Connector Layout Opinions

Connectors for front and back

• Change nothing, the pictures are fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Move SD cards to front, move DC Jack and USB to the back

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

MWeston said:
The people of this forum wanted a hardware controlled volume dial which is what they got.
Yes, we really want that, thanks.

Personally I'd prefer a wheel, but seems like I'm the minority so well.. It's not such a big deal anyway. There is a slider on the NDS and it's not so bad.

I agree for the "all connectors to the back". Remember the Dreamcast pad with wires to the front ? That just doesn't make sense, it's not supposed to plug to our belly button but to the console. Ideally, everything should be to the back including the SD drives, but since there is not enough room it's more sensible to put the drives to the front. When you're using the pandora there is nothing hanging from there, the SDs being 100% internals. (hopefully !)

Last edited by a moderator:
Clad said:
Ideally, everything should be to the back including the SD drives, but since there is not enough room it's more
To be honest, I wouldn't want to turn the thing around every time I wanted to swap and sd card whilst developing. That would be quite annoying. SD Cards on the front or sides is best I think.

Sphinxter said:
I liked the gp2x rocker volume control, not easily bumped like a slider or a rotary.
You know, except by software. :lol:

I'd prefer all cables to go at the back if possible. If this means one or both SD slots have to be moved, perhaps one could go at the front and one on the side, or one on either side.
As for volume control, I think the slider is a good solution as long as it's slightly inset to avoid accidentally changing the volume when the device is pocketed. Not sure about the scale to which the volume should change, but a log scale sounds sensible enough.

Slider sucks, it's not accurate enough. You never get the optimal volume, always too low or too high. Try the DS and you'll understand.

cowai said:
Slider sucks, it's not accurate enough. You never get the optimal volume, always too low or too high. Try the DS and you'll understand.
I have a DS and I don't find the volume slider difficult or annoying at all. Now, the materials it is made out of...cheap plastic making it wobbly, that isn't my cup of tea. Hopefully the slider on the pandora will be better designed.

Listening to DaveC and peeps, I change my mind to having a volume wheel (as long as it is kinda hard to turn, I like the chrome idea) :D

An option not in the poll is one SD slot front and one back, each in the middle like the NDS does with the DS and GBA carts. This would let you decide where you wanted your "always in" sd and where you find most convenient for the "frequent swap" sd.

Also, while I guess there are some questions about whether sdio is viable, it gives you the choice of where those might go - a camera might be better in front, bluetooth/gps/etc would be better out of the way in back.

a

I did not vote, because I feel that the SD card readers and usb ports are fine where they are. However, I feel it would be better to move the DC jack to the back.

Back