Companies That Make Custom Molds For Electronics

Cervante

PS3 ID: Cervante1
Website
Visit site
:huh: Anyone knows where or whom I can contact that make custom molds for electronics? I want to change my GP2X from black to white with white custom buttons & joystiq or something similar to the unreleased white version of the GP2X.

white-gp2x.jpg

That will probably cost an ARM and a leg. Sorry...bad pun.

I remember a few people posted that they wanted to get custom shells made for the developer's BOB since the commercial BOB is unreleased. They did not go forward because it was way too expensive.

Just a thought...

linoleum13 posted on Feb 7 2007 at 08:41 PM said:
That will probably cost an ARM and a leg. Sorry...bad pun.

I remember a few people posted that they wanted to get custom shells made for the developer's BOB since the commercial BOB is unreleased. They did not go forward because it was way too expensive.

Just a thought...

estimate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just paint it. Ask digitalclassicgamingmaster, i think he painted a few gp32's, not sure though.

Why not make your own?

It should be fairly simple to press your GP2X into some elastomer... either polymer clay or silly putty.

Then just slice off the clay, reassemble, and make a plug. Then you can make all the molds you want, and just get some methyl-methacrylate resin and make a nice hard plastic case.

That's what i'm going to do when I have scads of free time in a week or two.

LED's inside and all.

Maybe i'll use this styrene resin for fiberglass instead of the methacrylate. That'll give me a brownish color, or epoxy resin would be clear-ish and I just add some food dye. Oil based dyes work well with polymers, given their non-water-soluble nature.

White, however... would require a white plastic material. Why not just take your existing case apart and spray it?

Rion posted on Feb 8 2007 at 05:49 AM said:
Why not make your own?

It should be fairly simple to press your GP2X into some elastomer... either polymer clay or silly putty.

Then just slice off the clay, reassemble, and make a plug. Then you can make all the molds you want, and just get some methyl-methacrylate resin and make a nice hard plastic case.

That's what i'm going to do when I have scads of free time in a week or two.

LED's inside and all.

Maybe i'll use this styrene resin for fiberglass instead of the methacrylate. That'll give me a brownish color, or epoxy resin would be clear-ish and I just add some food dye. Oil based dyes work well with polymers, given their non-water-soluble nature.

White, however... would require a white plastic material. Why not just take your existing case apart and spray it?

I personally wouldn't use polymer clay as it has a tendancy to melt certain plastics and so could ruin the original case. A better material for making the mold would be silicon rubber. All of these option are potentialy quite expensive though and there is no guarantee that the result would be good enough, it would be quite hard just getting an even layer of resin on the inside of the mold.
I personally don't think painting is a good option as no matter how well you protect it it always ends up getting chipped and would just look a complete mess.
Maybe a budding entrepreneur will see a money making oppurtunity and have the cases professionaly made.

szoke posted on Feb 8 2007 at 03:52 PM said:
You can try this company : http://www.mytego.com
That's really cool - and they do support the gp2x as well as I just checked. Basically just a customised sticker but its inexpensive and according to the site easy to remove if you get bored with it.

i ordered a black back plate with mario/sonic pics on it. Not that cool looking but i just wanted to check out wat it was like since one plate only costs like 12 bucks shipped.

I just designed, and bought one of these MyTego skinsets. I usually skin my portables as they take a beating with my active lifestyle. I'll post a review of them when it arrives. I dont expect the quality to match the "Battle Armor" Skins I bought for my GBA SP from DecalGirl.com, but this is the first skin manufacturer Ive heard of that supports the GP2X. Plus the ability to design my own was kinda fun.

A bit pricey (for both sides skinned 19.00 US shipped) :eek: . But they do accept Paypal, and I could be pleasantly surprised by the quality....Here's Hopin'. ;) Bar none thats what the local Gamestop charges for their cheap ass skins for the nds.

Apparently if your not satisfied with the outcome of your design they'll make you a new one for free or failing that refund your money.

I'd post the pics of my finished design but I had my email printed on the back skin should I lose or misplace the unit- :unsure: --like thats ever gonna happen, its my constant companion! :rolleyes: But you never know.

censor out your email... blur in photoshop or even just block out in paint. Id like to see it. Id post mine but i don't know how to find it now

Jackd posted on Feb 8 2007 at 09:33 PM said:
censor out your email... blur in photoshop or even just block out in paint. Id like to see it. Id post mine but i don't know how to find it now

Can you walk me through how to put the image in here? As both are sitting on my desktop right now I just dont know how to link em. It shows up as a jpeg icon but the extension is .aspx

I tried the insert picture icon, and typed in the path but it wouldnt accept it. Something about not accepting dynamic images or some such. I then blocked out my email in paintshop and saved both as jpeg and tried again, no luck. I know Im just missing something stupid here.

Back