamepro Question For Newbie

timallen82

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Ok, I'm loving the GP2X and MAME comes out and I'm loving it even more. However, I am a total newbie when it comes to "rebuilding" rom sets, etc. I mean, the last time I was into MAME, it was version .31.

Anyway, I have followed the directions found in the CMP read me as well as very helpful threads found here. I have been able to successfully "rebuild" a lot of newer roms to work with the .34 version of the GP2X Mame. I even downloaded all the "sets", such as all the versions of Galaga, et al. When running a scan or after the "rebuild", I still get a lot of red "X"s stating that I am missing some roms or rom sets in games that I tried to rebuild. I compare what's in the final zip file with the files listed in the compatible list found here (about 1mb file-it's not the gamelist that comes with the emu). After comparing, I see the names of the missing files. When I go to launch a game on my GP2X unit and the game won't load, it lists some files. Are those the ones it's looking for? How can I get everything in order? I'm only downloading games listed on the compatability list. Games like Frogger, Galaga, Galaxian won't work. They seem to be missing a couple or more files.

Sorry for the long post, but I am excited, yet frusrated that I am not keen on the scene, so to speak...

Thanks for any help!! :)

AFAIK, the newer rom sets use different rom dumps from 0.34 -- in other words, you won't be able to rebuild a complete 0.34 set using a full 0.102 set. I think someone posted that the 0.57 set converts fine.

If you're getting individual roms from a website, they're likely using whatever the current set is. I can't be much more helpful than that, seeing as posting links to possibly illegal content, such as roms, is (understandably) not allowed here.

So the set i made rebuilding my 0.9 something set won't work? I thought clrmamepro checked each file and whatnot...

Hmm...can't wait to test this out when i get my gp2x today or saturday...

I had to use a combination of 0.101, 0.33 and 0.36 sets, and even then I had to grab a good dozen or so roms it was missing, luckily I keep periodic backups of different versions of MAME I've used (I found backups for 0.33, 0.78 and 0.8something)

Well, finding an older rom set seems to be the trouble and since I can't ask where to find roms, new or otherwise, perhaps someone will PM me with some advice on how to make things happen.

I did manage to build my own rom set by taking files from two different zip files and then combining them into one zip, but not only is that time consuming, not all the rom files are available in the zips I have.

Anyway, I'm loving the games that I do have, I just wish I could get more to work!

Thanks for the help!

Anymore advice is appreciated!

;)

CLRMAMEPRO will do all the dirty work for you, find the proper rom after you point it to the directory where they are located, and then zip them up and everything. It does take a bit of work to get it working right but there are guides out there for it.

Back