Commander Keen

2. Yes there is a GBC which can be played on an emulator, but it shouldn’t be because its terrible and the only reason why it was developed was out of revenge (long story).

Ok, my interest is piqued, I gotta hear the rest of this story now.

Basically everything you need to know is right here as well as small bits of information on 'The Universe is Toast'

Tobriand posted on May 30 2004 at 10:00 PM said:
Rigor Mortis posted on May 30 2004 at 07:46 PM said:
Siajj posted on May 30 2004 at 12:39 PM said:
6. In quake 2 keen can be seen to be hanging from a noose, this was said to be ID’s last association with the character
In that case, some fans should just go ahead and make a (SDL?) Keen7 game, calling it "The Universe is Toast".

If ID got pissed, we could just remind them that they themselves had indicated they were no longer associated with the character.
Go for it; it'd be a very nice achievement. Especially if it were made able to take level modules. I'm sure there's enough interest; I can't believe noe, tbh... the games were *popular*
I'd do it myself except my programming knowledge is not up to par. I could write the game in VB6, but it wouldn't be portable or as high quality as a better programmer's work.

So I'll just hope some motivated programmer reads this thread and decides to do it, at which point I can volunteer to help out in the way of music.

So, any of you programmers interested? The world would love you for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the ones interested in the project, I found a webpage with the keen file specs:
http://www.durdin.net/andy/keen/Gavare/

Dunno if can be helpful to someone.. Personally I'd like to see it running too, but I'm working on the GP32iDE new version and on a new app for the gp32... I've also put apart (for the moment) a port of one of my favourite amiga games, so right now I can't spend the few mins I got each day on another project :(

Hope the infos above will encourage someone else to work on the prot ;)

Later,
Alessandro

For anyone considering trying to plug Keen into a platform engine they might have sitting around doing nothing...

http://www.panelmonkey.org/sprite.php?id=151&theme=1 Map Sprites
http://www.panelmonkey.org/sprite.php?id=152&theme=1 Keen 4 enemies and CK :)
http://www.panelmonkey.org/sprite.php?id=153&theme=1 Keen 5 enemies and CK
http://www.panelmonkey.org/sprite.php?id=388&theme=1 Keen 6 likewise.

And for those who prefered the older gfx...
http://www.panelmonkey.org/sprite.php?id=387&theme=1 everything from Keens 1-3.

Though I've yet to find any backgrounds... Having a bit of a look though. It could be that anyone who actually wants to get backgrounds will have to use the tileset bug to get them - if they can even remember how to pull that one off. I think you had to, in 1-3, enter "GOD" mode, then pogo, go to the top-right corner of the level, and keep bashing into the edge, and in some levels you'd get through, resulting in your arriving in a place where there were a lot of tiles and nothing else (and also much in the way of bottomless pits - so be careful). Then Pause and take a screenshot, and you might be able to build the background of a level, with any luck :)

Well anyone could make commander keen very easily :)

ZOT has everything you need for commander keen.

I have to many projects on but if someone got a group together i can get a demo map and 1 level done and then the other coders can make the other maps then combine them with the code i had

It would really be simple :) take 1 hour or more to make a map and 1 level working.

hell i could make it in 25 30mins using the standard grpahics then u just have to add the keen graphics.

But i have hardly anytime so if u guys can get a bunch of people to rip the graphics and get them in the format needed for zot and also get 1 or 2 guys to make a few maps your game would be done :)

:ph34r:

Woah I never knew ZOT could do so much! Where is there documentation on making side-scrollers with ZOT? I would love to make my own Mario styled game! Does it support animated backgrounds?

Enslaved posted on Jul 1 2004 at 05:05 PM said:
Woah I never knew ZOT could do so much! Where is there documentation on making side-scrollers with ZOT? I would love to make my own Mario styled game! Does it support animated backgrounds?
Check out ZOT's Website :)

there is a demo platformer for ZOt when u download it so u can easily adapt it :)

It doesn't have animated backgrounds but u can set the eyes for the trees to blink if u had it as a sprite :)

It is perfectly easy to make 80% of a Keen game.

The little console on the bottom of the screen isnt possible for now but should be in the new versions of zot :)

I have a small zot game call ZOTbies/Zombies and i have 200 enemy sprites running around and the gp32 doesn't slow down 1 bit :) no music is implamented yet but it will be soon :)

Can you make a quasi-3d Keen game in Zot (like Keen 4-6) or are you stuck with original trilogy-esque graphics?

Rigor Mortis posted on Jul 3 2004 at 03:22 AM said:
Can you make a quasi-3d Keen game in Zot (like Keen 4-6) or are you stuck with original trilogy-esque graphics?
I’m not sure what you mean??

I’ve only ever played Goodbye Galaxy and that’s the type of game Zot can make.

Not sure if that is the old or newer style but that’s what could be made so easily :)

NiN^_^NiN posted on Jul 5 2004 at 02:33 AM said:
Rigor Mortis posted on Jul 3 2004 at 03:22 AM said:
I’m not sure what you mean??

I’ve only ever played Goodbye Galaxy and that’s the type of game Zot can make.

Not sure if that is the old or newer style but that’s what could be made so easily :)
Another way to put it is as so - Does it have a sense of depth like Keen 4-6 (good) or does it look flat like Keen 1-3 (bad)?

If one was to make a unofficial Keen 7 one would not want to regress in graphics quality from the latest game in the series.

However, a port/clone of any game from the series would be awesome - I'm just saying that if fans took it upon themselves to create the promised by never-delivered Keen 7, it should look better than the original games.

Oh keen 5 is what could be done the depth of the game could easily be made :)

altho i think even better graphics would be better :p

But yes its all there in ZOT ready to be made by why bother if the KeenC can be made?

sure you could play the game on gp32 windows mac and any palmOS platform but it take quite a bit of work you would need someone willing to do it thats the problem also u need a person who know's ZOT (its not hard hard at all to learn)

but is it really worth it? i mean the KEENc has a mapeditor so u can make your keen 7 and keenC can be ported to all platforms.

The other thing awkward on ZOT (I dunno; not learned it yet) might be the fact that there's ideally supposed to be a world map between levels. Though I suppose it'd probably end up fairly simple - i.e. just have a variable that stored a number representing the level, and then position Keen accordingly on loading the map. I really should take a look at that proggy...

Well with ZOT you would have 1 main map and have the enterence of each level set to transfere u to a new map which could be a seperate TXT file to make it simpler to work on :)

you can have the topdown look for the map then the side scroller for the levels :)

Zot is quite flexiable some things are missing for some game u might want to make but its best to make them now then add that stuff later :)

Back