Complete Wiz Battery Test

b1ueskycomp1ex

Open Sauce Fanatic & AMD Fanboy
Website
https
EDIT: Keep in mind that not all wiz consoles are exactly the same, keep in mind that the older your battery gets the less efficient it will be, and also keep in mind that battery test is NOT a real world test, and battery life could be higher or lower depending on what you're running and how it performs!

Ok, so the battery test app has been out for quite some time, and I've seen a few numbers here and there, but it seems like there's no conclusive list of runtimes at different brightness levels, or at different clock speeds. So, over the course of the next few days I'll be testing the wiz at various clock speeds and brightness levels and then posting the results to this thread. If this thread could be stickied it would be much appreciated ;)

What clock speeds do you think I should test? I was considering 300, 533, and 800Mhz. 300 Because it's the lowest I can go and still run the final fantasy games on SNES fairly comfortably, and I'm assuming NES, Genesis, and SMS will run full speed at 300Mhz, and in my tests I could still run magical drop 2 on GNGEO without sound at full speed at 300Mhz ;)

I'll also try to make a list of things that function properly at the different clock speeds.

I'm only testing at the highest and lowest brightness settings for each clock speed.
All times are approximate, give or take 10 minutes.
Difference - 50 Minutes

Comment:
You get at least 45 minutes more time on the lowest brightness setting, over the higher one at 533Mhz. Once I recharge I'll be going for how long the unit stays alive at 800Mhz, on the highest brightness setting (I'm assuming this will take the least time xD)

What runs?
NES - Full speed
SNES - Most games run at a decent playable speed (45-60, depending on the game and whether or not the audio hack or transparencies are on or off)
SMS - Full Speed
Genesis - Full Speed
Neo Geo - More simple games (magical drop, pang, etc.) run at full speed, some other games have slowdowns.
GBA - Most games run at either full speed, or a decent enough speed to be VERY playable, depending on stretching, etc.
Difference - CHARGING...

What runs?
NES - Full speed.
SNES - Near full speed for every game, barring MODE7 and SUPERFX Games (most of which are playable.)
SMS - Full Speed.
Genesis - Full Speed.
Neo Geo - Most games run full speed.
GBA - Most games run full speed.

300Mhz
Lowest Brightness - 8 hours
Highest Brightness - 7 hours, 10 minutes
Difference - CHARGING...

What runs?
NES - Very Close to, if not full speed.
SNES - Most games are unplayable, with the exception of the Final fantasy series and strategy games, unless layers/transparencies are disabled for certain games.
SMS - Very Close to, if not full speed.
Genesis - Amazingly enough, full speed for most games.
Neo Geo - Several games run at near full speed with sound off
GBA - Several games run at near full speed, some run at full speed. Pokemon is full speed. ;)

So, what it looks like is that between each considerable jump in clock speed, you get 1Hour of extra time, at least on the high brightness setting. What this would seem to mean is that at 300Mhz with low brightness, you could run the console for at least 7 1/2 hours!

UPDATE! 8 hours with low brightness!

If I'm not mistaken, can't different SD cards impact the power consumption too?
As in, higher capacity, shorter battery?

RupeeClock said:
If I'm not mistaken, can't different SD cards impact the power consumption too?
As in, higher capacity, shorter battery?

I would think it depends upon what you're running, and whether or not it's constantly asking the SD card for data. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I THINK the rom image is stored in ram when you're running it assuming you're doing emulation (my main use for the wiz).

But for something like playing MP3s/video the content would most likely be streaming in through the SD card, so it depends on the situation.

Like I said, batterytest isn't a real-world application, but it should give you a rough estimate as to how long you can keep your wiz on 100% CPU load before you have to start worrying about getting it plugged in.

EDIT: Also, battery test writes the text file to the SD card every 5 minutes, so I guess that could be considered adding the SD card. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought the difference the lowest and highest brightness would have been more than 50 minutes.
I usually have the screen set to medium or less medium, so i s'pose it'd be about 30 mins compared to lowest brightness.

Looks like Wiz has better battery life than I expected. At 2000mAh it'd mean that the 800MHz test is drawing under 388.4A at ~3.7V, or ~1436.9W. I think is quite a bit less than what Pandora will draw at 600MHz with the screen at full brightness. Good thing Pandora has such a high capacity battery.

Exophase said:
Looks like Wiz has better battery life than I expected. At 2000mAh it'd mean that the 800MHz test is drawing under 388.4A at ~3.7V, or ~1436.9W. I think is quite a bit less than what Pandora will draw at 600MHz with the screen at full brightness. Good thing Pandora has such a high capacity battery.

Do you think it's possible that there could ever be a higher capacity battery for the wiz? Would it be possible for a place that specializes in batteries to build a battery that's got a higher capacity, or is the battery basically maxed out for it's size?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's possible that one could at least exist, but Wiz is kind of pushing the high end for capacity density. In order for someone to make a custom battery there'd have to be a lot of demand, which I don't think the Wiz would generate, even if a large percentage of current owners wanted one. The battery life is already pretty good so I don't think a lot of people would be willing to pay $40 for a different one anyway.

The difference between standard clock rate and 800mhz is, to me, surprisingly low.

It's pretty nifty that you can clock down for say, NES, SMS, etc., and then be able to clock back up for something like SNES or Neo-geo, or C64, etc. Pretty nifty.

Honestly I thought it wouldn't last that long at 800Mhz either. Well, that solves that. I think I'll just not bother doing the other tests, since it looks fairly even across the board.

Back