Coders: Which console font do you use?

patrick295767

Hi, 

This thread is destined to coders that use the console (no x11). 

For vim, I have found out that the TERMINUS font with the higher option: 32x16 is pretty nice. 

I may advice you this one.

If you wish to change it with a setup: dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

If you are using other cool ones, please do not hesitate.

Kind regards

--

VIM is the best !! :)

I don't use the console, I use a maximized or full-screen Terminal with the menu bar, tool bar and scroll bar turned off. This looks basically just like the console, except that you can easily switch to x11 stuff and you can open as many tabs as you want. I use the font "DejaVu Sans Mono Book" at size 10. That's quite small, but I'm near-sighted and I want to fit enough text. With multiple tabs opened, it fits 26x100 characters, with only 1 tab it's 28x100. So that's slightly better than the usual 25x80.

I dont use the linux console that much - except on my 486 which I use just a few times a year or so for lulz. But on my KDE4 machine I have XFCE Terminal with Terminus font (I dont recall the pixel size now since @work). On my KDE3 machine i have the KDE terminal with green on black and maybe terminus (but not sure now). On my pandora I have the Terminal with Terminus Bold 13 and green on black.

And back on topic, on the 486 laptop I do have terminus 8x6 font (width=6) hacked into a 8x8 font for the system because the framebuffer driver (VGA16 IIRC) on linux-2.4 didnt like width=6 fonts - IIRC....

I just use the system default..

Just annoy a friend in graphic design, I set all my programming IDEs to Comic Sans.

Anyone here geek using full console desktop ? 

;)  

There are many things you can make use of ... check this : 

There are many ways to use the console... 

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12105-ncurses-personal-information-manager-pim-for-pandora/

I dont know or understand why not to use the console only. It is so much faster ... and much more efficient and also user-friendly. 

For example, for web crawling or surfing, you can use the console. Elinks and lynx, canto, ... are nice for web / rss / ...  

Last edited by a moderator:
Back