Community-contributed Advertisement

I like reading these threads and it worked well for the GP2X adverts.

We spent around $55,000 in UK advertising for the GP2X in the first 2 years of the device.

However at first I suspect the only problem we will have is actually making enough units to meet the demand, 100 for devs then that 3000 will sell out very fast worldwide.

Still the more publicity the better I guess :)

atomicthumbs said:
If I could get a 3D model, I'd make a video.
You don't listen do you? It's too early, don't, by all means. It's like the mistake of posting about the Pandora on Engadget last month, that was retarded.

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
atomicthumbs said:
If I could get a 3D model, I'd make a video.
You don't listen do you? It's too early, don't, by all means. It's like the mistake of posting about the Pandora on Engadget last month, that was retarded.

It would be a concept animation.
emot-rolleye.png

craigix said:

We spent around $55,000 in UK advertising for the GP2X in the first 2 years of the device.

However at first I suspect the only problem we will have is actually making enough units to meet the demand, 100 for devs then that 3000 will sell out very fast worldwide.

Still the more publicity the better I guess :)
I think the best advertising will be good reviews. It will sell itself.

For selling the first 3000 I think the GP2X community should have the first choice. Maybe in chronological order ( registered/joined date).

b_o_b said:
For selling the first 3000 I think the GP2X community should have the first choice. Maybe in chronological order ( registered/joined date).
Us early adopters can only hope ;)

Really though, 3k units is actually quite a lot. I have no doubt they will all sell, but certainly not on the 1st day of pre-orders. Probably not even in the 1st month. That is all just as well. Just because you order 3k units from a factory doesn't mean a giant crate shows up the next day with 3k boxes inside. They'll probably ship to the distributors in lots of 50-100, as they come off the assembly line. I could be wrong, but I suspect that it will be much easier to get a Pandora than it is to get a Wii.

As for advertising, I would not suggest making too big a deal out of it. You may think Pandora is the greatest thing since sliced bread (I would agree), but at the end of the day it is a hobbyist's device. You can't just buy a cartridge, stick it in, and play. The sort of people who will really be excited about Pandora will find it on their own. The sort who have to be convinced with fancy marketing will be disappointed that it requires a modicum of computer skill and effort to get anything out of it.

Videos on Youtube (without an actual device to take video of) will be ignored. Pasting posters up around your town will probably get you a ticket for vandalism. Anything more than a few banner ads on retro gaming, emulation, and indy gaming websites is probably a waste of time and money.

I had a quick crack at a poster...

pandoraposterav6.png

astro said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBd52jkw1Dk :eek:

Just a tip for a "Showcase" film, We used this trick for our video yearbook. Keep the camera in a tripod stationary straight above the GP2x and put the GP2x on a board or a sheet over a board and move that. Makes it less shakier and alot more "Pro".

Linkous said:
Nova said:
I had a quick crack at a poster...

its cool looking, good for building prestigue, just has some false advertising. we're not trying to sell it as a laptop.

You've obviously not read Craig's official flyer for the device... ;)

Marketing pandora as a laptop is pretty absurd... maybe I shouldn't be anxious for this flyer to arrive since it sounds like it makes some fairly ridiculous marketing claims. Especially if it doesn't provide any greater technical detail than can be gleaned from OMAP3 tech docs and the existing posts by MWeston....

astro said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBd52jkw1Dk :eek:

Honestly, that song is terrible, that song is so overused and retarded, I hate anyone that even has it detected as a rewritable sector on their hard drive. The camera was of low quality and used in a dark room, both very bad factors (anyone who owns a +$500 camera should already know that you need proper lighting). High quality advertising is no longer restricted to the super corporations. Anyone with a little desire and time to think about the product can produce an attractive ad. Honestly, have you seen the crap that they have been pushing on people lately? Half the products they advertise, I absolutely refuse to purchase just because their ads suck so hard (Washington Mutual, McDonalds, Windys, AppleBee's, Best Buy, etc).

Anyways, it's much too early to be advertising. I also agree with A_SN, we should be attempting to show what this device will be able to do, instead of making sexual jokes and retarded comparisons between fanboys. Unlike the mega corporations, who commonly can't even muster up enough bullcrap to even claim that their products are mildly interesting or feature-rich.

Chip said:
As for advertising, I would not suggest making too big a deal out of it. You may think Pandora is the greatest thing since sliced bread (I would agree), but at the end of the day it is a hobbyist's device. You can't just buy a cartridge, stick it in, and play. The sort of people who will really be excited about Pandora will find it on their own. The sort who have to be convinced with fancy marketing will be disappointed that it requires a modicum of computer skill and effort to get anything out of it.

Videos on Youtube (without an actual device to take video of) will be ignored. Pasting posters up around your town will probably get you a ticket for vandalism. Anything more than a few banner ads on retro gaming, emulation, and indy gaming websites is probably a waste of time and money.
Bravo bravo. This is exactly correct and you took some words right out of my mouth.... terrible homemade ads, crappy videos of 3d renders and advertisement to tech sites like digg/engadget for a nonexistant device is ridiculous and makes this look like a fantasy device dreamed up by some 13 year old kid on geocities.... Hell engadget/digg picked up the story on that awful disappointment the F200 without anyone pitching it to them like crazy. There's already going to be people buying it and there's already people to develop for it. And a half retarded chimpanzee could port an enormous # of apps to it in an afternoon just like the gp2x. So drop this idiocy and let the producers of a PRODUCT FOR SALE advertise and spend your own time on better things...

craigix said:
He could use our ideas for his stuff! Why didn't I think of that before? :p

atomicthumbs said:
It would be a concept animation.
emot-rolleye.png
Good idea. If you do make the video, though, plaster "Draft" or "Work-In-Progress" across the screen so that people don't try and post it for any serious advertisement. :)

Chip said:
You probably have a point, but it's worth a shot. It's not like we can lose anything as long as the advertisements themselves aren't bad.

"Pandora: the only chick that will spread open for you in your lifetime" :D

"Pandora: open a box of woop ass on the competition"

"Pandora: not just a box of tricks"

"Pandora: teh mobil pr0n box"

But for a serious slogan
"Pandora: Open a box of pontential"

Excuse any spelling errors for some reason firefox spell check doesn't want to work on this forum

liquidphantom said:
But for a serious slogan
Not very unique IMHO.... kinda cheesy :p

pandora said:
liquidphantom said:
But for a serious slogan
Not very unique IMHO.... kinda cheesy :p

That's 1 letter away from being "Pandora: Open a box of poontential"! :p