Collaborative Emulator Compatibility Lists

I have not touched the Drastic list, nor have i any intention to. It makes alot of sense from what ive seen, allthough i dont think its good to have the old versions in a sperate one since it makes it harder to spot regressions.

Btw, a collaborative massive compability list is super duper good. Maybe it could have all the roms already there. I can see alot of functions, but i dont know how many of them you can implement on a wiki though.

games, date of entry, version of emulator, version of game/rom. etc etc

A massive usermaintained wiki is good. Emulators that can make automatic posts is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably the idea is to have emulators that automatically add an entry for the game once it's been played. Though that would also require the emulator to have some way of knowing whether the game's running fine, and some way to logging a crash.

FWIW, seems to me the wiki lists are basically fine, but editing them is a bit suboptimal, and having them all in a consistently good format would obviously be good. Going google docs probably isn't the way forward it seems, but some way to have a simple database that gets easily written up to wiki format might be useful. It would at least stop us having to try to remember the colour codes, and remember which field has which data, and get all the syntax just right.

I was initially thinking that you could pause the game, write a little review, have most of the data filled out, emulator, version, date, maybe game (or select it from a list) who you are (optional) save it, and continue to play said game.

That lowers the bar on contributing considerably.

Could offer up some more lists on the games emulators I have...but would want to keep the same format as the other pages.

Does someone want to set up pages for other emu's?

Atari 2600

Atari 7800

Coleco

Amiga

Commodore

Atari Lynx

Neo Geo

FBA

MAME4All

PanMAME

MAME-EX

GBA

Sega Genesis (Picodrive)

PCEngine (Temper and Hugo)

GBC

GB

NES

SNES

Intellivision

NeoGeo Pocket

SEGA Game Gear

There are most of the emu's I have that currently do not have lists.

I could populate those lists with the games I have that work.

Would it make more sense to write those lists so as to focus on any games that don't work, since a lot of those emulators are very polished, and the list of buggy games would be much shorter. Maybe still list the working games for completion's sake, but perhaps just list the title rather than requiring ROM size and all the other details that take time to gather.

Would it make more sense to write those lists so as to focus on any games that don't work, since a lot of those emulators are very polished, and the list of buggy games would be much shorter. Maybe still list the working games for completion's sake, but perhaps just list the title rather than requiring ROM size and all the other details that take time to gather.
Yep, I asked if we could create a "noncompatibility-list" some time ago, because of the issues with some gba-games, that only show later in the game, what can be very frustrating.

Well, nobody wanted it.

Well, I like compatibility lists...even for polished Emu's...because I can scan those lists, and maybe find out about games I did not know about.  say....hey, that game sounds interesting, let's see what I can find out about it...ya know?

Try making a hidden element/table/image/text on the wiki, it didnt work no matter how many different things i tried. Would love to be proven wrong because i have great use for it. Main wikipedia has a wysiwy-editor, so i guess that would lower the bar on initial contributions.

Right, I've knocked up an index page to link together all the compatibility lists together on the wiki. Partially at least this was to stop the DraStic list being an orphaned page, though of course since nothing links to this list next it just makes it an orphaned group of two, but I took the opportunity also to include a list of platforms based on Kumaki's list (thanks for that) and merged in the existing emulator lists as best I can find.

Hopefully this can provide a basis for further lists to be created and linked in, or even further google docs - the UAE4ALL and PCSXReARMed lists seem to only exist in google docs format, so I've linked those in too. Of course, if you collectively think I'm just cluttering up the wiki with this stuff, feel free to knock it on the head and wipe it out.

Curiously, I can see the UAE4All google docs file, using the link from its wiki page that begins '.../spreadsheet/pub' whereas links that start '.../ccc' seem to require a google login. I don't know what the difference between these two forms is, but it would be good if we could get the remaining google docs links converted to that format.

It looks like someone with a google login may have more luck than me in getting that to work. I've just tried copying the key id from one form of URL to the other, but it still asks me to login. I could do with working links for the following:

PPSSPP: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al3Gk4Nf-48EdEk5VmNaeU5rMHpBM3BEV0ZSQVlyb2c&usp=sharing

PCSX ReARMed: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArSWWAWRjErldHZVZlFxY0tBVnRRNXM5U3ZqWFNuN0E&hl=en#gid=0

Thanks!

Yes, I certainly wouldn't object to that. Getting the number of square brackets and adding alt text just right seems to be almost entirely undocumented, and something I only ever get right via trial and error. Then, having all the extra features and plugins an up-to-date mediawiki installation has would be an extra boon.

I'd guess an update might break some of my hand crufted links and footnotes, but I don't mind the little work to fix them if the fix makes sense.

Try making a hidden element/table/image/text on the wiki, it didnt work no matter how many different things i tried. Would love to be proven wrong because i have great use for it. Main wikipedia has a wysiwy-editor, so i guess that would lower the bar on initial contributions.
 Do you know if there's a way to have at least a default sort order for the entries ? (Indipendent from the "physical" order them are placed in the wiki, like when you click on a column title)

EDIT: seems like there's no way...

When users are first presented with a table, the rows will always appear in the same order as in the wikitext. If you want a table to appear sorted by a certain column, you must sort the wikitext itself in that order. This is usually done for the first column.

Back