Will It Support Two Usb Joysticks?

AireTamStorm said:
PPD-X said:
What about the xb360's wireless pad, you know since its bluetooth?

360 wireless gaming pads are not bluetooth, they're a proprietary wireless solution. Therefore, only wired pads will work with the Pandora.

Well, if you have the Wireless USB adapter, its now not so propitiatory. ;)

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xbox_360_controller_on_Linux
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xbox360Controller
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4893368

There, now its pandoratized (sort of).

Last edited by a moderator:
PSyMastR said:

Proprietary wireless is proprietary wireless, dongle or not. :p
I guess this means people can use their wireless pads with it. I'll stick to bluetooth, pretty much every peripheral I have (Wiimote, DualShock III, Apple Keyboard, Headsets, Cell Phone) use it.

AireTamStorm said:
PSyMastR said:

I guess this means people can use their wireless pads with it. I'll stick to bluetooth, pretty much every peripheral I have (Wiimote, DualShock III, Apple Keyboard, Headsets, Cell Phone) use it.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/propitiatory

I think he meant that to avoid a conflict Microsoft has released a receiver :lol: :lol:

Does that dongle let you connect more than one X360 controller?

Chip said:
nubie said:

Did you mean proprietary?

Microsoft's wireless controllers use a closed standard of communication. You cannot (legally) make compatible peripherals without licensing the technology from MS. That is what makes them "proprietary".

NO!!

AireTamStorm said:
PSyMastR said:

I meant what I said. I was wondering if anyone caught that, but it seems even me pointing it out wasn't enough. Are you off your game Chip?

I fully understand proprietary. The people above had confused proprietary with impossible to use, then one of them spelled proprietary "propitiatory". I thought it was funny because my vocabulary contains the word propitiatory, and apparently I was one of the only ones to notice.

Chip said:
Microsoft's wireless controllers use a closed standard of communication. You cannot (legally) make compatible peripherals without licensing the technology from MS. That is what makes them "proprietary".
Are you sure about this chip? Lots of things are proprietary, but they are reverse engineered for the purposes of interoperability.

Squidge said:
Chip said:
Are you sure about this chip? Lots of things are proprietary, but they are reverse engineered for the purposes of interoperability.

As in it would be legal to reverse engineer it?

Although the desire to reverse engineer something that comes in a pack with a receiver is low.

Squidge said:
Chip said:

I think Chip meant, you cannot make controllers for the 360 without licensing with microsoft, not, "You cannot make microsoft peripherals work with other systems".

nubie said:
AireTamStorm said:
PSyMastR said:

I think he meant that to avoid a conflict Microsoft has released a receiver :lol: :lol:

Does that dongle let you connect more than one X360 controller?

I believe the dongle allows for 2 xbox360 controllers at once.

Squidge said:
Chip said:

Pretty sure.

Chip said:
Squidge said:
Chip said:

Are you sure about this chip? Lots of things are proprietary, but they are reverse engineered for the purposes of interoperability.Pretty sure.
I hadn't read about that. It is dumb. It stifles innovation and ultimately in this case leads to a worse product that might mean loss of sales. But then its what we probably expect from the likes of Microsoft, Sony and Apple.

Looks like PS3 controllers then.

Chip said:
Squidge said:
Chip said:

Pretty sure.

Reverse engineering is a tricky area. If it's patented technology, then it's actually illegal to use it without license, regardless of whether you copied the patent notes or actually black box reverse engineered it.
However, making it a patent means that the knowledge of how it's done is available, and while someone might not be able to use that idea specifically, they might be able to do something similar you may not want them to try. In such a case, some companies may take a risk and not patent their technology. In these cases, where a patent doesn't exist, it's most likely legal to reverse engineer for the purpose of interoperability.
In this case, there is a patent (I think that's the right one) so Microsoft has final say in who can use it.

Back