Will It Support Two Usb Joysticks?

greyWiz

Still Fresh
Hi, I was thinking about using Pandora as a multimedia center. One of the main things I'd like to be able to do is to play old games with my daughter, so here's my question: since it has TV output, could we plug-in two USB joysticks and play the games on TV? I saw at the specs that there will be two USB ports, but I don't understand the differences between them.

Thanks in advance,
Edgard

The Pandora will very likely support that.
The differences between the two USB ports is that one is USB host (like the kind on your computer) and one is a USB slave port (used for transfering data, charging, etc.)

The OS will support two gamepads (that don't require obscure drivers), but it will also depend on the apps. Some may support USB Joysticks, whilst others may not. Depends on the developer.

PlopperZ said:
The Pandora will very likely support that.
The differences between the two USB ports is that one is ...
Is USB-OTG not a slave port.
Mistabeen said:
I have been asking myself the same question. Would it also be possible to use a USB hub for 2 gamepads, or perhaps even use this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12683 (alltho I wouldn't trust the quality to much ^^)

I don't see why not.

Last edited by a moderator:
MagicPants said:
This is a little off topic, but could I use one Pandora to charge another Pandora?
Theoretically, yes, since the Pandora can charge off of USB.

USB-OTG is not always a slave. When an OTG cable is used, it becomes the host, and when a normal cable is used, it is the slave. Something to do with the pins on the connector. But, you may need power to the USB-OTG line for it to work; e.g. devices like the n800 require a separate power source to use the USB-OTG functionality.

AireTamStorm said:
MagicPants said:
This is a little off topic, but could I use one Pandora to charge another Pandora?

So could I have two Pandoras charge each other?

Would this create free energy? Would this cause the universe to end?

MagicPants said:
AireTamStorm said:
MagicPants said:

Sounds like you're on the gravy train to Venture Capital city! Unless the universe ends... =(

MagicPants said:
AireTamStorm said:
MagicPants said:
Theoretically, yes, since the Pandora can charge off of USB.So could I have two Pandoras charge each other?

Would this create free energy? Would this cause the universe to end?If the two Pandoras get together in this way will we have little miniPandas?

Regarding USB OTG, I found this link which explained it quite well:
Let Your USB Devices Speak Together

USB "On-The-Go" (OTG) There is also a supplement to USB 2.0 called USB "On-The-Go" (OTG) which supports point-to-point peer style hookups for USB devices that are often used without a PC host. Few end-user OTG products exist yet; newer embedded Linux systems can be used to implement them. OTG relies heavily on those new USB "Mini" connectors, and supports low power operation (battery friendly).

The key change in OTG is defining a new "Dual-Role" type of peripheral, which can become a low-power USB host when you connect it to another peripheral. Most OTG-capable peripherals will have special Mini-AB sockets (new in OTG). Because of how the USB "mini" plugs and jacks work, Mini-AB sockets accept either the Mini-B peripheral jack at one end of a USB cable or the (new in OTG) Mini-A host jack at its other end. Use the peripheral end, and they start out as a peripheral. Use the host end, and they start out like a USB host ... so that you could print directly from your camera or phone, hook a keyboard up to your PDA, or swap songs with your friend's MP3 player.

This link has a good (enlarged) pic.
MUSB04_PCS.jpg

MagicPants said:
AireTamStorm said:
MagicPants said:

We should make a nuclear powered pandora

MagicPants said:
AireTamStorm said:
MagicPants said:

Not really. All you'd be doing is transferring one batteries' power to the other.

Plus if one is on (which I gather it would be to enable OTG) it would waste power, so you would eventually lose power :p

Hi, thanks for all the replies. I really loved that 2-controller set from DealExtreme, I guess I'll buy one of those and see what happens on my PC.

About the USB OTG - is it a mini-USB connection? If so, is there some kind of USB/mini-USB adapter?

Thanks a lot!
Edgard

Squidge said:
The OS will support two gamepads (that don't require obscure drivers), but it will also depend on the apps. Some may support USB Joysticks, whilst others may not. Depends on the developer.
Will it have drivers for Xbox 360 pads?

ashdjones: If it doesn't, it shouldn't really matter because I wrote some libusb functions for both, the original Xbox Pad and the Xbox 360 Pad which both support all commands of the original drivers.
I will port it when I get a pandora in my hands ;)

Back