Will It Support Two Usb Joysticks?

JayFoxRox said:
ashdjones: If it doesn't, it shouldn't really matter because I wrote some libusb functions for both, the original Xbox Pad and the Xbox 360 Pad which both support all commands of the original drivers.
I will port it when I get a pandora in my hands ;)
Excellent. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
theoddbot said:
The host port is 480mbps only. Unless you have a 480mbps joystick you'll need a hub anyway. So don't worry too much about an adaptor for the OTG port.

I thought that was an issue with the OMAP board that was going to be fixed?

jhoff80 said:
theoddbot said:
The host port is 480mbps only. Unless you have a 480mbps joystick you'll need a hub anyway. So don't worry too much about an adaptor for the OTG port.

I thought that was an issue with the OMAP board that was going to be fixed?

Nope, this issue with the beagle board was that it has no USB host at all (except OTG). The 480mbps only thing is a limitation of the SoC.

theoddbot said:
I am thinking that for two joysticks it would be nice if the OTG supports full USB 1.1 so I could use a super small USB 1.1 hub off of that for Keyboard/Mouse 2x joysticks and then just hook the USB 2.0 direct to my external multi-100GB hard drive.

It is kind of confusing that the OMAP USB is not supporting 1.1, but you are correct, 90% of users will have a USB 2.0 hub that can be used to connect the USB 1.1 devices.

theoddbot said:
The 480mbps only thing is a limitation of the SoC.
I also thought this was a fixable problem. :blink: The Devs never sayed, that we can't connect a 1.1 Device directly onto the Pandora, which was afaik one of the big Features of the Pandora, a powered USB Hub where you can directly plug everything into it, what you want and this means in my eyes everything without needing a Hub! ^^""" If I want to plug a Joystick in or a USB Mouse or external Keyboard or whatever low powered, I don't want to be forced to plug a Hub in between. :(
I'm sure TI was smart enough to design the OMAP USB modes like they are on every other Device onto this Planet. I've never known about a Device that only supports the High Speed mode. So what should be the reason for this?

fusion_power said:
theoddbot said:
The 480mbps only thing is a limitation of the SoC.
If I want to plug a Joystick in or a USB Mouse or external Keyboard or whatever low powered, I don't want to be forced to plug a Hub in between. :(

You can still use the OTG port with a barrel-style adaptor.
usb-mini_web.jpg

I'm sure TI was smart enough to design the OMAP USB modes like they are on every other Device onto this Planet. I've never known about a Device that only supports the High Speed mode. So what should be the reason for this?

Probably to save space in the silicon, high-speed USB is pretty much a different protocol, so to be backwards compatible would take up twice as much room.

Are you guys kidding me? I MUST use an USB-Hub in order to connect a default usb keyboard to the usb host-port of the pandora?
Can anyone from the Dev-Team reply with more details?

//Edit: As of 15th of august 2008 the wiki says:

Will I be able to use USB and SDIO accessories with my Pandora?

There would not be much point to having a USB host port if you couldn't. Any USB or SDIO device should work with Pandora, as long as drivers are available. Standard mass storage devices (USB memory sticks, keyboards, gamepads, external hard drives, etc.) should work fine out of the box. Many devices like GPS receivers, EVDO modems and cameras should be compatible, but not necessarily all makes and models. There will be a list of known-working devices on this wiki as soon as there are Pandoras to test them on.

Source: http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ

Lets hope this didn't change..

fusion_power said:
It does seem weird and annoying. But I suspect the USB OTG port was more important to them (Texas Instruments, maker of the OMAP) than the USB host port. Because the OMAP is meant not for desktop PCs but for various small things like smart phones and handheld media players, which is what USB OTG ("On The Go") is for. Hence you've got an OTG port that can do it all (all three speeds, as either host or device).

I don't know why they (TI) put in the separate EHCI port at all. It may have been to suit the needs of one particular (TI) customer application, and that one (TI) customer only needed High Speed mode.

[edited by Jaxartes to clarify whom I'm referring to as "them", when that's TI]

JayFoxRox said:
Are you guys kidding me? I MUST use an USB-Hub in order to connect a default usb keyboard to the usb host-port of the pandora?
Can anyone from the Dev-Team reply with more details?

//Edit: As of 15th of august 2008 the wiki says:

Lets hope this didn't change..

From MWeston himself:
MWeston said:
Remember that if his design does not support High Speed mode on the host port, it will have to connect to the OTG port in host mode. This is the OMAP limitation I brought up a while back.
MWeston said:
That problem was timing violations and it has a solution, but the OMAP USB host port only supporting High Speed mode is a feature, not a mistake. The interface to various PHY's is different based on the speed you need (HS vs FS/LS) and so you only get one choice I guess.

This isn't really the end of the world (although it may seem like it).

All you need is a USB OTG to USB jack adapter for your single USB 1.1 device.

https://serialio.com//store/product_info.ph...de9ffaf01f4ac04
USB-A Female to OTG mini-A Male serial adapter cable - 6 inches

Ideal for hooking up USB keyboards and other USB devices to mini-A USB On-The-Go (OTG) connectors used on many PDAs, mobile computers, and hand-held devices.
(I am not sure this is the correct mini-A port, and this doesn't look like a good deal either. I hope it comes in the box with the Pandora if it is hard to come by.)

If you needed 2 USB 1.1 devices (say a mouse and a keyboard), or 3 or 4 (add a joystick, and another), then you simply need a USB hub that supports USB 2.0 and will put the 1.1 information over the 2.0 protocol.

If you need a single USB 2.0 port, no adapter is required.

theoddbot said:
usb-mini_web.jpg
I don't know exactly, what "USB ON THE GO" means. I only know powered and unpowered USB jacks. We had the (limited) unpowered USB onto the GP2X and we couldn't plug in a Mouse etc. directly. AFAIK the Pandora has an powered and a unpowered USB jack so I guess I have to use the powered one to use USB Devices directly.
I thought the unpowered Pandora USB is just for usage like onto the GP2X: connecting the Device with the PC. ^_^

peca said:
I guess that any USB keyboard with integrated USB 2.0 HS HUB can function and connect mouse and 1.1 FS/LS flash too,
Dang, I hadn't thought of that! Good job Peca :). That should work great.

fusion_power said:
theoddbot said:
usb-mini_web.jpg
I don't know exactly, what "USB ON THE GO" means. I only know powered and unpowered USB jacks. We had the (limited) unpowered USB onto the GP2X and we couldn't plug in a Mouse etc. directly. AFAIK the Pandora has an powered and a unpowered USB jack so I guess I have to use the powered one to use USB Devices directly.
I thought the unpowered Pandora USB is just for usage like onto the GP2X: connecting the Device with the PC. ^_^

All you need to do is steal the power from the "powered" jack and connect two wires to the unpowered jack.

It isn't the end of the world, as I said.

The GP2X not only had "unpowered" USB, it wasn't even terminated. I am guessing that those two pins/traces on the GP2X just went straight to the BGA pads on the MMSP2.

We are so far beyond that with the Pandora that I don't know why we are talking about it (except that it clearly needs to be talked about).

If all we need is one of these for any device that isn't USB 2.0 then I am fine with that:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...usb%202.0%20hub

(look at that "USB Hub Man", isn't that awesome?)

I can't think of many scenarios that I would want just a single USB device that is 1.1 outside of a mouse, and the Pandora does have touchscreen. (or some wacky experimental Atmega AVRUSB, but that isn't going to be tiny on its own anyway).

I didn't count a single gamepad, because with a gamepad you probably want to use a TV-Out anyway, so you wouldn't notice a tiny hub.

USB-OTG doesn't mean powered or unpowered. It means it can be a host or a peripheral. I've used USB-OTG devices before, and with an usb mini to usb adapter, it was able to provide 100mw (less than the 500mw usb is supposed to provide).

Julius said:
You can also connect Wii, or PS3 controllers wireless over Bluetooth.
I've heard people say this, but how exactly would it work for say a PS3 controller? Do I just turn it on while the Pandora is in 'Bluetooth Scanning Mode' or something and it'll connect?

No, usually what happens is you have to turn on the controller first, then you type in a command in Linux (or for Ubuntu users you use a nice little GUI tool) to discover and connect to bluetooth devices.

Tensuke said:
Julius said:
You can also connect Wii, or PS3 controllers wireless over Bluetooth.
I've heard people say this, but how exactly would it work for say a PS3 controller? Do I just turn it on while the Pandora is in 'Bluetooth Scanning Mode' or something and it'll connect?

Not sure about the PS3, but the Wii controller has a "reconnect" button. Basically, yeah: start the Pandora bluetooth software and start scanning, hit the reconnect button and, assuming the Pandora has drivers for it, they will sync together. If drivers haven't been written yet, it may connect as an "unknown device" or refuse to connect at all; depends on how the software is written.

Tensuke said:

The PS3 controller uses an odd pairing scheme, (it pairs over USB) so you'll need to compile sixpair.c for ARM, connect it via USB, and pair it. Then, disconnect, and the PS3 controller will connect to the Pandora fine. This will likely be my first how-to that I write.

JayFoxRox said:
ashdjones: If it doesn't, it shouldn't really matter because I wrote some libusb functions for both, the original Xbox Pad and the Xbox 360 Pad which both support all commands of the original drivers.
I will port it when I get a pandora in my hands ;)
sweetness!

What about the xb360's wireless pad, you know since its bluetooth?

PPD-X said:
What about the xb360's wireless pad, you know since its bluetooth?

360 wireless gaming pads are not bluetooth, they're a proprietary wireless solution. Therefore, only wired pads will work with the Pandora.

Back