Codeless Game Creation

RockOut

Website
www.godsofallmedia.com
Hi,

I was wondering if any one is even close to coming up with some software for the GP32 so you can create a game with out learning C. I was just wondering because at the moment I don't want to waste some time trying to learn C, but I want to create a cool game for the GP32. I don't want to act like someone who doesn't want to do any work, I am just interested in avoiding some of the pain that there is in creating a gp32 game from scratch.

Thanks gp32_console

I had planned on doing something like that awhile back, but I decided on a different project instead.

I believe there is a BASIC compiler or something for the GP32...

There is a BASIC compiler for GBA. I think its called DragonBASIC. Not sure if it would work on the GP32 but the processors are very similar so maybe it could be of some use. If it doesnt work directly on GP32 remember that there is a GBA emu for GP32 on the way so it might run on that.

In fact DragonBASIC has nothing to do with Basic as it's a mixture of BASIC and C elements... but to the main question:

I understand that you don't want to waste time learning a coding language, but where is the difference to learn a langauge or to learn how to use a tool or script language. Just get the time and learn C. You'll have much more power with your own lines than with a restricted game creation tool. You have to spend time on both, so it's surly better to learn a solid language which you can use on many other systems with smaller modifications as well. (ANSI C)

I know Visual Basic, Pascal and HTML and I tried C and I suck at it... Gotta learn Java atm for a college project (which is about 2 months late).

There is an RPG maker in production which looks promising though and as I got my GP32 mainly for RPGs then im happy :)

Look at VNS, the virtual novel system for novel style games.

look at zot! for gauntlet style games.
http://www.codejedi.com/zot/
You can definitely do rpgs in zot sooner or later and it is actively developed.

Both are controlled by scripts, zot even has a windows part, so you write
your script on windows, do all the graphics and test it on windows also.
Soon skeezix will release the gp32 version and then your game will run
without modification on all gp32's

without wanting to sound like a blatant plug ;)

i'll release the next version of Gigas Engine in a day or two - and it has the editor in so you can begin making games, its designed for RPGs, but as combat is real-time you can make hack and slash games too, and you dont need to learn coding or scripting to use it.

ZoT sounds promising also, so keep an eye on both :D

geo12 posted on Apr 27 2004 at 05:27 PM said:
So the only languages that can be used on a gp32 are C and C++?
so far, it's pretty tough to learn (having trouble right now)
What are you using to learn it (What book/online guide)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pirotic posted on Apr 27 2004 at 09:58 PM said:
without wanting to sound like a blatant plug ;)

i'll release the next version of Gigas Engine in a day or two - and it has the editor in so you can begin making games, its designed for RPGs, but as combat is real-time you can make hack and slash games too, and you dont need to learn coding or scripting to use it.

ZoT sounds promising also, so keep an eye on both :D
Thats cool I'd want to make my own rpg or a hack and slash :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to make good games i guess you have to put in the effort to learn programming.

You can use BOR engine to make nice "Streets of Rage" clones. Also i think you can use KOF'91 to make some type of SF2 clone.

Byes!

Back