Commercial Indie Games On The Gpx2

reallynotnick posted on Sep 3 2005 at 10:42 AM said:
Hey thanks for the info on Cave Story, I was just playing it and it ROCKS! Just like metriod, I think someone should port it to the gp2x.

Indeed! I'd like that to happen too as I've only gotten 2 endings so far (I think there's 5 endings in all). The the Japanese creator, Pixel, is a hobbist programer as well as a professional but not in the game industry. He also has no plans to do another game anytime soon as he dosent have enough free time, but the fact that there's a Mac version and PC version suggests to me that he'd allow ports to be made if he were asked nicly enough (assuming he didn't make both himself.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. posted on Sep 3 2005 at 06:45 PM said:
Talented and dedicated programmers/designers should be properly rewarded, no arguing here.

My only question is, if you have a commercial downloadable game, what would stop people from just file-sharing it with other GP owners?
There is always the copy protection option but those can and will be cracked and it is annoying for the end user. The thing that stops most people from stealing games is ethics. If there is no tolerance for piracy in the community then it is unlikely to have a big impact on sales. Everyone has to understand that they need to support the developers of a game they like with money or the developers won't make another game. Most people do understand this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunatly There'll always be at least little piracy and "a little piracy" goes a long way for small developers. Some game trading that wouldnt effect a company like nintendo could leave a small dev with just enough money to buy a bag of Doritos.

I'd love to rely on common human ethics but that's a scary tightrope to walk.

I think in a small, tight nit (and proud) community like the gp32 (and the gp2x will be), most people are pretty good about piracy. I mean, if they decide that the game is good enough to pay money for and is a commercial title, they are willing to pay for it rather than pirate it.

of course, ROMs and such are a different story :)

I don't like DRM. It just messes around real customers. There is always a way around it anyway.

Much better to just release the game, charge for it, and leave it up to the scene to ensure it doesn't get hosted. Or some sort of serial system might work.

I know this is an old topic.

But i wanna see Blood Cross completed. Would i tbe a higher chance for GPX2 or XGP?

Wow really grave digging here. How would you even find this fossil of a thread :blink:

fossil.jpg

Back