Competition Pro....

NickLoTurco

Website
www.hitthesport.com
Could I use my competition pro USB joystick on uae4all for example? I'm in work today so can't try it out. Is it just plug and play? This goes for all the other emulators too. (I'm thinking for when the TV out cable finally arrives).

Not sure if it helps Nick but the basic compatibility list doesn't currently show those http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list#External_Game_Controllers though I am aware their has been more discussion elsewhere about controllers lately so you're probably referring to something you've gleaned there.

The biggest barrier at the moment isn't whether the controller works on the Pandora, but whether the app supports it. A lot of the ports from GP2X, Wiz, etc. use fixed controls and don't even look for other controllers. You'll probably have more luck with PC ports (especially the ones which use SDL) but there are still very few apps which will work with a USB controller as-is. I've no doubt support will get better as the software matures to support these kinds of features.

SteveM said:
The biggest barrier at the moment isn't whether the controller works on the Pandora, but whether the app supports it. A lot of the ports from GP2X, Wiz, etc. use fixed controls and don't even look for other controllers. You'll probably have more luck with PC ports (especially the ones which use SDL) but there are still very few apps which will work with a USB controller as-is. I've no doubt support will get better as the software matures to support these kinds of features.

I do hope apps support extra controllers as something I really want to be able to do is pop around a friends house with nothing but my Pandora and two USB controllers and demand that we play Mario Kart (SNES)!

I would also like the apps to be able to detect when a USB joystick is plugged in and automatically alter the configuration to suit...though I reckon that as long as apps/emus can be started by specifying a configuration file this could be done using a simple enough script. Man, that will a nice teeny-tiny project to work on when I eventually get my Pandy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it should also be technically possible to write some kind of mapper at a lower level (kernel module or something) which could map USB joysticks to Pandora controls, allowing unmodified software to use external controllers.

SteveM said:
The biggest barrier at the moment isn't whether the controller works on the Pandora, but whether the app supports it.

Whilst I totally agree, its a bit chicken and egg isn't it? So we really need both. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe PicoDrive supports USB controllers at the moment, but I'm not aware of anything else currently doing so. At the very least, that's one way to test. :p

if it helps, Uae4all works with a USB mouse, as mine works perfectly using a hub. Spent far too long playing Cannon Fodder last night....

as far as external controller compatibility goes with a lot of the emulators... I'm pretty sure the addition to qjoypad either in the appstore or fully installable as an ipk should handle mapping ANY external controller visible by Linux to the Pandora controls. that is the one I know works for a fact, because I use it on my desktop and laptop with every emulator I have installed and every controller I've owned.

Back