Consider Buying Gp2x But Live In Distant Country

lei75jkt

Still Fresh
Well here is my problem

I am really interested to buy GP2X, the problem is i live in Indonesia and http://gp2x.co.uk/ doesn't ship to Indonesia, i can get it from www.play-asia.com but i'm afraid about the guarantee and replacement if my GP2X broken (this is my first time try to buy online :p) and also from what i heard www.play-asia.com doesn't have the replacement pad (new joystick).

In Indonesia doesn't have GP2X community, i already try asking in several big forum in Indonesia but none seems to be interested (only PSP, GBA & NDS Fanboys here :p), so i a little afraid if something goes wrong when i purchase GP2X outside Indonesia and can only rely on this community.

Please post your opinion about this, as for having GP2X no need to convince me cause i am definitely will buy it :)

If it's the replacement cap with gp2x written on it. You might as well just go with the default cap on the value pack edition. I think they where meant to replace the previous caps from earlier gp2x models.

PS And if you need an extra cap they do sell the MKII edition caps

Hmm I ordered from Play-Asia while I was in Korea and had no problems. I ordered the replacement joystick cap and a screen protector and it came within 2-3 weeks.

I usually don't buy online but i read their policy and shipping information and felt comfortable so i tried and had no problems.

I wouldn't worry about a local Indonesian community because the community is worldwide online. If you have access to the internet, you will have no problems enjoying your gp2x. I am living in Canada and I don't know anyone who has a gp2x around here besides myself.

Let me say this, It is the most affordable and convenient handheld i know of that is available on the market. Once you have the system, where ever you are in the world, you will have no problem finding media, software, memory cards, or batteries ^_^.

Welcome to the community lei75jkt.

I bought mine from Play-asia and never had a problem, and for your case they are a much better choice than gp2x.co.uk, play-asia are located in Hong Kong which is closer to Indonesia than London, and this makes it cheaper (shipping costs are less), the joystick is fine, but you might want to get few spare caps as a precaution (less than $3 a piece if I recall correctly).

Now don't forget that you are gonna need at least an SD card and four rechargable Ni-mh batteries that are 2500 ma or more + a charger.
I also advic you to get a tv out cable + AC adaptor, you never know when you might need them.

Welcome to the community again :)

Edit: typo + get a screen protector, it is a must too.

The 2500mAh ones are sometimes hard to find. 2000mAh or so works good.
I don't use my TV out cable much.

Nobody I know has a 2X.

Looks like I'm just gonna be aping what everyone else had posted here in saying don't worry about it. Just go and order.

I live in Australia, got mine from PlayAsia and have had no problems.
A mate of mine got his from LikSang (before they closed down) and his was faulty, he returned it and got a replacement no problems (the fool sent it back using DHL though, cost him a packet in postage).

As for no-one in Indonesia interested, that's what this forum & community is for. I know no-one (besides my mate mentioned earlier) who has a GP2X locally.

Just go for it, and join in here having fun.

wow thanks for the suggestion :)

well i want to order the value pack from www.play-asia.com which contain
* GP2X Game System
* USB Cable
* CD-Rom
* Headphones
* Rechargable Battries (4pcs, AA size)
* 5 Games Included (1 Demo, 4 Full Games)
* Hand Strap
* Protection Pouch

i also want to order

- GP2X TV Out Cable
- GP2X Power Adaptor
- GP2X Carrying Case
- Kingmax Secure Digital Card 2GB

as for SD card the rate different is huge between Kingmax and Sandisk Extreme® III both are 2 GB wow :p

is kingmax Reliable ? or should i get SanDisk instead ?

many thanks for the help guys :)

lei75jkt: Do you have electronic markets in Indonesia?

If you do, i recommend you check the price of SD cards there. In Korea, I went to the electronic market
and was able to find a 4gig SD card for $30 US so i got a "transcend" and a "Great Performance" and they work just fine.

sure we have electronic markets here in indonesia :p

i just want to know which one is better is it kingmax or sandisk ?
but looking at the price maybe sandisk

There is a compatibility chart somewhere. I have the Transcend 4 GB High speed card (150x) and it was a lot cheaper than Sandisc and it works great.
Wasn't the protective screen included in the value pack.

lei75jkt said:
sure we have electronic markets here in indonesia :p

i just want to know which one is better is it kingmax or sandisk ?
but looking at the price maybe sandisk
I'm pretty sure they'll both work fine, the '2x supports most cards - the chart at http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SD_card_compatibility says that kingmax 2GBs work.

Cards that are more expensive but the same size generally have speed advantages - so if you buy a cheaper one you'll have to wait longer when transferring files to your card. It doesn't make any difference when actually using the card in the gp2x though.

Also, get a card reader. The gp2x has been known to have problems when trying to use its USB connectivity, and it'll be much easier to read/write to/from your SD card using a reader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back