Joysticks Thread, Don't Shout At Me!

Svartalf said:
Pleng said:
I'm just waiting for a USB version of the old Quickshot II-style joysticks.

Mr Men Olympics just wouldn't feel the same with anything else!!!

1Mach_-_Quickshot_2_bxd.jpg
Ascii and ye shall receive.... ;)

Unfortunately there seems to be no way of actually buying that device :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
Unfortunately there seems to be no way of actually buying that device :(
Yep, got all excited but seems that the store page has gone from the AtariAge site.

Found this which is probably the same.

I'd be really interested to know if I could plug my old Spectrum and even early PC 9pin joysticks in via the same connector or whether its limited to Atari 2600 joysticks. Although have a couple of those so really just need to find a vendor in the UK. Back to searching...

Edit - I think I'm wrong and its not the same - but very hard to work out from the image what exactly it is.

andyB911 said:
Found this which is probably the same.

Looks to me like a joypad with a 9-pin port in the back, right?

andyB911 said:
I'd be really interested to know if I could plug my old Spectrum and even early PC 9pin joysticks in via the same connector or whether its limited to Atari 2600 joysticks. Although have a couple of those so really just need to find a vendor in the UK. Back to searching...

I'm pretty sure most of the joysticks of the day used the same pinout for most things, although "extras" like second fire buttons and autofire weren't always on the same pins. I don't know if you ever looked inside one, but it's really simple - just a bunch of microswitches wired directly to the DB9 connector. That's probably why there's so many DIY adapters out there - you can hack up an old USB controller and figure out where to connect the switches to just by following the PCB tracks. I've not seen a commercial adapter though, only full controllers with the extra port. Hmm... maybe it's time I dug the old Zip Stick out!

Svartalf said:
andyB911 said:
Yep, got all excited but seems that the store page has gone from the AtariAge site.
Heh... Try THIS link- I think they're still available there... Moreover the CompetitionPro USB stick will give you most of that sort of controller fun.

Unfortunately both the links this site gives to buy the device are no longer available. One of the links is the atariage site and the other is liksang, which was sent out of business a while ago now.

Massive said:
Unfortunately both the links this site gives to buy the device are no longer available. One of the links is the atariage site and the other is liksang, which was sent out of business a while ago now.
Well...hell... I thought I'd scored a good one. The cable dongle for all the old classic controllers that I concurred with Prometheus on, as "ugly" as it is, would appear to be the only viable one. I think 25CAD is a good deal for such a device.

Svartalf said:
Massive said:
Well...hell... I thought I'd scored a good one. The cable dongle for all the old classic controllers that I concurred with Prometheus on, as "ugly" as it is, would appear to be the only viable one. I think 25CAD is a good deal for such a device.

Yup. Will probably get one when funds increase (not looking likely until after christmas now!) Then all I have to do is locate and old Quickshot II joystick...

There is talk about the wireless 360 controller in this thread. Doesn't that use proprietary wireless? Is there a Linux/ARM driver for the USB receiver?

hobbyman II said:
taking the mickey..... :p

I read the above and my eyes glaze over....how on earth can you force a USB connector in the wrong way round?, do you normally insert USB devices with the aid of an hammer?, does not some sort of bell go off in your head once you are applying over 4 or 5 ounces of force?, it must take a fair bit of shoving to actually insert one the wrong way round, I`m sort of stunned anyone could actually accomplish this feat without realising they would be better off reversing it, don`t you know the USB logo goes to the top?.

end mickeytake.... :lol:
You laugh, but my wife managed to do this on her laptop with a webcam. I didn't know until she started complaining that the webcam wasn't turning on with Skype. I went over to pull it out and practically had to prop my foot up on the laptop to remove it. :)

She looked dumbfounded when I told her she had it in wrong and she told me she had no issues with plugging it in. Fortunately the port still works.....

javaJake said:
Someone had a perfect comment about how the general public always find a way to mess things up.

My personal favourite is that if you make something idiot-proof, they'll always come up with a better idiot.

Back